Turbo 280Z... Sleeper?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you're done, novices like myself will be utterly confused as to what S30 this is.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Deciding now what to do with the other tip offs to it's origin...  B)

Don't want to do 240Z c-pillar badges (too much faking the funk), but may do the 240Z fender badges (they just say DATSUN)? Then also debating whether to use the 280Z front turn signals, or ditch them and run round lights down in the bumper as was previously suggested. 

So basically, the only tip off will be no vents in the hatch, and the DATSUN roundels over the C-pillar vent holes...

Decided to chuck one of the Westerns on to have a look...

20150121_090657.jpg

With a 215/60-14 on it, it's fairly flush...

20150121_090710.jpg

Got the tires taken off and scrubbed up the wheels...

20150121_160834.jpg

A lot of the black paint came off while powerwashing them. Apparently they used to be gold? Took a fine scotch-brite to one of the lips and it cleaned up really nice...

20150121_163657.jpg

Got all the spot welds from the bumper filler ground down, and beat on the lower valence a bit. It's better, but has a long way to go...

20150121_112804.jpg

Need to get the wheels all rubbed down so I can paint the centers and polish the lips. I think they'll look pretty sharp on the car. Thinking the 205/60-14 is the way to go now...   :thumbup:

• Like 1

Lower valence getting closer...

20150122_144934.jpg

Metal Supermarket didn't have the right gauge of sheet metal to patch the bumper shock holes, so since the old bumper filler is the right thickness...   ^_^

20150122_160643.jpg

Need to trim a little more, but I think these will work fine...

20150122_161116.jpg

Hope to have them trimmed and welded in tomorrow, then I can finish straightening the valence...

Got the shock holes welded up today. Still working on straightening the valence...

20150126_134341.jpg

The MSA bumper is very beefy, and seems to be pretty well made...

20150126_121831.jpg

Gave it a test fit, and it seems to fit pretty good. But it's going to be a two man job to mark the mounting holes, so no pics of it on the car...   :hmm:

Went out and took a look at the valence on the 240Z parts car, and it's in perfect condition. So I may cut it out and see if I can just replace my valence instead of spending countless hours straightening mine... 

• Like 1

So my boss was planning to put 240Z bumpers on his 280Z. Then after taking his bumper to the chromers, he changed his mind and said he's running no rear bumper (his lower valance is PERFECT), so he was waffling on what to do with his front end...

He's been eyeballing my MSA front bumper, so I proposed a trade. Since his car is way more aggressive than mine (which I wanted to be more of a "sleeper"), we decided to swap things around...

So my car will be running 240Z bumpers front and rear...   :thumbup:

The front bumper came back from the chrome shop today. They filled all of the holes and straightened it. If you saw it before, you'd never believe it's the same bumper. It was wasted...

20150128_134845.jpg

Chrome looks really good too...

20150128_134905.jpg

So, that deal done I went to the 240Z parts car to see what I could scavenge...

Got the side panels and lights, but the center part of the front valance is MIA. Thankfully the lights are in nice shape...

20150128_153205.jpg

Stripped down and all the tabs straightened...

20150128_155058.jpg

Some of the captured nuts that bolt the panels up were stripped so I just removed all of them...   :rofl:

20150128_155500.jpg

Had some paint in the color we are planning to use so before installing the panels I sanded down the edges and gave them a little paint so there'd be no risk of some red poking out after painting the car...

20150128_164311.jpg

Need to find a center piece, and probably a BRE spook, and we'll be very close to painting the car. Part of the reasoning behind this change is my boss saying "you know, if you put a bumper on the back it would help with making that valance look better", so here's hoping it "hides" a lot of ills...    ^_^

• Like 1

And that also gets me one huge step closer to basically turning this into a 240Z...   :rofl:

Still waffling on what to do with the badges. As I said, I'd never put a "240Z" badge on it, but a lot of the other badges on a 240Z (fender, etc) are specific to a 240Z, so I may use some of those...    B)

• Like 1

You making a Ratsun sculpture too?  That is the ugliest part of any S30 ever.

Nah, maroon car posted earlier in the thread. Has perfect front and rear bumper, perfect rear bumper ends, front bumper ends MIA. That car is going to stay all original. 

Part of me wants to do it just so I can point to it, and then point to my turbo car to show how much it's changed...   :rofl:

And I need to hear more about this sculpture...    ^_^

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/65080-nismo-fiesta-2015-coming-in-may-austin-tx/page-2

I've drunkely talked about it a bit there.  Ratsun trophy for Nismo Fiesta.  I started some preliminary work on it.  Trying to use all Datsun parts, therefore it'll mostly be made out of shit I got out the back of your old 620.