Track Days..............Let's GO!!!

Busta Nut

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Signed up intermediate... Still thinking about it.

I spoke to one of the instructors before we went last time and they recommended that even with auotcross experience that driving school should be done first. I doubt its a big deal either way though.

I wouldn't worry about it too much....

.....this'll be their second event.....

I emailed them because low intermediate was full....so they said intermediate was fine......

....I don't think I qualify but whatever.....it was pretty chill last time.....

.......everyone will be passing me..... :rofl:

I sent em a message.

If they plan to have qualified instructors I might actually bump down to beginner as they can be quite helpful.

Now I'm trying to decide on a brake setup.... 200sx stuff or DP Racing's wildwood kit, that will clear most 13s... Leaning toward DP Racing

Oh yea order tow straps and some "tow arrow" stickers too

• Like 2

i was doing 60 on the turns, but it looks like we're doing a different section this time.

we did the 3 mile course with bypass last time

Thunderhill-East-Long-Cutout-14.9bc9a004

and i believe this time we're doing the 2 mile west course

Thunderhill-West-14.9bc9a004cc457692f565

so the 4.11 might be good for this one. but i've never done the west course so i can't say for sure.

• Like 4

Hey guys, I have a few questions about set up and components you guys are running on your cars. I'm asking everyone on the forum that tracks their Datsuns. Not just the people that are planning on this track event. I'm asking so I can pick your brains a bit. It's not intended for bragging purposes...unless you feel you have to :rofl:.

What tires are you running?

What suspension set up do you have? Springs, coilovers?, lowered by how much (approximate), sway bars, camber plates?, alignment, camber and caster angles, shocks, struts (510, 280zx, others), ect..

What drive train and rear end?

Brake set up (pads, brake M/C, discs all around?, drums in rear?)

• Like 1

Hey guys, I have a few questions about set up and components you guys are running on your cars. I'm asking everyone on the forum that tracks their Datsuns. Not just the people that are planning on this track event.

What tires are you running?

What suspension set up do you have? Springs, coilovers?, lowered by how much (approximate), sway bars, camber plates?, alignment, camber and caster angles, shocks, struts (510, 280zx, others), ect..

What drive train and rear end?

Brake set up (pads, brake M/C, discs all around?, drums in rear?)

Last time I ran 195/50r15 falKens

Suspension: 280zx struts with GC coil overs and 250# springs. T3 Camber plates. Lowered 3 inches from stock I think.

Stock sway bar. Alignment was custom with 1.5 deg of negative camber and can't remember caster. Tokico Blues front struts and T3 1.25 in. Bump steer spacers. Stock rear shocks.

Close ratio dogleg tranny and stock diff.

Brakes are stock zx pads and rotors. Stock 510 brake master. Stock Rear drums

This time I will have Hankook ultra high performance all season 175/55r15 ( narrower for the lows) and tokico Blues in the rear. And might mess with the alignment a bit.

• Like 1

Skyblue, the narrower tires you commented was for the lows. You mean low speeds? Will a 510 turn better on the slow turns on narrower tires?

Excuse the dumb question but like I said earlier, I'm no expert. I am trying to learn more about setting up a car correctly for what I'm trying to achieve which is a good, decent track car.

Skyblue, the narrower tires you commented was for the lows. You mean low speeds? Will a 510 turn better on the slow turns on narrower tires?

Excuse the dumb question but like I said earlier, I'm no expert. I am trying to learn more about setting up a car correctly for what I'm trying to achieve which is a good, decent track car.

Don't think the narrower tires will make it turn or handle any better.....this was just cuz he couldn't turn his wheel to lock without rubbing the fender.....

Non of us are experts.........in fact.....

.........I think most qualify as beginners to the track.......including myself.......

..............we are doing this to learn how to set up our cars........test it's limits and strengthen the weak points.....

My front suspension is all polyed.....Koni 5way adjustables inside shortened 280zx stuts.....350lb springs...camber plates......the adjustable T/C rods aren't in yet.....

.....I tried 175lb and 250lb......I'm happy with the 350lb for street/track.....shocks set to performance.....

2* caster and 1.7* camber......I think....it's been a while since it's been aligned....

I have jack shit in the rear which is part of the reason I had a hard time last track day.....I hope to get some rear coilovers in by the next one....

Tires are 185/55R14 Falkens......lookin into some steelies and track tires for the future.....same size or maybe custom 13s.....

280zx front brakes...240z master...stock rear....

Height.....SLAMMED....

• Like 2

Yea what busta nut said. By lows I mean low ride height. The 195's would rub a lot. Will probably hurt handling, but I can do a u turn on pretty much any street now. Lol.

• Like 3

Those who ran thunder hill last time- any of you remember what speeds you guys hit? need to start thinking about which diff to run… thinking the 4.44 is going to be too short and will probably swap in the 4.11 but figured i would check

I'd go 4.11 minimum!  What speed do the 4.44's with your tires gear out at?  On the east course I hit maybe 115-120, The straight on the west course looks way shorter.

• Like 1

How much of a difference do you guys think a rear sway bar makes on the handling?

I sounds like a few of us have that feeling that the rear wants to come around on us. Will a rear sway bar correct this?

Ever since I put the rear coilovers on my car the rear feels a bit more stable, but there is always room for improvement.

• Like 3

Skyblue, Busta Nut: Thanks for the clarification on the tires. That makes more sense as to why you are running narrower tires :rofl:.

Hey, some of you guys were at the DatsunLoco fun run we had Sunday the 22nd, right? Looking at the pictures that were posted from a previous track event, I noticed some of those cars were there sunday.

• Like 2

How much of a difference do you guys think a rear sway bar makes on the handling?

I sounds like a few of us have that feeling that the rear wants to come around on us. Will a rear sway bar correct this?

Every since I put the rear coilovers on my car, the rear feels a bit more stable, but there is always room for improvement.

I think a rear bar would increase that feeling.  If the rear feels loose you want to stiffen the front and check alignment to balance it.  Do you have some form of rear toe adjustment?  Lowering a 510 will toe the rear out which can cause a lot of instability.  Getting it toed back in helps quite a bit.

• Like 3

I see. So a rear sway bar is pretty much useless you get some toe in to help stabilize the rear? Is all the rear sway bar doing is keeping the inside rear corner of the car more level (minimizing body role)?

I had my rear crossmember slotted for camber and toe so I do have some adjustment. I had a 4 wheel alignment done by an old school wheel alignment shop but he put it to factory specs.

• Like 1

Rear sway keeps the inside rear more level with the outside to an extent, but its actually pulling weight off that inside wheel. Due to the funky rear suspension design where we get camber and toe change as the rear suspension goes thru its travel, you want to minimize body roll. I prefer to use springs to do this, no rear sway.

I have a lot of rear toe in. Makes my car really stable, and atm a little pushy. Trying to work around that with stiffer rear springs and more front camber.

Wish I could make it out to this event, been wanting to drive Thill West for a while. Got a bunch of stuff to do to the car, but its my daily and I don't have time or motivation to work on it lol.

Hoping to run Buttonwillow in May tho. Would be cool if you guys could make it out to that one :D

• Like 5