410 Front brakes and electrical problem (help)

pl521sss

Hello folks

I got my 410 now running but with problems.

It's 1964 410 wagon with E1 motor and all around drum brakes.

Right front wheel locks up without pressing on the brakes.

Lifted the front and rotated counter clockwise then clockwise to allow it move freely again.

But it will lock up again. I've forced it to move forward and it will free up somehow.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for info.

Will get more pics when I get a better angle on the car.

Are the 320 \ 521 \ 620 brake hoses similar to the front brake hose?

20141208_230018_zps77b36b40.jpg

If you need new brake shoes. I was told about Porterfield enterprises in Socal. They reline your existing shoes, their specialty is vintage race cars and they do excellent work and are very professional. Good luck and PICS!!!!

64 wagon is a rare gem.

Drums on the front are a bit spooky. They are more prone to locking up and require constant adjustment. Why not pursue a front disc conversion and put your mind at ease.    Could it be wheel bearing related? 

Sorry no help on the brake lines, you could call around and have some made up locally for a fair price. Look up a local hydraulic supply/ repair business.

Maybe now you have something to ask Santa for, and because its a life or death scenario, he may cut you some slack in the naughty or nice department.

Mikes hypothesis sounds logical.

I started servicing the front brakes.

The spring looks impossible to stretch so I used the thinner spring just for now.

Darn thing is 2.5mm thick.

Not even sure if it's the factory spring.

But not sure still whats causing it to grab once in awhile.

My biggest problem now is sourcing the brake hose.

20141205_074052_zps16425235.jpg

This just started happening ?

Have you replaced anything lately?

Take drum off. A spring or part may have fallen off and is acting like a sprague clutch

I reached out to a Ratsun member to see if he can make a replacement hose.

He also sells the clutch hose kit.

Hopefully he can help out.

Drums on the front are a bit spooky. They are more prone to locking up and require constant adjustment. Why not pursue a front disc conversion and put your mind at ease.    Could it be wheel bearing related? 

Sorry no help on the brake lines, you could call around and have some made up locally for a fair price. Look up a local hydraulic supply/ repair business.

Maybe now you have something to ask Santa for, and because its a life or death scenario, he may cut you some slack in the naughty or nice department.

Mikes hypothesis sounds logical.

They make a special multiple tool for working on drum brakes, I believe one end is a spring hook for just this type of application. You should have one of these in your life.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w175?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAiA2JqkBRDshIOY_9eMghkSJABvNd1QaHAMR7kOFaXOB7gBszBBgLXqLAHjz2rFblWaBFB1PxoC3f7w_wcB

There was a time when every parts store had these! Then the world discovered disc brakes.

Hey 521sss just wanted let you I racked my brain trying to get the drum setup working on my 411s but all I did was waste my time. Parts are near impossible to find and when you do get them they are way too much. I was really nervous at 1st but the conversion is super easy There was no major or serious mods to be made. here is the link

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49846-mklotz-411-disc-brake-conversion-project/

I have successfully done 2 cars and they were a breeze to do.  You should still be able to get a kit from Mklotz. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your feedback.

I actually have one of the first kit that Mike made.

I sent him parts as proto type.

I opted on rebuilding the drum brakes for now till I'm ready for disc upgrade.

Was fortunate enough that I hoarded a lot of parts early before prices went up.

Here it is now with all new wheel cylinders.

Waiting for new hoses.

20141209_134254_zps66fada96.jpg

Hey 521sss just wanted let you I racked my brain trying to get the drum setup working on my 411s but all I did was waste my time. Parts are near impossible to find and when you do get them they are way too much. I was really nervous at 1st but the conversion is super easy There was no major or serious mods to be made. here is the link

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/49846-mklotz-411-disc-brake-conversion-project/

I have successfully done 2 cars and they were a breeze to do.  You should still be able to get a kit from Mklotz. Hope that helps.

• 5 weeks later...