My First 620

gtav

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Front disc brakes?

Yes. I really wanted to find a truck that already had the disc brakes so I wouldn't have to upgrade.

Welcome to your first post. Glad you finally did it.  Good platform to start with

Thank you its good to finally have something to post about.

looks to be in good shape, nice truck

Thank you.

Wow awesome truck! May I ask how much you paid for yours?

$3k, probably to much. When i saw it I turned into a little kid that had to have his toy. Although the body is in descent shape and it starts and runs fine.

• Like 1

So the saga begins:

After purchasing the truck, my friend who was following behind noticed the turn signals acting like hazard light. Both left and right would cycle together. Found a wire going from one side to the other juming the turn signal together. I think this was done to get the brake lights to work on both sides. I repaired the wiring and replaced all the bulbs to the correct style.

Next was title and registration. My plan is to register it as a collectible and bypass emissions. The truck is not going to be a DD. Went to MVD and found out that the PO had tried to pass emissions and it failed. So that means I have to get it to pass before I can get tags. Looked up the past emissions tests. Then looked how to pass emissions. Only need to pass a idle test. So I use denatured alcohol to lower the readings. Go to the testing station and pass the emissions test but fail the equipment inspection. No smog pump, no air rail no mounting hardware. Damn! Tried to go thru the state inspector and get a waiver, not happening. Find an old pump from a early 80's 200sx. Air ports going the wrong direction. Fab up a make shift braket (sorry no pics, it was a mess anyway), run some hose under the air cleaner. Make it look good. Go back to retest, I show them my air pump and new egr valve. The truck passes equipment and emissions. Finally legal to drive around town.

• Like 2

So the saga begins:

After purchasing the truck, my friend who was following behind noticed the turn signals acting like hazard light. Both left and right would cycle together. Found a wire going from one side to the other juming the turn signal together. I think this was done to get the brake lights to work on both sides. I repaired the wiring and replaced all the bulbs to the correct style.

Next was title and registration. My plan is to register it as a collectible and bypass emissions. The truck is not going to be a DD. Went to MVD and found out that the PO had tried to pass emissions and it failed. So that means I have to get it to pass before I can get tags. Looked up the past emissions tests. Then looked how to pass emissions. Only need to pass a idle test. So I use denatured alcohol to lower the readings. Go to the testing station and pass the emissions test but fail the equipment inspection. No smog pump, no air rail no mounting hardware. Damn! Tried to go thru the state inspector and get a waiver, not happening. Find an old pump from a early 80's 200sx. Air ports going the wrong direction. Fab up a make shift braket (sorry no pics, it was a mess anyway), run some hose under the air cleaner. Make it look good. Go back to retest, I show them my air pump and new egr valve. The truck passes equipment and emissions. Finally legal to drive around town.

congrats. i know all about that smog bs. i had to almost do the same thing

• Like 1

Yes. I really wanted to find a truck that already had the disc brakes so I wouldn't have to upgrade.

Thank you its good to finally have something to post about.

The reason I asked is the Deluxe fender emblems were (I believe) only used part way through the '76 and all of '77 model year.  Also the rubber bumperettes are on wrong. All these things interchange so perhaps they were swapped on.  Carry on.

So the saga begins:

Now that's Ratsun, right there...

It's also why I hate posts on 'smog crap' removal. The emissions equipment is so rudimentary on these old Datsuns that they have zero effect on performance and running. Fact is they probably run better with them on. It's easy enough to just disable them. Removal does nothing good and in some states when the next owner gets it he has to replace them to pass a visual and if they can't, the truck gets scrapped. Scrapped just for that, is a crime.

• Like 1

Now that's Ratsun, right there...

It's also why I hate posts on 'smog crap' removal. The emissions equipment is so rudimentary on these old Datsuns that they have zero effect on performance and running. Fact is they probably run better with them on. It's easy enough to just disable them. Removal does nothing good and in some states when the next owner gets it he has to replace them to pass a visual and if they can't, the truck gets scrapped. Scrapped just for that, is a crime.

Trying to find the smog equipment was a big problem. I tried just about all the pick a part, you pull it, junk yards in Tucson. Only found the one with one smog pump. All the other yards didn't have older Datsun cars to pick apart. 

• Like 1

On to the next item. Tires.

This is what came on the truck...

IMG_20141030_084207438_zpsc47b4085.jpg

Yep, Property of U-Haul.

IMG_20141030_084218628_zps0c9ace9d.jpg

6 Ply tread, 4 ply sidewall. Driving her around, well, it was like driving a trailer. Anyone that has drove around Tucson knows these roads suck. I could change lanes without even trying. One of these tires went flat and it only lost half of its height. I went to the used tire store to find some temporary tires. And I ended up with these...

78620Datsun_zps3dc503cc.jpg

• Like 1

"You did good to find those titan rims, did you have to bore the hub out?"

Thanks. There wheels are on spacers right now. I ordered ball joints and the steering linkages. When she is up on jack stands I'm going to have them bored out.

"620s came with 6.00 x 14 6 ply rated tires."

The tread ply was fine it was the sidewalls that were to stiff.

• Like 1