Buick 215 in a 620!

Joseph_change

Okay guys, i'm starting the research and parts accumulating phase of a Buick 215 aluminum swap into my '74 620. I realize that this is not going to easy, and its going to take months. Just putting this out there for another source of info. Any info is welcome and needed. As i said, i'm just now starting the research phase of this project, and and plan on becoming an expert on this swap before I even buy a single part.

• Like 1
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Info.  This engine was used in 1960's Oldsmobile and Buick compact cars.  And in the Triumph TR8, and probably other vehicles.  To fit your 620 don't be surprised if the left and right exhaust manifolds have to be an ecclectic mix of Olds, Buick and TR8 parts.  It can be done, but you may learn a few more curse words in the process and post a few "for sale, unused parts" ads.  Good luck, this deserves to be done.

• Like 2

The Buick aluminum V6 was a popular swap back in the day into 620, 521, 240, 260, 280 Z cars.  Some did the 411 the 510s and even sum of the other models.  The hot setup was the Buick V6 with a 2 speed power glide automatic.  A good stall converter and a little work to the motor and trans and you had what we called a "sleeper".  Great little motors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Datsun+620+buick+V6+powered&biw=1280&bih=601&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j1KjVMLuG9e1oQTKn4KQCg&ved=0CCYQsAQ

There was a hooker kit made for this swap.  Guys truck SWDP Club has the hooker kit in it with the Buick V6.  I think his is the aluminum block V6.

One caution with these early GM aluminum engines.  Most of us dorks didn't read the instructions and ran them with woefully low Anti Freeze concentrations!  Result?  Many such surviving engines today don't have cooling passages, they have yellow sponge filling the coolant passages!  If you are buying one, insist on pulling the "freeze plugs" to insure that you are not buying someone else's "as is" problem!  50% Prestone in an aluminum block is your friend!  Brass radiators, Steel heads, Lord knows what head gaskets and Aluminum blocks is a very tricky situation.  Not to mention that most vehicles ground the battery to the engine block. Electrolytic corrosion anyone?

• Like 2

This engine was used in 1960's Oldsmobile and Buick compact cars.  And in the Triumph TR8, and probably other vehicles. 

Basically anything Rover ever built with a V8 up to 2006. 

And if you get one from a newer Land Rover or Range Rover, they have a lot more cubic inches than the 60s Buick version. They built versions from a 3.5L all the way up to a 5.0L (305ci).  

• Like 2

I was going to do the rover(same thing) v8 but they aren't cheap, abundant, don't make much more power than a proper 4 banger, and parts are getting harder to find. They do sound sweet though. Early land rovers and mgb gt are other places to look.

• Like 1

Yep-KA power with V-8 size,fuel economy and aggravation

Horsepower maybe, but I'd bet quite a bit more torque. Horsepower ratings for these engines are notoriously low since they don't rev very high. 

The way dyno charts work is you have to be able to rev it well past 5252 to make any big HP numbers. 

• Like 1

I've been trying to avoid fuel injection, I want to keep it carburated and the least amount of electronics as possible.

Couldn't you just use an early carb intake on the later engine?

Also, TR8 engines (which are carb'd) may be easier to find than Buick engines, and I'd bet they are more common to come with a manual trans. 

Intake (one of several):

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2198/overview/make/buick

Dizzy:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67088/overview/make/buick

• Like 1

I would love to do a Turbo6 out of a Grand National/Regal T-type swap into my 720 if I could find one. Bone stock those engines were very powerful, and modified... WOW! I saw one at a dyno days in the old Camaro/Firebird club I used to be in put down 1200hp at the wheels! That was one mean mutha! Sounded like a beast.

I would love to do a Turbo6 out of a Grand National/Regal T-type swap into my 720 if I could find one. Bone stock those engines were very powerful, and modified... WOW! I saw one at a dyno days in the old Camaro/Firebird club I used to be in put down 1200hp at the wheels! That was one mean mutha! Sounded like a beast.

Grand nationals were one of the most powerful stock cars in there time, so i've heard haha i bet it was LOUD!

but has 210 lb.ft of torque (considerably more than the KA).

Those are crank numbers-right? And with the 15% drive train loss,that puts it around 180 to the ground.That's only 20 foot pound away from my 2.3 LZ motor(and UNDER 5500 RPM).And we won't discuss radiator location....