best distributor and coil for 4 plug blow through turbo z24..

stuck on my ignition setup. should i buy a electronic distributor? or just stick with the points? or get optical/magnetic pickup.

Is it necessary that i setup timing retard. If this is the case could somebody please clarify to me a bit on how this is possible and why?.
This car will be only a daily driver under 8psi boost.
Weber 32/36 - intercooled - oil cooler - engine rebuild - oversized pistons - cold air intake - alcohol/water injection on hot summer days
pedal will never really hit the floor, rather get rid of the lack of power.

been extremely busy last 4 months and exhausted but Christmas is here and time to get cracking.

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're running points, yes get an electronic magnetic pickup distributor of some sort.  Any Datsun unit will work.  As far as retard control, you'll probably need an aftermarket box to patch in to control that.

stuck on my ignition setup. should i buy a electronic distributor? or just stick with the points? or get optical/magnetic pickup.

Why is your head only a 4 plug? Did you guys not get an 8 plug head ever out there? Dual plug would reduce burn time and the need for a lot of advance. If dual plug heads are available get one. An electronic ignition would eliminate all problems associated with having points... (timing changing with wear, wear and replacement, adjustment) while having higher output.

Is it necessary that i setup timing retard. If this is the case could somebody please clarify to me a bit on how this is possible and why?.

This car will be only a daily driver under 8psi boost.

Depends.

In a perfect world the ignition fires the mixture far enough in advance so the flame travels across the combustion chamber and combustion pressure rises steadily through TDC and reaches a maximum somewhere around 17 degrees after TDC where crank and rod angles are optimum to capture and make use of it. Any later, and it's wasted chasing the rapidly accelerating piston as it descends down the bore. Too early and the pressure can max too close to TDC and cause the remaining fuel and air to spontaneously explode. This causes an extreme pressure spike that will cause damage very fast. (just keep in mind this is how it's supposed to work)

A higher compression mixture takes a shorter time to burn because the molecules are close packed together. In addition, the compression raises the temperature closer to self ignition, just like a diesel engine.

An 8 PSI boost, is cramming about 50% more air into the cylinder so the heat is higher, the molecules tighter packed and the burn time shorter. All these factors make starting the burn too soon even by a little, very dangerous for the engine. What works at normal non boost won't work under boost so the timing should be retarded more. You could run retarded ignition at all times, but mileage and performance off boost would be poor. .

Weber 32/36 - intercooled - oil cooler - engine rebuild - oversized pistons - cold air intake - alcohol/water injection on hot summer days

All the above help to remove heat which is the enemy of all boosted engines. High octane gas will also reduce pre ignition.

Why is your head only a 4 plug? Did you guys not get an 8 plug head ever out there? Dual plug would reduce burn time and the need for a lot of advance. If dual plug heads are available get one. An electronic ignition would eliminate all problems associated with having points... (timing changing with wear, wear and replacement, adjustment) while having higher output.

Well . i know there are 8 plug heads floating around but to get my hands on one would be too costly. i may one day look into drilling my 4 plug to allow for 8 plugs and just get a distributor.

A 8 plug recon'd head would cost about $380 plus +$100 shipping because they are all over east, and im in the west of australia. brand new would be $600+

The head i have now is near new so ...

If you're running points, yes get an electronic magnetic pickup distributor of some sort.  Any Datsun unit will work.  As far as retard control, you'll probably need an aftermarket box to patch in to control that.

Ok so i am looking  this distributor atm http://www.turbogemini.com/Nissan%20electronic%20distributors.htmi don't know yet if this is magnetic pickup, still waiting for a response.

As for retard control i have this already but still looking into as what else i will need to make it work efficiently.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/RPM/Timing_Controls/Timing_Controls/8762_-_Boost_Timing_Master_for_use_with_MSD_Ignition_Control.aspx

Depends.

In a perfect world the ignition fires the mixture far enough in advance so the flame travels across the combustion chamber and combustion pressure rises steadily through TDC and reaches a maximum somewhere around 17 degrees after TDC where crank and rod angles are optimum to capture and make use of it. Any later, and it's wasted chasing the rapidly accelerating piston as it descends down the bore. Too early and the pressure can max too close to TDC and cause the remaining fuel and air to spontaneously explode. This causes an extreme pressure spike that will cause damage very fast. (just keep in mind this is how it's supposed to work)

A higher compression mixture takes a shorter time to burn because the molecules are close packed together. In addition, the compression raises the temperature closer to self ignition, just like a diesel engine.

An 8 PSI boost, is cramming about 50% more air into the cylinder so the heat is higher, the molecules tighter packed and the burn time shorter. All these factors make starting the burn too soon even by a little, very dangerous for the engine. What works at normal non boost won't work under boost so the timing should be retarded more. You could run retarded ignition at all times, but mileage and performance off boost would be poor. .

Thanks for this beautiful illustration mike, i would love to have an 8 plug but would have lost too much to just buy one straight out.

Im hoping all of the other preparation i am doing will be enough to fix the issues.