5 speed swap

css1634

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

My opinion, not that anyone cares, more work than it's worth, I changed to 3.89 rear  gears and I love it with my 4 speed. But I'm sure all the experts will say to change it out :thumbup:  Welcome to Ratsun

• Like 1

The '77 had a wide ratio 4 speed with a very low 3.592 first gear and no over drive.

The '79 280zx is a mid ratio with a 3.321 first and a 0.864 overdrive 5th.

This zx transmission is identical to the '77-'78 620 optional 5 speeds those years, so it will drive the same as a 5 speed 620 of those years. You will notice a very very slight increase in starting effort in first gear as it is taller. Once rolling the gears are slightly closer together with less RPM drop. Forth gear in both transmissions will be exactly the same and out on the highway the RPMs in 5th will be 13.6% lower. Remember 5th gear is not there to go faster, (likely it will go faster in 4th anyway) it's for reducing cruise speed RPMs. If carrying a load in the back, climbing a steep hill or passing, always down shift to a lower gear.

1/ To keep your speedometer the same, swap your current 4 speed speedometer pinion sleeve into the 4 speed. The pinion sleeve is always matched to the differential and these two must be kept together in the same vehicle.

2/ To keep your clutch and pressure plate working properly use your 4 speed clutch release bearing housing or sleeve on the 5 speed. Like the speedometer pinion the sleeve is matched to your pressure plate size and these two things must also stay together in the same vehicle 

Yes it will fit perfectly but post a picture of this 'mystery' 5 speed just to be sure.

• Like 1

Mike meant to say swap the 4 speed speedo gear/pinion sleeve into the 5 speed so your speedo reads the same as it does now.

The '77 had a wide ratio 4 speed with a very low 3.592 first gear and no over drive.

The '79 280zx is a mid ratio with a 3.321 first and a 0.864 overdrive 5th.

This zx transmission is identical to the '77-'78 620 optional 5 speeds those years, so it will drive the same as a 5 speed 620 of those years. You will notice a very very slight increase in starting effort in first gear as it is taller. Once rolling the gears are slightly closer together with less RPM drop. Forth gear in both transmissions will be exactly the same and out on the highway the RPMs in 5th will be 13.6% lower. Remember 5th gear is not there to go faster, (likely it will go faster in 4th anyway) it's for reducing cruise speed RPMs. If carrying a load in the back, climbing a steep hill or passing, always down shift to a lower gear.

To keep your speedometer the same, swap your current 4 speed speedometer pinion sleeve into the 4 speed. The pinion sleeve is always matched to the differential and these two must be kept together in the same vehicle.

• Like 1

Well the sleeve contains the plastic toothed gear and is easier to change as a unit than to remove the plastic gear... but I think we are on the same page here.

The '77 should have a RED 20 tooth gear.

The 280zx should have a 16, 17, 18 or 19 tooth gear depending on model.

• Like 1

Take out 4 speed.

Remove the release bearing and carrier that clips on the clutch lever.

Clip the release bearing from the 4 speed onto the 5 speed clutch arm.

Instal 5 speed.

(you really should replace with a new bearing)

• Like 2