What is wrong with Ratsun, can it be fixed?

Ratsun seems fine to me, plenty of the old-guard  around to give sage advice and a steady stream of newcomers. From what I have seen on other car forums we are no bigger dicks than anybody else.

I liked the old classified ads a LOT more.

maybe you just miss Tristin and Ratwaggin?

• Like 2
  • Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We get about 1-3 new member posts per day on average. These have to be mod approved before they go on the forum. There are also new members that haven't posted (yet?) or who may never post. Obviously we don't have 20,000 + members, active at least. We do have 1.2 million posts though. Including the hidden ones.

• Like 1

It does, but still this often happens in ordinary threads too. Something is said and someone corrects the info or is corrected. If only the old classifieds did only that.... but along with the good and useful comes the bad.

So what you're saying is that the old classifieds just like the ordinary threads provide useful info and the bad (flaming)?

Or, are the ordinary threads provide useful info only?

People don't act right.. they get banned, no matter which section they misbehave in.

I just don't think that the information volume is anywhere near what it used to be.

-my two cents. 

• Like 5

Just wondering why Ratsun has lost so many members over the last couple years?

There have been multiple forums started by ex Ratsun members.  What has driven these people away?

Charlie whenever somebody posts a thread like this it's usually do to a specific personal matter.

We're here to help. What's actually the matter? You can tell  us. We'll be gentle

• Like 3

So what you're saying is that the old classifieds just like the ordinary threads provide useful info and the bad (flaming)?

Yes. Mostly useful information. Not much flaming but it happens. I don't think the 'flaming' is near as bad as it was. By flaming I mean swearing at someone and name calling... generally 'loosing your temper.' That would be obvious where trolling is not.

Or, are the ordinary threads provide useful info only?

answered above.

People don't act right.. they get banned, no matter which section they misbehave in.

Well there's black and white but 'not acting right' can be in shades gray. We have shades of banning in hourly increments, to days, to permanent. One of the worst things is to be put on mod approval. Makes being part of a conversation impossible when you are 12 hours or a day late with comments.

I just don't think that the information volume is anywhere near what it used to be.

-my two cents.

Maybe, I'm here a lot. I haven't noticed anything, myself. I don't know how that would be measured.

• Like 1

notice who the only mod is to mention anything in this thread?

it doesnt take a genius to see that the site is ran by just a few of the many mods.

Where all the mods. Come on guys how about some input. As you are the only ones that can really change things here. I can only do so much.

Hard to keep up.

Only been an hour. Steve was here this AM but is likely at work now. I took the day off.

Well thread is only three hours now. Steve checks in but doesn't always post, although he did today, the rest of the day he's at work, as I would be doing, but I'm home today. Not saying I'm not on here a lot. If you want to assure he sees this send... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/64851-what-is-wrong-with-ratsun-can-it-be-fixed/ by private message.

my opinion is that the management of the site has become stagnated. 

I'm sure he will be delighted to hear you say this.

• Like 1

Yes. Mostly useful information. Not much flaming but it happens. I don't think the 'flaming' is near as bad as it was. By flaming I mean swearing at someone and name calling... generally 'loosing your temper.' That would be obvious where trolling is not.

answered above.

Well there's black and white but 'not acting right' can be in shades gray. We have shades of banning in hourly increments, to days, to permanent. One of the worst things is to be put on mod approval. Makes being part of a conversation impossible when you are 12 hours or a day late with comments.

Maybe, I'm here a lot. I haven't noticed anything, myself. I don't know how that would be measured.

As I understood, the classifieds got changed because people didn't play nice, talking shit, trolling, what ever..that's not what I was getting at.

My point was that people don't play nice in the reg threads also. But the reg threads do not provide the info!!!

My routine was to check classifieds daily to see what was out there and the comments that followed. Users' comments is where I learned everything.

Checking build threads for that information is no easy task, if its there at all. 

During the brief time the classifies were up, I was able to sell a lot, from "quiet car" to datslandsocal rubber, all kinds of stuff from cars I parted out..

Change is never easy, I decided to join facebook (I know, the devil) to get on datsun pages just to be able to comment/read comments on for sale/wanted ads.

• Like 1

It may have been convenient for you but it sounds like what you find is simply serendipitous. If this is the case and not looking for anything in particular then the way it is now should work just as well.

If looking for particular information, the classifieds isn't the best use of time. Start a thread or use our search function.... then start a thread?The info is here or out there and available.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will always be things that we don't like that go along with change. Change is inevitable, something we can't control. Perhaps the things we don't like about the unavoidable change we use as a scapegoat to cast the blame on? As with all things new, I believe Ratsun was once the new, exciting thing to which many people flocked. After time, it wasn't as shiny and lustrous as it was at its inception. People settle in to their niches, or just become too busy with life to spend as much time here. It happens. It's all part of change. There are still plenty of good things and good people that invest into this community. Find the good.

I myself enjoy it for what it is, as well as remember it for what it was.

• Like 4

Gosh. I am 60, and have had at least one Datsun since High school.  I graduated from that in 1973.

I guess that make me somewhere between grumpy old man, and Senior member.

I sometimes get a little short, and my attempts at humor are not seen by all. 

I like this about Ratsun.  NO ADS!

I have learned to ignore threads I do not like, or have no interest in.  

"I have learned to ignore threads I do not like, or have no interest in."  This solves a lot.

It's the internet, people have forgotten they can turn it off and walk away.

• Like 2

Old classified ad's tipped the price in the buyers favor....New classified ad's seem to lean towards the seller.  All the changes happened when I was not on the computer due to the birth of my boy and him getting all my time.  Seems different to me.

I prefer the old way, but I still keep logging in during my spare time.

and fuck facebook.

Edited by bilzbobaggins
  • Like 2

The problem is Ratsun active members seamed to have dropped of drastically and I hope this does not end up with Ratsun being like many other Datsun related forums and be gone for history.

I hope people can just get along with the forum updates, I did not like the new classifieds at first but I have gotten adjusted to them and now I appreciate the fact that you do not have to wade through all the pages of comments.  All that is there is the ad and the contact directly link.

I haven't been a member here for too long but I don't see any problems here that are not happening on other forums that I visit. I love that this forum doesn't have adds or stupid pop ups like a lot of other forums. I was not here for the old classifieds so I don't know what it was like but I don't see anything wrong with the current classifieds. I don't post much but I'm here just about every day. The fall to just about all forum sites these days is FACEBOOK!

• Like 1

This is good conversion and it is sad that Mike seams on his own.  But Mike is handling it well.  There has to be some kind of sensor ship on a public forum to keep the forum out of hot water with the internet gods.   And then there has to be guidelines that the forum masters create to keep the forum a happy place.  so to say a forum is a democracy is wrong.

I do not do face book either.  I think it is a waste of time.  I do not care what phatbear13 had for dinner.

• Like 2

Mike, my comment "where are all the mods" is just that.  You are the only mod that I see on a daily basis.  If the mods life have become to busy maybe you guys might think about adding more mods.  What happened to "The Bam Hammer" Skib? For one.

• Like 2

I don't know about you guys, but I think of ratsun as a bit more than a forum.

I call it my car club. I treat it like a club and event people treat me like I am a representative of a larger club. I've got decals on my vehicles. I talk about other members as though we're part of a society of Ratsuners. I'm trying to make more of a real world presence here in my part of the world.

When I got here, I was not in the minority of people who treated it that way. I hope it grows in my region enough to have meets and events.

If anything needs fixing, its the sense of community. We are not just individuals visiting an online archive of information. We're a group with similar ideas. The internet is just the easiest method of communicating with such a wide spread group.

• Like 3

Old classified ad's tipped the price in the buyers favor....New classified ad's seem to lean towards the seller.  All the changes happened when I was not on the computer due to the birth of my boy and him getting all my time.  Seems different to me.

I prefer the old way, but I still keep logging in during my spare time.

and fuck facebook.

How do you figure it tilts towards the seller?  I like that the transactions, the haggling over price is a private affair.

For me ratsun is just fine..

I came into the site right before the classifieds changed, I believe... things are fine.. yes people need to try a little harder to get the info they need but the info is here.. people may be unruly or kinda angry at time but I do understand someone being this way towards a person asking a question that's been asked ten hundred times....

I'd say just try and guide people more, those of you that know a lot that is..

I'm here for one thing, to get more information and knowledge of the beloved Datsuns.

20141108_141352.jpg

HakoCruise084.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

20140927_181428.jpg

20140825_171216.jpg

• Like 2