'82 720 mixture adjustment and other problems

theboraxkid

I need my Datsun to pass California smog now. It seems to run a little rich, and the P.O. rebuilt the carb so I'm sure they didn't get the mixture right. How do I adjust it properly? Also, my clutch slave cylinder is fixed, thanks for all you help! One more thing though, my truck misfires like crazy until it warms up, and then every time I make a right turn. Can anyone help determine the cause? Thank you!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: I found out my carb is a Hitachi, and the choke, cutoff valve, and some kind of vacuum thing on the side of the carb were all broken. I tried to fix them, now it backfires and runs even worse. Also, there's a weird dangling lever on the back that appears to go to nothing. Am I best off with a new carb?

I need my Datsun to pass California smog now. It seems to run a little rich, and the P.O. rebuilt the carb so I'm sure they didn't get the mixture right. How do I adjust it properly? Also, my clutch slave cylinder is fixed, thanks for all you help! One more thing though, my truck misfires like crazy until it warms up, and then every time I make a right turn. Can anyone help determine the cause? Thank you!

Float level set way too low. Gas should be at the dot on the round glass on the front.

Update: I found out my carb is a Hitachi, and the choke, cutoff valve, and some kind of vacuum thing on the side of the carb were all broken. I tried to fix them, now it backfires and runs even worse. Also, there's a weird dangling lever on the back that appears to go to nothing. Am I best off with a new carb?

If that bad probably a new replacement... but they are hundreds of $$

check out nationalcarburetors.com

i think it's $158 for a rebuilt with a lifetime warranty.  very reasonable i think.  might even get a carb from them in the future...

have you checked all vac lines and smog components?  there is an anti-backfire valve but mine passed smog even with it being defective... 

Float level. It was just a possibility. Low level will slosh over to the left side on a right turn and uncover the primary jet. If when idling the fuel level is at or close to the dot on the front glass then float level is fine.

Wires. Back firing can be from a spark jumping to the wrong wire. Check the plug wires go to the correct plugs. (it's very easy to get them mixed up so check) Costs nothing and could solve your problem and save hours of needless looking elsewhere. Inspect cap and rotors for wear or cracks. There are 8 plugs jammed on that distributor, all very close to each other. They must be in good condition. Check, clean and gap the plugs too.

A stock cap will have the lettering on them for the plug... 1E Exhaust one, 3I Intake three etc.

720timing002Large.jpg

Timing. Z series are very tolerant of too much timing advance and it might not be noticeable at idle. Set timing to 5 degrees BTDC with the vacuum advance hose disconnected.

Valve lash. In order for the explosion inside every cylinder to stay in the cylinder all valves must close tightly. For the valve to close all the way there has to be some clearance between the valve and the rocker arm. If too tight, the flame can get past the valve and explode out the carburetor. Set valve lash to 0.013" intake and exhaust.

Carb. A partly blocked main jet will prevent the mixture being correct. This can cause a 'lean' backfire under acceleration. Remove and clean is the best remedy.

Accelerator pump. The accelerator pump forces a rich mixture when accelerating just off idle. Above idle air flow isn't enough to suck in fuel through the primary jet and the engine will normally go lean and can 'lean backfire'.. The accelerator pump squirts raw gas in to help transition through this low speed area. With engine OFF look down the carb and pump the gas pedal. You should see a strong squirt of fuel into the primary barrel (farthest from the valve cover)

It ran absolutely fine whenever it was warmed up and going straight, the problem was only when it was cold started or around right turns. Now the thing doesn't want to rev at all, and I put everything exactly how it was before I tried to fix it. It starts, runs fine, but after a few seconds it sputters out, and if I hit the gas, it backfires sharply. I'm a college student, so I really have no money for a decent timing gun thing, but everything else except the carb seems to be working just fine...

Cold running. Next time it is cold take the top off the air filter and look inside. The choke plate should be partly closed. Have someone pump the gas pedal or work the throttle cable by hand. You should see the choke plate snap closed. Like this...

Closed when choke is on and engine cold...

carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

Open when engine warmed up...

carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg

When the engine is cold the fuel is not warmed sufficiently and turned into a vapor that mixes perfectly with the air. The engine will run lean. (and can backfire) To counteract this, the engine uses a choke to increase the suction and draw in additional fuel. Most chokes are heated electrically and this turns them off in under ten minutes.

There should be an electrical plug near the back of the carb with a Blue/White stripe to the idle cut and a Blue wire to the choke heater. Find the idle cut wire and you can join the choke heater wire to it, to get it working.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe something simple to fix this up.