Lowered trucks are for sissies (Or how i learned to stop scraping and love the bog)

This is how I lower my 521.

BedofPellets_zpsb4a2127e.jpg

Side view.

LowRider_zps209209e8.jpg

Does that make me a sissy?

No,  because if you had a low truck you would have never been able to put that many bags in.. Plus if i say yes ,, you might hit me over the head with all those bags.   . :D   Are those wood pellets?  My dad used to send me 2 hours one way to get 2 full pallets of those things in his old 79 Chevy 1/2 ton and that thing would almost be pulling a wheelie going down the road .

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No,  because if you had a low truck you would have never been able to put that many bags in.. Plus if i say yes ,, you might hit me over the head with all those bags.   . :D   Are those wood pellets?  My dad used to send me 2 hours one way to get 2 full pallets of those things in his old 79 Chevy 1/2 ton and that thing would almost be pulling a wheelie going down the road .

That is BULLSHIT redneck logic! Ya'll can't haul nuttin in ya'lls lowrider trucks or go muddin, dem's useless trucks, jacked up trucks on mud tars...git er done bo, YOLO!  creek.gif

In my old 94 Hardbody I left the rock quarry 1800 pounds heavier than I came in according to the scale. Way over what it was supposed to be able to haul. It was squatting, but wasn't scraping the ground or rubbing the tires. And it handled and drove just fine. The truck was lowered 4" with spindles and torsion bar reindex in the front, and lowering springs in the rear with Belltech shocks at all four corners.

Lowering the RIGHT way is how you maintain load capacity.

• Like 2

That is BULLSHIT redneck logic! Ya'll can't haul nuttin in ya'lls lowrider trucks or go muddin, dem's useless trucks, jacked up trucks on mud tars...git er done bo, YOLO!  creek.gif

In my old 94 Hardbody I left the rock quarry 1800 pounds heavier than I came in according to the scale. Way over what it was supposed to be able to haul. It was squatting, but wasn't scraping the ground or rubbing the tires. And it handled and drove just fine. The truck was lowered 4" with spindles and torsion bar reindex in the front, and lowering springs in the rear with Belltech shocks at all four corners.

I have hauled 1488 pounds of gravel in my previous 2wd hardbody.  The truck CAN haul it, it's the axle that you have to worry about.  Without a one ton axle, the axle housing takes the stress.  I never had a problem with mine, but I'm sure repeated trips of hauling over the 1100 pound factory carry rating would probably lend to a bent axle tube and/or other nasty issues.  

Wood pellets, only one pallet, one ton.

I have a theory.

The 520 and L521 with the J13 was rated at one Tonne. That's 2,200+ pounds!!!!

The '70 and up PL521 with L16 engines are only rated at 500Kg or 1/2 Tonne or 1,200+ pounds.

I can't find any differences in the spring pack and the bottom #5 flat overload? leaf between any 520/521 after '66. This on the face of it, would indicate that Nissan simply changed the rated load carrying on paper only. In Canada you could own a 3/4 ton truck but pay less if licensed as a lesser 1./2 ton. Heavier loads are harder on the roads. (you would never want to be caught carrying more than 500 pounds though!!!) This would maybe save Nissan some money importing?or be cheaper to license for the owner.

Anyway... this is why the 521 can carry such immense loads.  I've carried 75 cases of lettuce at 25 pounds per. The tires were squashed to about an inch thick and the leaf springs were almost flat. Only carried in second gear about a mile from neighbor (worked in a fruit/vegetable delivery company) to my pigs.

Well first off i see by your use of YOLO in a sentence you really see no difference between hillbillies and innercity gangster rappers ,,so that pretty much invalidates any or all of your statement BUT.

First ,, the Datsun truck in video has completely stock suspension ,, not even torsion bars have been touched,, so that kinda rules out your "redneck logic" statement.

Second i have mine on videea as going through mud,,,,,,,, 1800 Lbs in a 4" lowered truck ??? i call BS without pictures.

And finally,,  it being Saturday night and from NC,, weren't you suppose to be attending a anti gay marrage meeting or planning a abortion clinic fire,,,, or something.

:rofl:

And finally,, it being Saturday night and from NC,, weren't you suppose to be attending a anti gay marrage meeting or planning a abortion clinic fire,,,, or something.

No, Saturday night they all get together to build the cross they're gonna burn in somebody's yard after Christmas........then organize the gay hate and abortion fire.

• Like 1

Well, another opinion from someone in the south east (who hates the south east...)

That looks like a shit load of fun! Good job on making it through :thumbup:

Personally, I never liked lifted trucks, but recently I have been looking for a slightly lifted pathy/hardbody or frontier 4x4 as a part grabber, trash hauler, and weekend trail blazer. I think the main issue I have with the lifted trucks is the proportions don't seem to be right. While I'd never go as much as redeye's green truck, his propotion of lift to tire size is spot on so I respect that build.

As for lowered trucks being for sissies, I enjoy a slow low cruise in a classic mini truck. If that makes me a sissy, so be it. When lowered correctly they are hard to beat, and even when they are lowered with blocks and torsions cranked they can be fun. The wear and tear when using cheap blocks and not understanding pinion angle or drive line alignment is a bitch, but for a weekend cruiser it's ok.

For DD just refill the shocks, replace worn suspension parts, and rock it imo.

• Like 1

For me, a truck is a tool and should be treated as such. If the tool needs modification to serve a specific FUNCTION, so be it. That being said, a lowered truck is fashion over function and serves no other purpose than to get attention. Is this sissy though? I don't know because it could be argued the function of this modification is to have a truck and still get laid. On the other extreme,  a truck lifted to the point of uselessness, with chrome axles, and a shiny $15k paint job is inexcusable. Not to mention, this guy has one, So....

speedo-gun-guy.png

And finally,, it being Saturday night and from NC,, weren't you suppose to be attending a anti gay marrage meeting or planning a abortion clinic fire,,,, or something.

No, Saturday night they all get together to build the cross they're gonna burn in somebody's yard after Christmas........then organize the gay hate and abortion fire.

Shouldn't stereotypical comments be in Insomniacs guys?

On paper the axle bearings would be the weak spot in our Datsun trucks, on paper they are not rated for heavy loads, but in reality, they will take a lot of abuse and keep right on trucking down the road.

I went to the dump last summer with a load of roofing(I replaced my roof), when I paid for the load on the way out, they gave me a piece of paper with my weights, I rolled in at over 7200lbs, and I have hauled more than that in the past, that load was over 3800lbs on my 1700lb rated dually axle.

I will not say that I have not had issues with my axles, I have never lost an axle bearing so far, but I have had issues with my rearend gears, I have went through at least 3 pumpkins(H190s), I just wore them out, they would just start howling, and my dually axle had carrier housing issues, I wore out the ring gear mount case where the pin went through the spider gears, it just could not take it, I broke that shaft and it ovaled the holes that holds it in position, I also have went through several U-joints, and lets not forget the 4 dogleg transmissions I destroyed in 5 years.

I have one low rig, I take it to HD all the time and load it with whatever I need to haul, as it is cleaner than the work truck, it has Datsun/Nissan 4X4 leafs, it will haul quite a bit before it starts squatting.

• Like 1