How many sheets of OSB can I put in a 320?

KFunk740

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I regularly haul a ton of wood pellets in a 521.  

LowRider_zps209209e8.jpg

BedofPellets_zpsb4a2127e.jpg

How far do you need to travel with the load?  How fast?  When was the last time you adjusted the brakes?  Will you be driving during a busy time of day, when a quick evasive manoeuvre may be more likely necessary?

How close to stock is your 320?  Is it lowered?

• Like 1

All metal is solid and should be stock and everything in good shape.  Brakes are OK.  Powered by J13, so just a bit more than stock.  Got around 20 miles to go, can go either highway or backroad.  Rarely ever any traffic.

Normally I'd just load it up till the springs look flat and/or stuff starts to spill out, like when I get firewood (load it as full as it'll go with oak).  But, I have to pay for the boards before I drive into the lumberyard to pick them up, and I don't have time for very many trips.  Salt/snow is coming soon. 

I'll probably get the three 1/2" boards and 10 7/16" tomorrow, and the remaining dozen on Thursday or Friday.  I also wasn't sure how high you can stack them before they clide around too much, if that even happens at all.

Thanks y'all. 

• Like 1

I do not recall how nice your truck is, normally I would just load my truck up till it was full, tie it down using the hooks on the bed, and drive home normal/slow.

I loaded my work truck up with 3000lbs of roofing, but it is a dually, and I am crazy, it took 2 trips to get the 3 tons of roofing home, when I stripped my roof, the land fill scales showed me at 7200lbs, that was almost 3800lbs on the back of that truck, it took a while to unload it, it's kinda funny, the gals at the scales didn't even blink.

• Like 1

This is stupid, but I have done it several times.

DSCN0393.JPG

2000lbs in the truck, 2000lbs in the trailer

DSCN0876.JPG

The only thing you likely have to worry about is if you think the axle will handle the load for 20 miles, I have loaded over 3000lbs on a single axle before, loaded another 3000lbs in the trailer, and drove 150 miles without any issues other than not having any brakes over 30mph, I have never done that since, and never will, I almost started throwing wood in the ditch, but was afraid I would get caught and get in trouble, so I drove it home.

These H190 axles/rearends are tough, but that doesn't mean a bearing will not go out, but I would load it all in one trip, if it's less than a ton, that would seem like no big deal for a Datsun truck.

• Like 3

It's good to live in the country with cheap property values.

Mrhpnsl.jpg

xYdXig8.jpg

There's a Miata hiding behind the 320, and a workshop to the right of the Subaru.  I've now got Roxul insulation up on that left wall with board over it.  I also shifted the BMW and 320 back a little to fit the green beater Subaru in front of them in winter, and the wife has a newer Outback on her side. 

• Like 3

Shit! Can I store some of my stuff in there? I've got what is called a two car garage, but I can barely get my 510 in there. :rofl:

I get real good sourdough bread though, so I guess it all works out in the end. 

• Like 1

Maybe in the East Bay lumberyards don't just randomly change their closing time from 6pm to 5pm, too.  Doh, no OSB today for me.  Hopefully another day.....

Oh, and don't store your 510 anywhere near my 2002.  They might chase each other around all night.

• Like 1

It's good to live in the country with cheap property values.

Mrhpnsl.jpg

xYdXig8.jpg

There's a Miata hiding behind the 320, and a workshop to the right of the Subaru.  I've now got Roxul insulation up on that left wall with board over it.  I also shifted the BMW and 320 back a little to fit the green beater Subaru in front of them in winter, and the wife has a newer Outback on her side. 

Damn, what a nice place. Plenty of elbow room, lots of trees, and one helluva toybox. Right in the front yard.

• Like 1

Hah, it's not too pretty yet.  I suppose I'll have to get some progress pics though as it comes along.  I've looked some on GarageJournal for ideas, but don't think I'm ready to go as extreme as most of those guys.  Right now I just need it warmer in winter and with better lighting.  Once I get the walls and ceiling painted white, then visibility will be much better.

It's just been a side project for when there's spare cash and time.  We just got done painting the outside of the house on Veteran's day, so painting supplies are everywhere in the workshop.  The house used to be bright blue, for reasons unknown. 

• Like 1

No luck on OSB Saturday even.  I checked hours online (7:30am to 4pm), called twice and nobody answered.  Loaded up trash and recycling and hauled it out, got lunch on way back, got to lumberyard at 12:30pm, and already closed at noon.  Ah well, another day hopefully.

Should I really make a blog thread somewhere? Perhaps the 'Non Datsun cars and projects' section here?

I normally don't do blogs, but I'm not real knowledgeable about home improvements yet, and some tips could be good.  

Here's the walls I've insulated/covered so far (R23 Roxul):

HhAbG45.jpg

Here's the workshop:

8oZLMMd.jpg

I just did a quick tidying up and shoveled out most of the painting supplies.  I've got a long way to go to get things right.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I ended up making two trips, and I'm glad of it.  It wasn't really an issue of weight, but I don't think you physically can't fit that many sheets without standing them up and/or laying the tailgate down, which makes it more complicated to tie them down and get them home.  

If you lay them in flat sitting across the wheel wells and the tailgate, then at the front they can't sit at the very bottom.  With 14 in there they were nearer to the top of the front of the bed than I would've expected.  19 or 20 is probably the most you could do while keeping them held firmly in place without taking extra measures.   

• Like 1

With all that snow and now a fully insulated garage, all you need is a small woodburning stove and for Wayno to make one delivery of firewood to you and you'll be set tip the snow melts.

Factory Datsun load-bearing limits -m and the laws of physics - do not apply to Wayno, or Chuck Norris.

That's it! Wayno must BE Chuck Norris. The Chuck Norris of Ratsun.

No job too tough….

• Like 2

I regularly haul a ton of wood pellets in a 521.  

Last spring, we were dolling up our home to sell, and so I refreshed a garden path we had with a half yard of crushed rock.  As the guy was tipping the bucket into the bed of my 520, I asked about weight (I suppose I should have thought about that question a little sooner)... he said he did a 'before' weigh and would have a total when he was done... he was guessing about 1000#.  After he was done, he hit the scale again and... 1760# !!!  Add a couple hundred for me and we almost doubled the 2160# truck weight. I'm glad I didn't break a spring on the way home.  The truck actually did just fine, and I quickly shoveled out every last pebble and spread it into the yard.  Next time, I'll ask first.

• Like 1

rock ads up fast 6 feet by 12 feet by 16 inches thisc is over 10.000 LBS but the dump trailer still has lots of room

every 55 square feet 4 inches thick is one ton or 2000 LBS

• Like 1