The Soaring 521

a6m-zero

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the back of a 521 speedometer/gauge cluster.  There are nine lamp holders on the gauge cluster, four black, and five grey.

The black lamp holders are for gauge illumination.  They just twist out counter clockwise, and the lamps are in the lamp holders. 

The lamp holders cam be two different types.  One holds a bayonet base lamp, the other holds a wedge base lamp.  Pull your lamp holders so you know the base type of lamp you need.

You can reach up and get the lamp holders out without removing the gauge cluster.

HiResMeter.jpg

If any gauge lamps do not work, you may need to clean the lamp contacts on the gauge cluster printed circuit board.  Use very fine sandpaper, or a Scotchbrite pad.

The contact on the left side of one place for the lamp holder has been cleaned, the right side, not yet cleaned.

PartClean.jpg

If you need to remove the gauge cluster, this is how.

Remove two screws at the bottom of the black plastic cover.  The top of the cover is help with two spring clips, to disengage the clips, slide the plastic face straight up, do not pull it away from the dashboard.

That will reveal two more screws, in brackets, at the top, that hold the instrument cluster.  These screws have nuts, flat and lock washers on the backside of the dashboard.  it is a little difficult yo reach them, and they are easy to drop.  In most cases the dropped hardware stays caught inside the bottom lip of the dashboard.  Sometimes they on the floor of the cab.

With the screws out, there is a large black plastic plug that plugs on the multi pin connector on the gauge printed circuit board.  Carefully work the plug off the circuit board.

Pull the gauge cluster out slightly.  you mak need to feed some slack in the speedometer cable into the cab, from the engine compartment.

Unscrew the speedometer cable.

Now you can take the instrument in to the house, where it is warm to work on it.

• Like 1

I have swapped combo meters around in most of my 521 trucks, and I have no way of knowing if any of them are like they came from the factory.

On the other hand, I know there are two different lamps that look the same in a 521 combo meter.  One lamp is about twice the wattage as the other.  If my memory is correct, the four illumination lamps are the brighter lamps, and the lower wattage lamps are used for indicators.  Two turn signal, oil light, Ign light, and high beam light.

I could see an assembly line where one person puts higher watt lamps in grey lamp holders, and the lower watt lamps in the black lamp holders, and then the lampholders, with lamps, are put into a bin.

The next person in the assembly line then knows which lamps go in the two different locations, without having to read very fine print on the base of the lamp, or testing each one.

If you put the higher watt lamps in the two turn signal locations, it is easier to see the turn signal indicators in the daylight.

• Like 1

There are actually 5 different types of bulb holders that I have, in the photos below the 3 on the left are twist in bulbs, the housings on the 3 are all different in some way(color/shape), and the 2 on the right have the same shape, but one has a white dot on it, and the bulbs are the wedge type.

DSCN3879.JPG

DSCN3880.JPG

DSCN3881.JPG

• Like 1

Well today did a little cleaning up. I stripped the horrible diy tint job someone did and the back window sticker that just wasn't my style. My lockes kept sticking so I lubed them up and now they work great......but I did make a boo boo. I noticed my passenger door was a little off from alignment to the door catch so I tried to adjust it a little. Well I mistakingly put my hand on the door handle as I was pulling up and broke it....(face palm).

HELP ME! Let me know if someone has one in a box laying around!

• Like 1

PM me.

Well today did a little cleaning up. I stripped the horrible diy tint job someone did and the back window sticker that just wasn't my style. My lockes kept sticking so I lubed them up and now they work great......but I did make a boo boo. I noticed my passenger door was a little off from alignment to the door catch so I tried to adjust it a little. Well I mistakingly put my hand on the door handle as I was pulling up and broke it....(face palm).

HELP ME! Let me know if someone has one in a box laying around!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So got in touch with Wayno and he sent me a handle to save the day! So big thanks to him! I have been doing a lot of wire chasing and fixing a bit of odds and ends. Got a lot figured out with the help of the Ratsun forums. Got my tail lights figured out and my roll pan is here waiting to be mounted! I'll be posting tomorrow some OICS cause I know that's all that wanted haha. I do have a lot of questions but I'll post them with photos!

• Like 2

I'll start off with the fun stuff first. I ever since Got the truck home I have been frequenting local scrap yards and grabbing a few goodies.

image_zpsmqos8iqe.jpg

image_zpskgakca7z.jpg

image_zpsenrmkmjn.jpg

I didn't have a love box insert so I made one out of a Mazda B series one!

The carnage!

image_zps2xt2hftp-1.jpg

And in!

image_zpsavq41gvq.jpg

I didn't have tailgate chains so I made those too!

image_zpsazxcmqsm.jpg

Also got my tail lights on! This is just the running. It's has it has Amber for the turns (which are scanning) and white for the reverse too!

image_zpsqbzurdoe-1.jpg

Now this is where I need the help of the wire gurus. These are all wire where I don't know what they go to or the function. Please help me out!

image_zpsw48o1qxa.jpg

image_zpsnup3w99a.jpg

image_zpsnpeydova.jpg

image_zpsnq86cxwr.jpg

image_zps3aw4jyvf.jpg

image_zpsf2qym616.jpg

I need to know if this is the factory full sender?

image_zpsbmn8oedj.jpg

Is this a factory mirror?

image_zpsadjfs4sn.jpg

Okay look forward to hearing responses!

• Like 2

A mostly accurate 521 wiring diagram.

521wires.jpg

The white wire, with a red strip. I amnot sure.  When does it have power on it?  All the time, or only with key on?

what fuse powers it?

Above left headlight bucket,  Red wire, w/ blue stripe, female bullet connector, paired with black wire, male bullet connector, for left fender mounted side marker light.

Two wires you are holding above the coil, some 521 trucks had a solenoid on the carburetor, that was used for parts of the emission controls.  I think these two wires went to that solenoid.

The single wire in your left hand, by the coil, what colors are on the wire?

Red wire, by brake master cylinder.  Might have gone to a switch, operated by the hood, that would turn on a small light above the starter, when the lights were on.

The yellow wire, with a blue insulated spade connector, does not look stock, nor does the white plastic object in the same picture.  Is that a different carb?

The top of the gas tank looks stock.  The yellow wire goes on the terminal by the fuel pickup hose.  the black wire should go on a similar looking terminal close by.

Not a stock mirrior.

• Like 1

The white wire, with a red strip. I amnot sure. When does it have power on it? All the time, or only with key on?

what fuse powers it?

I'll have to trouble shoot this and get back

Above left headlight bucket, Red wire, w/ blue stripe, female bullet connector, paired with black wire, male bullet connector, for left fender mounted side marker light.

I have round side markers which are just reflectors correct? And these do not light up?

Two wires you are holding above the coil, some 521 trucks had a solenoid on the carburetor, that was used for parts of the emission controls. I think these two wires went to that solenoid.

So with the weber carb, these are not used then?

The single wire in your left hand, by the coil, what colors are on the wire?

This wire is coming off the coil, the lowest connection and it's a splice. You can barely see the splice in my hand.

Red wire, by brake master cylinder. Might have gone to a switch, operated by the hood, that would turn on a small light above the starter, when the lights were on.

I have that one hooked up so it has to be different, I'll look at the color.

The yellow wire, with a blue insulated spade connector, does not look stock, nor does the white plastic object in the same picture. Is that a different carb?

This wire is actually coming from the middle of that plastic peice on the carb.

The top of the gas tank looks stock. The yellow wire goes on the terminal by the fuel pickup hose. the black wire should go on a similar looking terminal close by.

I figured, maybe the black terminal was snapped off? I don't see it anywhere.

• Like 1

I'll be posting tomorrow some OICS cause I know that's all that wanted haha.

Thanks for sharing dude , ^^ keep it up ! and where are the pics of the lights ? 

the wiring loom is 70 , and the body is late 69 ,i thought that was an early production 70 . whats the month stamp on the vin plate . 

I was up this weekend , i thought you would of seen the thread in events but it was a great time . 

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64787-datslocos-wa-thread/

lots of pics pages 10 up 

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken you truck is actually a 1969 and it was first sold, titled  and registered in 1970.

The 1969 521 had  the round reflectors not the side marker lights.  Check the drivers door pillar for a date of manufacture.

Yes mine has round reflectors and I'll check the date tonight

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...