Photo

Mighty Mouse Engine Rebuild & Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#21 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

Yes sir, Wayno. Gonna plumb the rocker cover into the tube in the rear area of the sidewall of the original air filter housing or whatever I end up using. May not be using the original rocker cover but will complete the circuit whatever cover and air cleaner I end with.

Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy !!

#22 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:43 PM

When you said closed system I wondered, most don't describe it that way.

That is the way it should be done, but some don't like to do it that way because they have blow-by, and it gets the airfilter oily, so they just want to block it off, in other wards close that hole up, which will eventually cause the engine seals to start leaking.

Yes sir, Wayno. Gonna plumb the rocker cover into the tube in the rear area of the sidewall of the original air filter housing or whatever I end up using. May not be using the original rocker cover but will complete the circuit whatever cover and air cleaner I end with.

#23 JoeCool

JoeCool

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Cars:1980 Datsun 720... SOLD. Now own a 2002 Nissan Frontier XE. Crew cab, 4x4

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Looking good so far, love those little 320's, makes my 720 look like a full size!

*"If it falls off, it doesn't matter!" Tom Magliozzi of Car Talk

#24 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

This afternoon's project: Fix the hole that one of the POs drilled in the exhaust manifold at the crux above the downtube. A 3/8 body bolt was screwed into the hole like this:

Exhaust-IntakeAssy_zps7edd483a.jpg

I failed to get a photo of the hole with the bolt removed, but it was basically a 3/8" hole. I used a .397 diameter drill and counterbored the hole about 3/16" deep. Got on the lathe and turned a piece of ductile iron stock with a step to a light press fit and punched it in the hole to about 1/16" below the average surface.

ExhaustManifoldHoleFix1_zps824381ec.jpg

Broke out the carbide burr again and dished out the repair to prep for some nickle rod to seal it off. I'll take it to a real welder as I never really cared much about developing that craft.

ExhaustManifoldHoleFix2_zps92a32a6e.jpg

After welding I'll use the burr to blend the weld and blend the unsightly casting flash and go over the whole manifold and get it ready for high-temp coating. It'll look completely different when it comes back from coating.

#25 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

I'm an idiot but what would the point be in drilling a hole there and plugging it with a bolt?

Or did you plug it with the bolt? Either way why drill a hole?

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#26 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:01 PM

The manifold was drilled and plugged with bolt when I acquired the truk a year go and I'm just fixing it. I'm half-drunk and can't even

begin to figure why someone would drill a hole there.

#27 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,503 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm sober and the only reasoning I can come up with is to make it sound different but then (someone) not liking it so plug it with the bolt?

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#28 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

An EGT gauge?

#29 zed1

zed1

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cars:1966 PL520, 1969 Patrol L60, and 1970 240Z

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

An early Oxygen Sensor port. Prehaps the EPA was experimenting with the engine.
A more probable reason would be someone installed a sensor to measure exhaust temp.
Keith

1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/13)

#30 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:15 AM

Very well could have been for a temp sensor, guys. I can't imagine what kind of temps a person would expect coming out of a stock 1189cc E1 motor.

Anyone remember a James Bond movie in the sixties with a red NL in it? If so, could have been the oil injection port for the 'escape & evasion' smoke generator system.     Humor; not.

At any rate, the hole is gone.

#31 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Been bustin' butt over the last week gathering and prepping a box of parts to go to Jet-Hot Coatings in Oklahoma City this next week. Spent yesterday afternoon cleaning up the horns. The covers will get the silver high-temp coating and I haven't decided what color to do the horns in. I've got the horn bodies scraped, washed, blasted, and primed. Sure a world of difference with the fifty years of cooked-on grime gone and dressed up in new primer.

Before

HornsAsPulled_zps02e9712c.jpg

After

HornsCleanedampPrimed_zps3451741b.jpg

The inside horn mechanisms look almost new. The cover in the foreground had a caved in area about 1 1/2" X 1" X 1/2" deep and a little smaller one next to it just above the holes for the brass tag and the slot for the terminal. Guess someone dropped a generator on it over the years. Half an hour of pecking and filing and she's ready for Jet-Hot. A couple of cams are going up to a cam grinding service a few miles from Jet-Hot for a mild performance bump. I'll be picking up a re-chromed 64 grille in Tulsa early this week on another day-run. Forge on ahead.

#32 Doctor510

Doctor510

• PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • Cars:Many 510's

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:23 PM

Nice work, very clever

#33 Conner

Conner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Cars:2009 G37s 1968 2000 Roadster (project) 1964 L320 (project)

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:18 AM

Excellent.  My horns look similar but don't have the round dome-like covers.  I wonder if mine disappeared at some point over the years.  I also didn't crack mine open, just painted them black.  Did you bench test yours?  If so, how?  I recall that one is a high and the other is low.  Which one do you plan to connect? 

#34 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

Conner,

You need to advertise for horns or at least covers on here. They are quite possibly common to other Datsuns of the mid-60's period. I can't remember the manufacturer but I have the little brass tags that I'll clean up and put back on after they're coated. You don't want the working parts of the horns exposed to the fumes & crud in the engine room for an indefinite period. One horn is high-tone and one is low-tone. In the above photo of the cleaned horns, you can see the 'H' in the casting on the left horn at close to the top of the horn. There's also an H or L cast into the flared opening of the horn. The horns made sound before I broke the truk down and  I have just bumped the horns on a battery and they both make sound. Before I put them back on I'll adjust them individually and together for the optimum sound that I want. On the right horn (cleaned photo) the screw with the spring under it is the adjuster.

They'd look kick-arse with the castings painted red with the polished aluminum coated covers and maybe look too sweet to hide back in the engine room. Maybe mount them on the front bumper.....

NOT !! Just kiddin'.

Steve

#35 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:17 AM

Conner,

Forgot to add to previous post; the covers just snap on. The punched oval cutout goes over the electrical terminal and there's a dimple on the opposite of the cover that snaps into the hole in a little L-bracket that's riveted or spot welded to the steel horn mechanism base. the 'L' bracket is visible at the left side of the horn on right of same photo. If the covers get out of shape over the years they could vibrate/bounce off and get lost under and out the back of the vehicle going down the road, Probably what happened to yours. The covers and bracket can be tweaked to get a good retention when re-assembling the covers to the horn.

#36 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts
  • Cars:1966 520, 1967 520, 1985 720 ST King Cab, 1986 720 King Cab

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

Any updates

#37 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

Not a lot to write home about. Been doing a few of the 'grunt work' tasks like cleaning various smaller trinkets and stripping the engineroom down for heavy-duty cleaning and touchup. The engine compartment condition is in surprisingly good condition for half a century wear & tear.

The block and head won't be back from the shop for a couple weeks and the cams will go out for regrind and a good sized box of parts will go to Jet-Hot for coating next week. Good time to get some of my least favorite chores out of the way. Gonna replace all the hard brake lines and update to dual-circut brakes. Anyone know if I'll need to add in a proportioning valve (Wayno, has your NL got one)?

EngineRoom2_zps00e336e6.jpg

EngineRoom3_zps1e8e11c8.jpg

#38 Charlie69

Charlie69

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts
  • Cars:1966 520, 1967 520, 1985 720 ST King Cab, 1986 720 King Cab

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

The engine bay is in great shape.  Thank you for sharing.  Happy New Year!

#39 Conner

Conner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Cars:2009 G37s 1968 2000 Roadster (project) 1964 L320 (project)

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

I just replaced all the round grommets in my engine bay this weekend.  I had to order minimum quantities of like 25 so I have extras of every size you probably need.  Shoot me a PM if you would be interested in a "kit" for your engine bay. 

I'm interested in what you have running through the two holes in your firewall and upper fender on the driver's side.  Something comes through the firewall above the upper shelf and then feeds back into another hole in the upper fender into the fender (back out of the engine bay).  Is that a wiring harness or cable?  In my truck those holes appear to be abandoned.  I haven't gotten there yet but I am afraid I'm going to have serious wiring issues. 

#40 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Conner,

It's the radio antenna co-ax cable. I'll probably take it out as I'm leaving the radio in but not operational. It's positive ground and the truk is neg ground. It looks historically great but I'd rather hear the little E1 anyway. It's gonna be interesting to see how that nasty looking corner is gonna clean up and touch-up. I'm hopin' for a great 'survivor' look with abundance of patina, but if it doesn't turn out like I want it, I'll paint all the sheetmetal in the engine room. The finished engine, as I envision it, may look out of place unless I go ahead and paint it all. We'll see.

TopofDriverSideCowl_zps8c5e9c8d.jpg

TopofDriverFender_zps55eeb2ec.jpg