Photo

Mighty Mouse Engine Rebuild & Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#321 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Elbow made from Flex-Seal is in foreground.

Elbows_2_Kind__P.jpg

Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy !!

#322 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Cars:78 620 Longbed, '63/64 NL320, '64 Beetle Type 117 Ragtop, 61 FIAT 500D, 3 Vespa Scooters

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Since assembling the E1 and into the running in that I did on the roll-around cart and after the reinstallation into Mighty Mouse, I've noticed puffs of white smoke off & on from the exhaust. I've probably got the equivalent of 700-800 miles on the motor now and in driving I've noticed that accelerating after pulling down speed using the engine to scrub speed, I especially notice a small white cloud. A couple of the plugs weren't wet with oil but pretty sooty with a good coat of soot in the exhaust outlet. Also noticed a gradual drop of oil level. I thought this out and decided that it must either be that I messed up an oil ring on assembly or had some bad valve stem seals. I didn't like the design of the oil seals that came in the gasket set but used them anyway.

The original seals had two compression rings, one at the top that compressed the seal onto the valve stem and one down low that compressed the seal body onto the outer diameter of the valve guide. The seals from the kit were of rubber compound only with a small o-ring in addition. The cup of the seal was a real loose fit on the valve guide. I had a bad feeling about this but assembled them anyway. After I observed the smoke and thought about it a bit, I contacted motorpowerinc.com and sent them photos of the originals and inquired what they stocked. I was pleased with the info they provided and ordered ten seals @ about $1.40 a pop. Their seals have a formed brass body that presses down onto the valve guide with the rubber part at the top cast onto the brass sleeve and a coil compression spring to force the flexible seal onto the valve stem diameter. Here's a pic with the original on left, kit seal in middle and the motorinc seals on right.

Valve_Seals.jpg

Took the rocker assembly off and plugs out and rolled over to TDC firing position on #1 cylinder using the hand crank. Sawed off 15" of 1/2 metal electrical conduit and poked two 5/16" holes to fit the outer rocker shaft studs for a fulcrum bar to compress the springs from. Had a fitting that I made years ago from an old sparkplug with the insulator knocked out and an air hose male fitting silver-soldered in that I screwed into #1 sparkplug hole. Made this tool out of scraps to compress the springs.

Valve_Seal_Compression_Tool.jpg

Gassed cylinder #1 up to 110 PSI & tapped the intake & exhaust spring caps a couple times to loosen the keepers. Hooked the tool up and compressed the springs, removed the keepers, caps, and springs. Here's a shot of it all in place on cylinder #4.

Valve_Seal_Compression.jpg

Here's a shot of cylinder #3 showing the seal from the kit on left and pretty much how it was positioned up off the valve guide. The Motorinc seal is on the right.

Valve_Seal_Comparison.jpg

I highly recommend snagging a set of the motorinc seals if you're rebuilding an E or J-Series engine. I'll report back on the results of this little endeavor.

#323 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

Picture #3 was cylinder #3

#324 abbylind

abbylind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Cars:77 620

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:15 AM

Reminds me of my 74 620 4X4. The 1800 engine blew smoke when you let up on the throttle. Bad valve seals were the culprit. Used the same air trick on the spark plug holes. I didnt have the nifty spring compressor tool you made back then! 

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

#325 zed1

zed1

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cars:1966 PL520, 1969 Patrol L60, and 1970 240Z

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Steve,
When you have completed Mighty Mouse would you consider helping with the US aging infrastructure? I know your talents would ensure that the bridges are straight and the strong!
Keith

1969 Patrol L60
1965 Patrol L60 (parts provider)
1966 PL520
1970 240Z
1990 300ZX (sold 10/13)

#326 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

I believe that there are a number of universal and also specific purpose compressors for assembled units, but I figured that I could whip something up quicker and with less blood-pressure escalation than locating and buying/borrowing something & it worked like a champ. 

I can't remember, old age I guess, but I guess that I'd done something like change seals on an assembled engine in the distant past. Can't imagine otherwise why I'd have made up the sparkplug hole fitting which I've had for decades. My dad was a mechanic, upholster, bodyman most of his life, so we probably tackled some kind of disaster at one time.

Drove the 320 a bit yesterday with no sign of little smoke clouds in the rear view mirror like before. 

I got my two hoods out and looks like the Mouse will finally get a hood back on. Gonna strip the good hood and get the neighborhood bodyman to work it over and match it up close for now. Then it'll be on to something else on this project. Gonna start looking for a good H190 in 4:11 gearing so the Mouse can grow some legs a little longer.

Steve

#327 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:57 AM

Steve,
When you have completed Mighty Mouse would you consider helping with the US aging infrastructure? I know your talents would ensure that the bridges are straight and the strong!
Keith

I'll consider most anything, Keith, but the Mouse will probably never be completed unless it's by the next guy. 'Miles to go before I sleep'

I've been trying to keep the thought of another project to slot behind the 320, keeping in mind that I have to deal with the little wifey. Says I have too many projects already and I need to loose a vehicle to add a new one. So many vehicles on my 'Bucket List'; U320, V320, early FIAT 126, Steyer-Puch Haflinger, jazzed-up Chevy Chevette, & the list goes on in addition to all the non-vehicle projects.

I'll probably not be driving more than ten more years. 

#328 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

Cool upgrade. When I built my last BMC A series (1275 for my Sprite), I installed Nissan valves and modern stem seals to take it into the 21st century. It's fun applying modern tech to ancient engines.

#329 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Mouse had to git up off his lazy H190 & do a bit of haulin today. Gardenin' season !!

Mouse_at_Work_26_March_2017.jpg

#330 mklotz70

mklotz70

Beelzebub

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,650 posts
  • Cars:'64 Fairlane wgn, '14 Kia Forte EX, '70 521(wife's), '72 521(mine)

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Love the spring compression tool!!

Don't have to be too bright to be me!! :D
Sadly, I prove this nearly everyday!!! :(
www.bluehandsinc.com
youtube.com/bluehandsvideo

#331 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

Love the spring compression tool!!

Might know that'd catch an ol' hand-cranker, programmer, button-pusher's eye.

Thanx, Mike.

#332 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

RE: PHOTOBUCKET DILEMMA

If anyone is reading through this thread and wants to see photos of a particular post, PM me and I'll sent them to you.

I may go back and hook in some of the photos throughout this thread and, then again, I may not. Depends on how much recliner time I see in the next little bit.

I realize that many folks have a sore butt over the recent actions of PB but it is just a matter of economics. 

You only get free milk for a time; then you gotta sneak under someone else's cow or buy a cow of your own.

Just the basic laws of nature. 

I kinda figured out back in the 70's (psychadellic) days, that there are something like a dozen laws of Nature that control everything in life.

You can bend the rules; you can't beat them indefinitely.

'The Laws of the Jungle'

'Keep On Truckin'

Keep_On_Truckin.jpg

#333 Conner

Conner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Cars:2009 G37s 1968 2000 Roadster (project) 1964 L320 (project)

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

What are the other 11 Laws of Nature???!!!

#334 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

I've only figured out three more or so. 

But I'm only seventy years old, so I'm still figurin'.

I'll try to get those other three or so together & post 'em.

If I can remember what we were talking about tomorrow.

It's past bed-time for septagenarians. 

#335 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts
  • Cars:http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/features/rover/0611_4wd_1957_range_rover/viewall.html

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

I don't have a problem with what Photobucket did or even how they did it. It was always a known fact that eventually I would have to pay. I started paying and everything is fine. The main reason I don't like photobucket is because of how hard it is to use. It takes 8 clicks to get one image uploaded onto a forum. It's not flawless either. I often have to make adjustments and reload images.

That said, maybe I should start looking for another host that won't leave me stranded when my limit is reached.

I have printed to PDF whole threads before. Threads that if I lost, they would be very hard to recreate. It's a lot of work, but I have seen the writing on the wall and I won't get caught out...again.

#336 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

Got my butt in gear and decided to mix in a little improvement on Mighty Mouse with the other projects using up my time. It's been near a year since the last effort which was the coolant overflow system. Took the U-Channel rails off the top of the bed, the little trim pieces off the base of the cab B-Pillars, and the caps below the tail light units off. One of the bed rails had about a dozen holes drilled over the length and the rail off the top of the tailgate had two holes. Kinda looked like a previous owner had started to work up some sort of bed cove; maybe vinyl with snaps around the bed top and decided to not carry through with it. 

Called my chrome guy to see what he wanted in the way of plugging up the holes and he told me to just dimple them down a little and fill em up with brass. Did that and blasted the backs of all the parts. Also decided to do the trim for the front edge of the hood. Took them to the chrome shop today and it's gonna run me about $300. Seems like a pretty good price for the quality of work that he does. Supposed to get them back in about a month. Hood trim is not in the pic.

Chrome_Candidates_-_March_2018.jpg

#337 wayno

wayno

Datsunahaulic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,295 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

I did that on my 320, I think they should have sent them out from the factory like that.

DSCN3378.jpg

I have not done the box trim or cab corners, I likely never will now.

#338 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Right, Wayno, but they built so few N, U, or V's that I bet they lost a ton of money on every one that they built.

Just wrote it off to the price of getting into the world market.

#339 Stoffregen Motorsports

Stoffregen Motorsports

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,116 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:32 AM

Steve. I found this toy on the shelf in my office and I thought of you. I completely forgot that I had it.

20180325_101434_zpspdnoqrwv.jpg

20180325_101454_zpsjvowr8ox.jpg

#340 difrangia

difrangia

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 04:54 AM

Yeah, if mine wasn't a unibody, I do a tube-frame & OD canvas camper with roll-up sides. I remember my dad building one up for his early 50's GMC in the mid 50's. We moved to California and back in the GMC. Had a six-cylinder Model-T engine & trany and all our household stuff crammed in that camper. Mama bear, papa bear, and two little cubs in the cab. Three cubs in the cab on the way back. The GMC got an Olds 'Rocket' V8 transplanted in when we moved back to Oklahoma. Pops was a Chevy dealer mechanic from about 1952 to 1962. He was there on the front line when the Vette, the small-block and the 348, and the Rochester fuel injection were introduced. My first car was a 55 four-door 210 sedan with a Duntoved out 283 with a 58 Vette Rochester FI unit on it. A real sleeper except it hissed like a snake. Made it hard to sneak up on anybody. Wish like hell I had that engine now.

If you're using Google Chrome and you've downloaded the fix, you can see the pics.

55_Chevy_in_High_School_Engine_Left.jpg

55_Chevy_-_Philly_and_the_Feulie.jpg.jpg

Polaroid of the engine in the 55. Second photo is the wifey sitting on the air plenum at a family lake outing when she was 15 years old.

Crazy kids !!