losing power while driving home..1984 720 4x4..ho,ho,ho.

blackbomber

Merry xmas ratsun guys..I hope everybody gets what they want for their Datsun....Need help from the Datsun masters again..the bomber must live for another year..  So I am running errands after work. I noticed the dash lights are dimmer, and my headlights too. then I see the volt guage and oil pressure guage are down, not registering...so then I see heater fan isn't running,  blinkers and flashers not working...try the wipers:  moving very slow across the window....then my radio station starts to go...So I grab my pizza at blackjack, fast, and haul ass home...truck is still running ok...pull in the drive way, and leave it idling....  go in get my volt meter,  and touch the leads to the battery....looks like 7 or 8 volts in the battery.........truck still idling, now all dash lights inside are gone...then right when I go to turn it off, I think it died......ho, ho ,ho.  great....weird thing is battery light never went on, at all...Right now I am guessing alternator.what is the  plan  guys.........oh yea..couldn't find my old post in electrical.    so ,started this one.. sorry..

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick-rat

Charge the battery up, clean terminals, check voltage before starting. After starting check voltage at battery again. Should be some where in the 13to 14 Volt range, if not probably the alternator. Take it off and have it tested

That's what I would do, but I don't know much, maybe an expert will chime in

• Like 1

yhanks rick...I charged up battery this morning back to full charge.. got truck started. everything ok, all gauges everything.running between 2000 and 1500 rpm..battery holding volts ok,,, not losing volts.... then I dropped it to idle, and started progressively losing power,  losing volts in battery too...truck finally dies......got battery charging again...

yhanks rick...I charged up battery this morning back to full charge.. got truck started. everything ok, all gauges everything.running between 2000 and 1500 rpm..battery holding volts ok,,, not losing volts.... then I dropped it to idle, and started progressively losing power,  losing volts in battery too...truck finally dies......got battery charging again...

Ah... just saw this. If charging when revved up but not at idle then possibly one of the diodes is bad and output is only 2/3 now. Possibly the brushes are almost worn out.... you used to be able to get them for under $10 and 1/2 hour to swap them.

As Rich said loose belt and dirty posts/cables. 

Check the two wire plastic plug is firmly in the back of the alternator and the wires on the alternator terminals tight.

ah ha. there is king rat. what's up mike.. so,  the deal is now,   when the ignition is in the on position, no more battery light... so sometimes it is running around like 14 volts, and I can take the positive terminal off the battery, and it still runs. but then I can turn it off, start it back up, and it's back to twelve volts, and I take the terminal off and it dies....   so I cleaned up the connections    off the battery, and now I need to get to the back of the alternator...   don,t know if I will get to it today.. thanks guys,, merry x mas..bomb

Hey mike .  I was able to  get behind the alternator, and wiggle the wires while it was running ...no change in voltage.. weird thing is when I went to start it today, the battery light was back in the on position. then it went away after I started it... so I cleaned up the connections, but I couldn't get that plug out with the two wires, wanted to clean it too.. anyway, everything was tight. so I let it run for a while, like 25 minutes...it is holding around 12 volts on the guage in the truck. and off my meter on the battery... so, I don't think its just running off the battery ,but I could be wrong..i think it will get me to work tomorrow...only three miles away...I found my paper work on the alternator..Napa unit..I put it in in   12/2002.... hope they still make them...lifetime warranty...whatever that means..  call napa tomorrow..still would like to get that plug out of the back of the alternator..is it clipped in or what???   thanks  man.. It's snowing right now ... hope I don't have to drive the Yamaha tomorrow....got a 1978 xs 400..best 400$$ I ever spent....

hey mike,,, I called napa. they got a alternater coming from Montana.... be here Tuesday....I live in evans Colorado..truck is still starting and running on its own....    it's a x mas miracle!!!    got a bizarre coolant problem need to figure out. should I start a new post????    it's snowing and I can't deal with  the truck right now.. maybe I need a new one....a big fat titan...

Yeah start a new one and add to this when you have more.

If at all possible keep the old one. They are better quality that after market or rebuilt ones. It may just need new brushes. Did you get the plug out. Has to come out to replace it and maybe the terminals inside are corroded?

hey mike    got the new alternator.. plug doesn't look lke your picture, I could be wrong but the connections are L shaped on the back of the alternator, and it looks like there is a retainer clip  on top of the plug... probrably why I cant get it out...not saying your wrong  because I haven't taken it out yet ,,not till this weekend ,,if the weather holds...and I can make room in the garage...... thanks bud.....

Hey mike, still cant get the plug out of the back of the alternator.  it doesn't just "pull out".... theres some sort of clip holding it in....can you explain how to release the frickin frackin clip......I can only get my left hand on it right now...need to get this swapped out Saturday, so I can move on to all the other stuff going out..like thermo,   water pump,    power steering pump,,,,..getting fed up....

Just chiming in here,

The cause of all electrical failures is HIGH RESISTANCE.

I don't care what, it can be blamed on high resistance.

There are 2 circumstances that this is false,

Broken connection

Electrical short (which melt fusible links and cause high resistance/broken connection, or just a fire)

Keep that in mind with your electrical gremlins :)

Hey mike, still cant get the plug out of the back of the alternator.  it doesn't just "pull out".... theres some sort of clip holding it in....can you explain how to release the frickin frackin clip......I can only get my left hand on it right now...need to get this swapped out Saturday, so I can move on to all the other stuff going out..like thermo,   water pump,    power steering pump,,,,..getting fed up....

I think I suggested a picture. The clip on plugs began with the 86.5 D-21 Hardbody so that isn't the stock alternator.