anyone know anything about the 1975 dealer prep 620 4x4s

Tristanray

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to ratsun, uh..... ?  Perhaps you could add your name and a rough location to your profile later. An introduction post with pictures of your 620 is also nice.

The 4x4 conversions were done at several locations on either coast. The dealer arranged and sent new 620s there to be converted but I don't believe they had any other involvement. Two Dana axles were added plus a jeep? trans case and leaf springs. The driver's door jam will have a tag for this.

Our search engine (top right of every page) is an invaluable source and tool for looking up info on the 620 4x4, and more. I just typed in 620 4x4 and got a page of replies. One of our mods here, ]2eDeYe, has one.  Here's just one of them... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49762-1973-datsun-620-4x4/

Welcome. 

As Mike said, there were a few different companies doing these conversions. Pictures would help a lot. If you could get some of the front axle, the transfer case, transfer case adapter and door plate we can see about identifying the components used for the conversion.

Some overall pictures would be nice as well so we can all have some more Datsun to look at :) 

As stated above, the conversions were generally done by one of several 4X4 conversion outfits across the country, and conversion methods and quality vary quite a bit.  There were some common parts- almost all converters used a Jeep Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 20 transfer case, though how they were attached varies.  Driveshafts are typically Spicer units, but could be anything.  If the original front brake hardware is still used, then a conversion hub made by LOW Manufacturing was used to to convert the Jeep front axles- usually by modifying the backing plate plus that conversion hub to go to the Datsun 6-lug brake drums (or discs on later trucks).  The drums themselves had the center hole opened up to clear the locking hubs (usually a WARN hub).

Most of the conversions used a Jeep 4.10:1 front ratio but didn't change the rear axle (other than modifying the springs to go over the axle) so the ratio would be 4.38, making it bind up on pavement (both of mine have that issue, works fine offroad and in snow though). 

Note that the LOW mfg adapter hubs are NLA and you need to take care not to damage them- mine had a bearing blow up, and I ended up having to have a machine shop bore and sleeve it because I could never find a replacement.  Of course, you could always put Jeep brake parts back up front and run the Jeep 5-lug wheels, that's a typical sign of a backyard conversion (different lug patterns on both ends).  I've seen Datsuns converted with Toyota axles too, but those were done long after the truck was new.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well I know the one I have is jeep running gear and was from a guy here on ratsun I just never seen a real 4x4 620 all the ones I have seen where put on jeep frames with v6 swaps just trying to figer out what mine really is....right now I'm trying to figer out how to add photos so I can show u all