Rear disc conversion

therealdatsunnazi

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some search results.  Unfortunately some of the image links do not work.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20432-disc-brake-installed-on-a-drum-brake-truck/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18937-620-rear-disc-brake-conversion-photos/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25152-rear-disc-brackets-for-520521620/

There was another person I think making brackets out of aluminum.  I have no information on him.

The problem is as far as I know nobody did a write up for the E brake mod to go with the rear disk brake conversion.

I am waiting for Mike Klotz to do a set.

Mike Klotz also does front brake kits also along with many other items to better your Datsun.

• Like 1
Guest Rick-rat

You just have to be creative with the E-brake, I used some 1/8 cable and cable clamps and a couple, small turnbuckles  (for adjusting)  for mine. The cables I made hook up to the arm where the handbrake cable from the cab and cables to the rear are hooked up.

I went for rear discs because they look very cool and drums on the rear are a bitch to adjust with lowering blocks, no adjustment needed and more time to drive instead of working on truck  :rofl:

• Like 1

here are some search results.  Unfortunately some of the image links do not work.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20432-disc-brake-installed-on-a-drum-brake-truck/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18937-620-rear-disc-brake-conversion-photos/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25152-rear-disc-brackets-for-520521620/

There was another person I think making brackets out of aluminum.  I have no information on him.

The problem is as far as I know nobody did a write up for the E brake mod to go with the rear disk brake conversion.

I am waiting for Mike Klotz to do a set.

Mike Klotz also does front brake kits also along with many other items to better your Datsun.

i looked into mike and his bluehandsinc stuff but didnt see any rear info just a lot for the fronts, thanks for the links 

Why do you want to put disc on the rear?l 

more stopping power at higher speeds with less fade, the z32s might be enough top stop it but i dont want it to nose dive either, another thing is simplicity and off the shelf parts at any given time, the datsun stuff in this area is hard to find and down the road waiting will suck 

i have kicked around the idea of the 2000ish silverado rear end but im not sure i want to go about gettting shorter shafts for it, i could easily shorten the housing 

• Like 2

Are you racing the truck? Because fade is not a problem with the 620 10" rear drum brakes. The rears do very little braking compared to the stock fronts, and they will be molten hot metal before the rears fade. The only advantage to discs are ease of maintenance, (close to zero) adjustment (zero) replacement pads (cheap and very easy)

Nose dive while braking is not caused by the brakes but by the suspension, shocks, springs and the ride height choice. It's caused by weight transfer to the front. Weight transfer when braking is unavoidable but it can be mitigated.

Rear discs are not really needed but sure are sexy

• Like 1

Go to pinned brakes section, entry #8, click the link and there are some pics in that link that one guy did for his E-brake

will do, thanks

Are you racing the truck? Because fade is not a problem with the 620 10" rear drum brakes. The rears do very little braking compared to the stock fronts, and they will be molten hot metal before the rears fade. The only advantage to discs are ease of maintenance, (close to zero) adjustment (zero) replacement pads (cheap and very easy)

Nose dive while braking is not caused by the brakes but by the suspension, shocks, springs and the ride height choice. It's caused by weight transfer to the front. Weight transfer when braking is unavoidable but it can be mitigated.

im not for say racing the truck, but it will make good power and be a fun street machine(tail happy) , id like it to stop when need be, i hear what you are saying weight transfer etc etc, but if the back is good as the front then you have a better balance, im not against not using the drums, but things for these trucks are getting harder and harder to get, and the rears on my truck are shot, wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, so its not worth it to replace it all, when i could possibly do rear disc for a bit more cash, 

when i get more time i will post some about my self and my truck and other cars/projects 

therealdatsunnazi Mike Klotz has not designed a set of rears. That is why I am waiting.

Rick-rat thank you for posting the e brake info.

maybe he might go something going, im in no rush just looking whats out there 

• Like 1

Yep.Un-less you frequent the Tejon pass(loaded to the max)or track the vehicle, disc will offer zero advantages. Drums are actually more efficient than disc(do to swept area) until they get really warm,hence ,my opening comment.Good drums,good shoes and take the adjusters apart,clean and lube them with anti-seize and you'll have no issues.

• Like 1

will do, thanks

im not for say racing the truck, but it will make good power and be a fun street machine(tail happy) , id like it to stop when need be, i hear what you are saying weight transfer etc etc, but if the back is good as the front then you have a better balance, im not against not using the drums, but things for these trucks are getting harder and harder to get, and the rears on my truck are shot, wheel cylinders, shoes, drums, so its not worth it to replace it all, when i could possibly do rear disc for a bit more cash,

Where are you that you can't get parts? ANY rear 620 brake part is at my local parts house. Back as good as front? That doesn't make sense. The rear drum are engineered to work with the front. Including the NLSV. Changing the "bias" will require other changes to the system to ensure the balance is correct or they will not only be inferior to the drum set-up,but could be dangerous.
  • Like 1

Where are you that you can't get parts? ANY rear 620 brake part is at my local parts house. Back as good as front? That doesn't make sense. The rear drum are engineered to work with the front. Including the NLSV. Changing the "bias" will require other changes to the system to ensure the balance is correct or they will not only be inferior to the drum set-up,but could be dangerous.

its not that i cant get parts, but most are not in stock or special order, im out in northern utah, datsuns are scarce out here and parts too, what i mean by back as good as the front is the should do there equal parts, i dont want all the stopping power up front with the z32's fronts that i already have, i havent driven it with them on or even driven it at all with drums ,all i know is once they fade they are gone, im no n00b on how things works or how they should work, but i am new to these trucks and learning the weak points, i originally planned on just swapping to a ford 8.8 rear end but learned that these trucks diff are pretty strong so decided to stick with this, 

another thing why i asked about the mc, is i thought i read somewhere the earlier trucks the bracket between to mc and booster was weird or something needed to swapped with a later truck or something, 

• Like 1

its not that i cant get parts, but most are not in stock or special order, im out in northern utah, datsuns are scarce out here and parts too, what i mean by back as good as the front is the should do there equal parts, i dont want all the stopping power up front with the z32's fronts that i already have, i havent driven it with them on or even driven it at all with drums ,all i know is once they fade they are gone, im no n00b on how things works or how they should work, but i am new to these trucks and learning the weak points, i originally planned on just swapping to a ford 8.8 rear end but learned that these trucks diff are pretty strong so decided to stick with this, 

another thing why i asked about the mc, is i thought i read somewhere the earlier trucks the bracket between to mc and booster was weird or something needed to swapped with a later truck or something,

They are not going to fade, you won't be driving them that hard. The advantages of disc brakes are listed above. Having leaking and worn out drums could almost be another reason but easier to buy the parts and replace. Order them if you have to.

Otherwise...

For disc brakes you will need a larger master. Larger calipers need more volume to move them the same amount as smaller ones. Too small a master will have a larger travel on the pedal and will feel mushy. Will still work but, mushy feel. The 15/16" master from a '79-'81 280zx will fit and best of all it's already got the proper residual valves in it. The later ''82-'83 master has the horizontal mounting bolts to the booster and this won't fit.

• Like 1

i looked into mike and his bluehandsinc stuff but didnt see any rear info just a lot for the fronts, thanks for the links 

more stopping power at higher speeds with less fade, the z32s might be enough top stop it but i dont want it to nose dive either, another thing is simplicity and off the shelf parts at any given time, the datsun stuff in this area is hard to find and down the road waiting will suck 

i have kicked around the idea of the 2000ish silverado rear end but im not sure i want to go about gettting shorter shafts for it, i could easily shorten the housing 

would be nice to use the narrowed chevy diff, then the wheel bolt pattern would be the same