Rebuild Nissan Engine Z20s

morfeas

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistons are not normally replaced. Only if they are damaged. The Nissan factory service manual explains how to inspect them.

Rods do not need replacing unless bent.

After replacing the crankshaft be sure to use $5 worth of Plastigage to ensure all is correct.

24982.jpg

Pistons are not normally replaced. Only if they are damaged. The Nissan factory service manual explains how to inspect them.

Rods do not need replacing unless bent.

After replacing the crankshaft be sure to use $5 worth of Plastigage to ensure all is correct.

24982.jpg

Thanks a lot, yours advices were helpful.

Thanks.

The piston and connecting rod look worn out?

What do you suggest?

I must  replace the piston & connecting rod?

Or no, how I can check them?

It's hard to tell from the pic and without measuring the rod, but I have seen factory rods with that finish in the bore and they can be just fine. You need to be an experienced engine builder to know if how to measure them. You also need a dial bore gauge.

You shouldn't have to replace the rod, just get the big end resized. Don't worry about balancing them unless they are a mismatched set.

The pistons do wear out, but again, without measuring them, it's hard to say. I would probably just "Scotch Brite" the pistons and clean the ring lands.

Do you know what rings you are going to use? The factory rings are a sprayed chrome finish and last a long time, but cast rings (which are common in aftermarket kits) break in much faster.

It's hard to tell from the pic and without measuring the rod, but I have seen factory rods with that finish in the bore and they can be just fine. You need to be an experienced engine builder to know if how to measure them. You also need a dial bore gauge.

You shouldn't have to replace the rod, just get the big end resized. Don't worry about balancing them unless they are a mismatched set.

The pistons do wear out, but again, without measuring them, it's hard to say. I would probably just "Scotch Brite" the pistons and clean the ring lands.

Do you know what rings you are going to use? The factory rings are a sprayed chrome finish and last a long time, but cast rings (which are common in aftermarket kits) break in much faster.

Thank very very much for your guidance and instructions. Your information on this subject was necessary for me.

• Like 1

That rod will resize. Its not burnt to all fuck. Dont put it back together like that, for obvious reasons. Get the rods resized and new bolts are absolutely nessessary. If i was doing it id bore that block to .5mm but thats me and i like perfect brand new bores.

Your block looks okay, as long as its flat, which it probibly is.

Hey morfeas. Great topic. I also have a Z20 motor I'm working on. I'm hoping that I don't have to mess with the block at all. I will probably be doing a valve job.

Are you going to put all of the stock components back in? I was thinking about putting in a mild cam, Weber carb, headers exhaust.

I'll be following this topic as a reference for my build.

That rod will resize. Its not burnt to all fuck. Dont put it back together like that, for obvious reasons. Get the rods resized and new bolts are absolutely nessessary. If i was doing it id bore that block to .5mm but thats me and i like perfect brand new bores.

Your block looks okay, as long as its flat, which it probibly is.

O.K.

After research, I found std used rod very cheap ($16) and I'm thinking to buy it. Stand by until tomorrow!!

Hey morfeas. Great topic. I also have a Z20 motor I'm working on. I'm hoping that I don't have to mess with the block at all. I will probably be doing a valve job.

Are you going to put all of the stock components back in? I was thinking about putting in a mild cam, Weber carb, headers exhaust.

I'll be following this topic as a reference for my build.

Thanks BenFoOw.

Untill now, I'm going to put all of the stock components back in.

Standby...