Carb ka question

DjSpecter

After reading many many forums and the ka24de info thread and hours on google..I just have a few questions after buying this ka24de that I plan to put dual webers on...

1. Do I need the oil pump shaft and dizzy from a l20b?

2. Or do I need the oil pump shaft and dizzy and oil pump gear?

3. Can some one chime in on the parts I need for the carb conversion?

It's a ka from a s13 with 5 speed. The guy I bought it from is selling it for 100.00 with out harness and ecu, I'm going to put it in my ae86. I hope you guys can give some advise as I keep looking on all the for us and you guys like the ka swap.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if its from a car, then it has the distributor on the head. theres no "drop in" conversion for an S13 KA. 

any carbed S13 ive seen has had a homemade or custom made distrubutor made, either using a datsun matchbox dist, or some other aftermarket variant. 

answer to #1.

since the s13 KA has a crank driven oil pump, and not by a drive shaft like the L/Z/KA series, you can just drop it and swa it out. its not there. 

answer to #2.

kind of appendix to #1. you arent going to need these parts. s13 KA has a crank driven pump. 

answer to #3. 

with my carbed KA, i used a 2000 frontier engine. 

the frontier and hardbody KAs are like an L-series. they have the distributor on the timing cover instead of the head. a lot easier to convert. 

ive had a single cam carbed and now this dual cam. 

you dont need alot to carb it.

with a truck KA, you drop the oil pump, remove the KA oil pump drive and replace it with an l16-18-20 drive. the L-series distributor pedestal with fit on the KA timing cover. you have ti drill and tap at least 1 hole to hold the pedestal to the timing cover. at this point, you can use whatever L-series distributor you please. 

the intake it easy too. i used truck intakes on both of my engines. the single cam intake and dual cam intakes are nearly idential, so it pretty easy either way. the single cam intake i use 40cal cases and model glue to plug the injector holes. we welded the dual cam intake on the second bout. 

i built a flat plate that bolts to the intake, and then a weber adapter bolts to that. weber bolts to the adapter after that. 

20141028_120651_HDR_zpspkhsifjt.jpg

20141028_120604_HDR_zpskamwovxe.jpg

this is how i mounted the distributor pedestal. 

20141028_100107_HDR_zpsq1ygwrbn.jpg

20141028_100014_HDR_zps0pdxtrx2.jpg

welded DE intake

20141027_212422_HDR_zpscumrbx3k.jpg

the carb adapter with the carb off. 

20140928_162359_HDR_zpsc1shhhdt.jpg

carbed E..

CAM00248_zpskm9jsakh.jpg

hope it helps. 

• Like 1

I think Neil was pretty clear..... but... wow.  :poke: 

The S13 KA and the Frontier KA are. ... totally different, really.

No you can't carb an S13/S14 KA without running a standalone igniton set up. Don't waste your time. Not worth it. Not even to be "different".

If you want to carb a KA do like Neil did and go with a KA from a Frontier or an Xterra. They're very similar to an L / Z series from Datsuns and are very easy to convert to carbs.

Oh, and good luck with the KA / 86 swap. The steering likes to interfere with the exhaust. There might be after market header by now to fix this issue. 

But you've got 8 posts and no display pic so I'm sure you'll never read this.

ever.

No you can't carb an S13/S14 KA without running a standalone igniton set up. Don't waste your time. Not worth it. Not even to be "different".

If you want to carb a KA do like Neil did and go with a KA from a Frontier or an Xterra. They're very similar to an L / Z series from Datsuns and are very easy to convert to carbs.

Not a total waste of time.  I love mine.  Throttle response is instantaneous, and the sound, oh the sound!

Well I just stumbled apon this..

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=551114

And the dizzy looks like the oil pump shaft was welded to the gear for the DE head and the intake manifold was just cut and welded with flanges. Soooo...would this dizzy mod work?? Sorry for being a buzzkill about this topic but other then that I was wondering about megajolt system but I want to keep it simple and less wires as possible.

NO i am not looking to buy his set up im just say look at what he did to the distributer.

WOuld it be possible to take the guts out of the KA distributer and put the L20b guts in the KA dist? im just trying to think of a way to do it. with out trying to fork over some more cash for another motor.

CAM02082_zpsaeadb789.jpg

CAM02078_zps53dd126f.jpg

CAM02079_zps3536349a.jpg

CAM02080_zpse66abf3a.jpg

CAM02081_zps9bfcafa1.jpg

• Like 2

NO i am not looking to buy his set up im just say look at what he did to the distributer.

WOuld it be possible to take the guts out of the KA distributer and put the L20b guts in the KA dist? im just trying to think of a way to do it. with out trying to fork over some more cash for another motor.

CAM02082_zpsaeadb789.jpg

CAM02078_zps53dd126f.jpg

CAM02079_zps3536349a.jpg

CAM02080_zpse66abf3a.jpg

CAM02081_zps9bfcafa1.jpg