My Beige Build

stu

when my alternator went bad, it cooked my battery.  it started putting out 18-19v then all of a sudden the truck was idling high, and i could hear the relay buzzing.  also, when warming up the truck i'd get this white cloud come out of the tailpipe.  all that $h!t cleared up when i replaced the alternator.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 Volts will SO cook a battery.  You should have pulled out the field plug the minute you saw that ( Its the plug in the alt w/ the small wires).  Then it supercharged your fuel pump, so the high pressure blew out the float needle in the carb and it just started overflowing gas into the intake.  White cloud was unburnt gas.

The reason you lost your idiot lights is low voltage.

They were nick named "idiot lights" years ago when the car manufacturers started replacing gauges with lights.  The lights only indicated problems after the problem occurred.  Damage was already done as in no oil pressure light comes on.  The sensors in the newer cars are designed to come on sooner than the early sensors. 

With a gauge you have a better warning system as in the oil pressure gauge.  If you pay attention to it you should be able to tell when you are low on oil.