The Cpl's Artwork

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your scenes have depth, defined focus, very intentional color scape, and contrast of detail and shade. I'm seeing your path to a style, as there is little cohesion between pieces. But dont get caught up looking for a style. My advise, focus on the process. Paint in the manner which is most exciting to you. That excitement is evident to the viewer in an artists work. Your "style" will find you months or years after it's developed, and you won't even know it till you hear it from a critic.

I went to school for fine art. Got a degree and all that. Degree is worthless, but four years of access to a sculpture department was worth a whole lot, and I learned a shit ton about how to not be an artist. There is a right way, and for me it was about not making money at it. At least, not trying to make money. I figured I'd do what I love, and if it ever pays the bills, awesome. But sculpture is a different beast.

Anyway, just checking in, letting you know there are fellow artists on here, loving the work! Im wanting to see more plants, that tree is sick.

Thanks ta8er, its hard to come by experienced words. Ive toured schools for years trying to find one that kind of fits, from Cali to New York. They all tell me that they want a cohesive body of work. for me, almost every time i start a new painting, my technique or process is evolving. Granted, i haven't actually produced as much work as other artist, but it's not something im really aware of until half way through a picture. i have a vision of how i want a piece to turn out but i guess its a lack of experience, as i leave things out unintentionally (details, color accents, or making the face look real rather than illustrated) i get caught up in the feeling of the piece rather than keeping it within some kind of guidelines.

ive always debated going to art school for that exact reason. But i decided to keep my major related to art, that has a higher demand in today's market. (concept work, illustration, 3D modeling) The window of fine artist who can actually support them selves off of their passion is far too slim, and im not kidding my self in just banking all my money on that avenue. Ill keep making paintings for my self, and if they become something that more and more people enjoy, Awesome.

The trees i do are so simple, they have a guideline for each picture. i have the tree, and similar elements i add to each one, the only thing that is really unrestricted in them is the background. they do appeal to a lot of people however, something simple like that or maybe some stencil type work might be enough to keep a steady flow of sales. or maybe incorporate similar aspects into more recent paintings. who knows, im just at the point where im trying to get as much as i can on a canvas.

Earlier in my career, I was still hopeful to turn pro with my design work. My wife showed me a cool website where anyone can bid freelance work and customers describe a project and look at bids.

When she gets home, I'll see if she remembers the domain. These days my artwork is restricted to functional steel folk art.

I miss painting to be painterly. Once again you've made me jealous. Good job.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost never see the image in my mind, so i almost never have a plan when im sketching them out. i take a reference photo i like, and it evolves from what i interpret from the persons expression or what i see in the image. then i sketch it out and it evolves again form sketch to painting.