Steering wheels, seats and coilovers

Rondaddy

I'm a 510 newbie having purchased a restored car a coupla months ago.  My three goals for the car come Springtime are to install new coilovers at all four corners and new seats and steering wheel. I see that some of you like to use a Z car steering wheel. I'm open to that suggestion and also interested in other options that have a period look.  As for seats, I'd like to have something supportive but not too confining. I like the seats I've had in my German cars (BMWs and Porsches).  I remember fondly the seats in the early VW Golfs.  

Any body have suggestions for me as to these components?

Here's my dime (I just learned that terminology here):

1969Datsun510extpfront2_zps6f6e4284.jpg

Here's the interior:

1969Datsun510intddash1_zps17a28121.jpg

1969Datsun510intpseat_zpsc1173c23.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Corbeau seats a lot.  Their period buckets are especially appealing. 

The car has some Ermish suspension parts (adjustable control arms and the like) so I'm thinking I might go with his coilovers.  

The steering wheel earned some criticism on the General Discussion page and that got me thinking I might like something a little more authentic. The wheel is a little beat up but is a good size and has some nice heft to it (and a handsome Datsun badge in the center).  

The S30 wheel has some merits for looks but too small for proper grip. I liken it to trying to hold onto a coat hanger. All the old Datsuns were this way and your hands get sore wrestling it around. I know sounds pussy but try it and you'll see I'm right. With age comes a strange appreciation of comfort.

I like the Corbeau seats a lot.  Their period buckets are especially appealing. 

The car has some Ermish suspension parts (adjustable control arms and the like) so I'm thinking I might go with his coilovers.  

The steering wheel earned some criticism on the General Discussion page and that got me thinking I might like something a little more authentic. The wheel is a little beat up but is a good size and has some nice heft to it (and a handsome Datsun badge in the center).  

The bluebird wheel is really nice made of wood and it has a SSS insignia in the middle. Corbeau is nice and i am sporting those in my 521 truck. Check it out all suede because i am cool like that.lol

Suspension there is ermish and DAtsport out of Aussie land and also ground control here in the states that make nice stuff.

Now whip out your VISA and charge it. if your not in debt now you should be.lol

The bluebird wheel is really nice made of wood and it has a SSS insignia in the middle. Corbeau is nice and i am sporting those in my 521 truck. Check it out all suede because i am cool like that.lol

Suspension there is ermish and DAtsport out of Aussie land and also ground control here in the states that make nice stuff.

Now whip out your VISA and charge it. if your not in debt now you should be.lol

Hands down the SSS look great for sure! (pun intended) I can always wear gloves.

Nice ride!  What is wrong with the Momo Corse wheel?

The biggest sin? is that they are not stock and then not Nissan. After that... you are paying for a name only to promote it for free by having it in your car. I lkie to make improvements by promoting in house parts whenever possible. ZX struts/Brakes, KA oil pumps on L series engines, newer Nissan seats, 720/D-21 parts on 620s, 620/zx 5 speeds in earlier cars.. things like this.

The steering wheel is the main interface between human and machine, so comfort is paramount here.  It doesnt look out of place, its a well constructed wheel and it's comfortable.... Promote? promote that you have a steering wheel that you like to grip while driving?  A sin?  LOL The car is painted in modern BRE livery....perhaps a 'prototipo' wheel would be more appropriate if you are going for a more period correct look.  Panasports look choice too!

First of nice dime!

If you want a classic look and better control get a Nardi steering wheel, I had one and it was great, just too shinny for me.

Suspension, I have zx housings and ground control coil overs all around and it performs great, zero complaints.

Steering wheel selection has to do, mostly, with personal preference and the look you like for your interior.  I put the wood Momo in my son's car, pictured, and one in my car because I really like the looks, size, and positive comments from people who see the wheel in the car.  The same can be said for the seats.  You mentioned the 80's period VW rabbit/Golf, they are Recaro seat manufactured for VW.  I mounted the VW seats, wife loved them so much, we bought a 2011 Golf because the seats are almost the same, and made her feel like she was in the Datsun.  The new 2011 Golf seats just have jazzed up electric adjustments.  I posted pictures of the steering wheel and seats below.

SteeringWheel.jpg

FrontSeats.jpg

I like the look of the seats but not the fit.  I don't like the 4 point race harnesses either.  I find them very cumbersome they are an older design where the shoulder straps fit over a tongue on the latch plate of the lap belt.  Maybe a good diet and some newer buckle-in harnesses is all I need.  In the Spring when she comes out of hibernation I'm gonna shoot some pics of the front struts and coilovers.  The race shop where I took her for a good going over and which services some racing 510s thought the setup was odd.  The seller said the front struts were Z car.

The steering is my biggest gripe with the car.  A lot of play.  Not sure if I need to replace the steering block or linkage or both. 

The steering is my biggest gripe with the car. A lot of play. Not sure if I need to replace the steering block or linkage or both.

It could be a combanation of things. I would make sure all of the front end parts are good ( centerlink, tierods, lower control arm bushings, all the areas where they connect not having looseness or play, and rubber parts not rotted and worn). Also look to see if the steering box has any play, I think there is a nut that can be loosened and a slot on the end of the thredded part you loosened the nut from can be snugged up some to take a little slack out then tighten up the nut again. If the box still has any slack it probably will need to be rebuilt. The only other thing would be checking the condition the ball joints. The shop should be abel to check all of these things out.

It could be a combanation of things. I would make sure all of the front end parts are good ( centerlink, tierods, lower control arm bushings, all the areas where they connect not having looseness or play, and rubber parts not rotted and worn). Also look to see if the steering box has any play, I think there is a nut that can be loosened and a slot on the end of the thredded part you loosened the nut from can be snugged up some to take a little slack out then tighten up the nut again. If the box still has any slack it probably will need to be rebuilt. The only other thing would be checking the condition the ball joints. The shop should be abel to check all of these things out.

Just to clarify, the steering is supposed to have a little bit of play.  My rule of thumb is you should be able to move the wheel about 1/4" before it actually moves the steering box.  If you tighten the box up to get rid of all the slack, you'll kill the steering box pretty quick.