Will 91 KA 5 speed fit a 90 KA?

findmuck

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my research. Have found nothing. Just curious if a 5 speed from a 1991 KA will bolt right into a 1990 KA? Are they the same transmissions?

The transmissions are likely identical and length will be the deciding factor. Same length? no problem.

As long as they bolt together, transmissions don't know or care what drives them. Engines (with clutched and flywheels) don't care what they are driving. One does not affect the other.

The KA24E and KA24DE apparently both use a 225mm clutch/pressure plate and flywheel. The flywheels are the same part numbers but the clutches are not. At least not exactly... So

Bolt the '91 DE 5 speed onto the '90 E engine, but because the release bearing collars are matched to the clutch  put the E collar (and a new release bearing) onto the DE 5 speed.

The release collars appear to be the same part number but why chance it? Keep the collar with the engine it came on.

• Like 1

Collar is only matched to the pressure plate.

The pressure plate can only bolt to a flywheel that has a matching bolt pattern for it. Engine does not matter either but naturally the flywheel must fit it.

The 240mm pressure plate and flywheel comes only on the Z24 engine in the 720. That flywheel will bolt to an old L20B so (and I have seen this) you can have a 240mm clutch on an L20B but it will only work with a collar from a Z24.

Yes, this is all I have ever read about on 240s. Always thought they were all 240mm but just a good 225. Takes a lot to hold back 150 hp.

I have a couple of 720 240mm wheels and would like to run this clutch on a 2.3 engine I'm building.

P1010018.jpg

• Like 1