L20b doesn't fit?

Janksun

So I swapped in a L20b out of a 79 620 into my 71 510 wagon.

Yes I swapped oil pans

Yes I used the 510 motor mounts

I used the same exact setup that the L16 used on the L20b and the mounts do not line up with the crossmember. If I bolted the drivers side mount in, the passenger side mount sits almost an inch higher than it used to and will not bolt into place.

I then used a bracket from the 620 and it lines up but the motor doesn't sit at the proper angle. So now my transmission sits at a weird angle. And the rubber isolator mounts actually are tearing.

Has anybody had a problem with this and what was your solution?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put the steel mounts on the same side that they came off of. But they could've been reversed in the first place, but why did it work with the L16 and not the L20b?

I'm using rubber mounts from a 510. And yes 510 oil pan for sure. Made that mistake on the first wagon.

Mounts can mean different things to different people. I call the metal part between the block and the rubber pad bolted to the frame or cross member the engine bracket. The rubber parts between the engine brackets and the frame or cross member are isolators. Together they could be called an engine mount but because they come apart and can be mixed it's hard to say j'ust use the 510 mount' when it could be the 620 bracket and the 510 isolator.  

Another option is to loosely bolt the brackets to the engine, the isolators loosely to the brackets and lower the engine close enough to get the isolator bolts just started on one side, then wrestle the other isolator on. Tighten some and finish lowering the engine. I put a Z24 on my 620 and I thought I had the brackets and rubber correct but one side was always off by an inch. It's because they are being lowered down into a valley shaped Vee. Only seems to line up once it's bolted down and you can't bolt it down until it lines up. :lol:

When I originally put this motor in, I had all the bolts loose from the metal bracket to the block and from the metal bracket to the rubber isolator. It didn't not sit right on the crossmember and forcing it into place would create stress on the isolator which will eventually end up tearing it.

The mounts are reversible (upside down) but you'd have to be stupid to not see that they don't work.

However they can be flipped from side to side. No the metal brackets are not exactly the same. I lifted the motor on Sunday and swapped from side to side and still not correct. I talked to the510keeper and he said that there are different mounts for an L16, like 3 different setups.

So I'll I have to figure out which one works.