1971 521 ni oil to top of motor

jeepdad

hi gang.

i have a problem. maybe someone can help. new oil new filter. second one to be exact. 50 pounds of oil pressure at idle. but for some reason i am not getting no oil to the camshaft and top end. i am confused.

any help would be greatlty appreciated

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know there's no oil to the camshaft? Did you look at the cam with the valve cover off? or just assume there is none from the maladjusted valve lash? This may not be the case but it's not the first time a problem has been chased that wasn't there.

How do you know the oil pressure is 50 PSI? 521's didn't have gauges. What are you using?

Did the other oil filter have oil in it???

Check the dip stick for correct oil level.

Remove the oil pressure sender from the side of the block between the dip stick and the oil filter. Pull coil wire off and crank the engine over. Oil should shoot out the hole so have rags ready.

This happened with a car I bought before. What had happened was the PO went crazy with RTV around the oil pump, and it sucked a little piece up and plugged the oil passage. I ended up pressurizing the system from the top-down(with the oil pump, sending unit, and filter off), and blowing all the debris out. As soon as all the junk was out, I had pressure to the top. If you have pressure down below, you almost have no choice but to have something plugging it.

How do you know there's no oil to the camshaft? Did you look at the cam with the valve cover off? or just assume there is none from the maladjusted valve lash? This may not be the case but it's not the first time a problem has been chased that wasn't there.

How do you know the oil pressure is 50 PSI? 521's didn't have gauges. What are you using?

Did the other oil filter have oil in it???

Check the dip stick for correct oil level.

Remove the oil pressure sender from the side of the block between the dip stick and the oil filter. Pull coil wire off and crank the engine over. Oil should shoot out the hole so have rags ready.

i have a set of mechanical guages in it and i have removed to valve cover and there is no oil in the top end, oil level is correct. thanx

This happened with a car I bought before. What had happened was the PO went crazy with RTV around the oil pump, and it sucked a little piece up and plugged the oil passage. I ended up pressurizing the system from the top-down(with the oil pump, sending unit, and filter off), and blowing all the debris out. As soon as all the junk was out, I had pressure to the top. If you have pressure down below, you almost have no choice but to have something plugging it.

that has been my thoughts on it too. i am gonna pull the camshaft and blow ait back through the main galley.

it is gonna need a new motor soon. just trying to keep the truck going for the boy so he can get back and forth to school till next summer when we can put another motor in it. 3 motor in 20 years. lol