The Soaring 521

a6m-zero

So your going to weld the tailgate shut, you seen that it still has a tailgate, it's just less than a foot tall, as that truck has had a major body drop.

So far I have not seen one set of taillights that look decent with that look, not even Bobs looks right, and that truck is awesome.

I am not a purist by any stretch of the imagination, if you have seen any of my builds you will know this already, but I do copy anything that looks good, I did this to get rid of the latches.

Perhaps you can find something that is close to the 521 taillights, or just wait a while, I am sure a set will surface at some point.

No will not be welding the tailgate cause that seems pointless to me. I will just be doing a filler peice where the taillights were, the 4-5 inches all the way across on the bottom. The latch delete looks really clean too, great job!

• Like 1
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That latch I put in there is kinda a hassle, even though the door lines look like the tailgate lines, they have different curves, but it looks cool, another thing I copied from someone else from a photo.

That mod in the photo above also has modified rear box skirts, it gave that guy a little more metal to work with.

This is what Bob did, the first version below.

520206.jpg

This is what it looks like now.

431932_558697030901136_33889292517645137

Bobs rear skirts are not modified.

• Like 2

How did you do the receiver type trailer hitch?  Is there actually a kit available, or did you scratch build something?

My little brother works at a heavy steel fab shop so it will be an easy build and probably free.  I will draw up a simple plan and a list of materials used when I build it.  It will be designed so the spare tire will still be in it's stock location with the rod raising and lowering it.

Man I am sorry for hijacking your thread.

Datzenmike would it be possible to move all the back and forth Posts 33 to 42 of the hitch to my build thread?  Please.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/9197-charlie69s-66-520-build/page-19?do=findComment&comment=1190126

Thank you,

Charlie

Haha no worries boss, I love the sharing of ideas, it's all going to the same love! Your layout looks like awesome plan! I for sure wanna see when you complete it!

• Like 1

Got a few tasks knocked out today! I wanted to clean the fuse block cause it was looking not up to par. In the removal I saw this.

image_zpsf75ae7af.jpg

There is a crack in the block, after removing and cleaning this is it open.

image_zps5bb1affb.jpg

And this is closed..

image_zps01687faf.jpg

I'm guessing it okay? All of the contacts and such are in the same positions and bolt down fine.

Then I tackled the leaking valve cover. The reason it was leaking was 4 of the bolts holding it down were just sitting in the holes, not even finger tight. So changed the gasket, tightened the bolts all down and wala no oil leak!

Then took it for a spin with my roommate ! It was breaking oddly when I brought it home from Portland, so I wanted to do a few hard stops to see if we could diagnose it. Well each time we did the breaking became BETTER! Soooooo after 5-6 hard stops they work like champs! Stop on a dime! So thankful!

I also did the LED cluster mod! All red! I love it!

image_zpsf9ed321f.jpg

• Like 2