510 Turn Signals dissappeared

iwayman

So I was fiddling with my dash and steering column, installing speedhut speedometer and tachometer, and somehow I've managed to make my turn signals stop working.

I've pulled the dash apart again and cleaned the connections I could find but I haven't been able to solve the issue. 

My hazard lights function properly.

Any ideas for what I could have screwed up?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the flasher.. is it plugged in? Swap with the known good 4 way flasher.

There seem to be two different flashers under the dash.  The one on the right side of the column definitely feeds the hazards as unplugging it makes the flashers not work, however, the one on the left side is a mystery to me. Looks like there is an adapter that adapts the right angle blades to a parallel blade flasher and it was not plugged in.  Neither plugging that in nor trying a regular right angle flasher helped.

The flasher unit is plugged in, but swap it with the 4 way unit, just to check it first

If your oil and charge lamps work when the key is turned on then the fuse for the flasher is ok.

The plugs to the turn signal were checked and assumed to be ok

Only thing left is the 4 way switch. In the ON position it disconnects the turn signals and presumable reconnects then when returned to the OFF position. Try wiggling the switch or check the plug.

The flasher unit is plugged in, but swap it with the 4 way unit, just to check it first

If your oil and charge lamps work when the key is turned on then the fuse for the flasher is ok.

The plugs to the turn signal were checked and assumed to be ok

Only thing left is the 4 way switch. In the ON position it disconnects the turn signals and presumable reconnects then when returned to the OFF position. Try wiggling the switch or check the plug.

Purchased a couple new flashers that I'll throw on. I tried another switch that I had on another 510. Again the high beam switch worked but not the turn signals.

Also picked up a cheap little fuse puller so I'll check those once I get the new flashers on

New fuse never hurts. I have an old wiring diagram and it may be different.

Turn the signal on and wiggle the 4 way switch

I don't know what it is with you but you're a Datsun magician! 

I replaced both flashers, pulled and checked every fuse, and wiggled the switch and they're working again.  Not sure which one fixed it but guess it doesn't matter at this point.

And btw, you were right about the steering angle, swapped in a box with about half the miles on it and this box itself gets about 2/3 more turning from straight to lock.

I can't see the flasher unit going bad at the same time you remove the dash. Has to be something loose. 

The 720 truck 4 way flasher switch is problematic. I spent an hour with a test light trying to find out why the signals stopped working on a friend's truck. Turns out that when returning the flasher to the off position the switch can travel back too far and go past the two contacts used to re connect the turns. The fix is to move the switch just slightly towards the on position until the flashers start working.

I can't see the flasher unit going bad at the same time you remove the dash. Has to be something loose. 

The 720 truck 4 way flasher switch is problematic. I spent an hour with a test light trying to find out why the signals stopped working on a friend's truck. Turns out that when returning the flasher to the off position the switch can travel back too far and go past the two contacts used to re connect the turns. The fix is to move the switch just slightly towards the on position until the flashers start working.

When I was under my dash for the gauges I smacked my head on the signal knob so I wonder if that could have shifted the contacts out of wack originally.