Wheel Spacers

AZGhost623

I am going to be purchasing these Marugen Shoakai Works fenders from RHDJAPAN.com within the next few weeks. How big of a wheel spacer do I need to fill it out? I am thinking 1-2" off the top of my head (anyone have a source for quality spacers?). I run 225/55/16 on 16x8 wheels now, and its already outside of the fender by about .75" or so.... Eventually Ill get Work Meister CR01 wheels made to properly fit, but until $2500 is burning a hole in my pocket, that wont be any time soon (next year).

Thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How would anyone know that with so little to go on? actually nothing to go on.

If the current tire is outside the fender, what happens on a sudden dip in the road? Does the body come down on the tires? With the proper positive rim offset, the wheel can be moved inward and the tire tucked under the fender. The limit is if the rim and tire are too wide and it impacts the inner fender, suspension or steering.

Never never never buy rims that don't fit!!!!!! Find out what fits your Z and buy them in that range.  What makes you think you need a spacer which can only move them outward??? And a 2" spacer is ludicrous.  Spacers are more for off road trucks where there is no fender clearance issues. Any car spacer at all says you haven't done enough homework on your rim choice.

Here is some info from http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-wheels-tires/85904-offset-backspace-how-do-they-relate.html a truck forum.

Offset & Backspace - How Do They Relate?

Offset and backspace are essentially two different ways of looking at the same thing. They determine the location of the wheel and tire assembly when bolted to the vehicles hub. (how far in - tucked, or how far out they will sit)

Offset is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the wheels center line.
With X being the determined offset, the hub mounting surface on positive offset wheels is X amount forward from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on negative offset wheels is X amount backwards from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on 0 offset wheels is the wheel center line.
Backspacing is the measurement from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel.

backspace_offset.jpg

Typically speaking, the higher the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will tuck inwards towards the suspension or away from the fender. The lower the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will push out away from the suspension or towards the fender.
For Example:

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is +12mm, the hub mounting surface will be 12mm forward from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 5.5"

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is -12mm, the hub mounting surface would be 12mm towards the back of the wheel from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 4.5"

Here's how to calculate the backspacing using the rim width and offset:

First - add 1" to the rim width and then divide by 2 to find the wheels center line (you have to account for the wheel flange which is why you add 1" to the rim width) . Second - convert the offset which is in millimeters into inches. There is 25.4mm in 1 inch so divide the offset by 25.4. Lastly - add the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is positive for the correct backspacing. Subtract the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is negative for the correct backspacing.
For Example:

17x9 +12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"
*10"/2 = 5" (wheels center line)
*+12mm offset/25.4 = 0.47" (0.50" rounded up)
*0.50" + 5" = 5.50" Backspace

17x9 -12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"
*-12mm offset/25.4 = 0.47" (0.50" rounded up)
*0.50" - 5" = 4.50" Backspace

***Please note that the wheels center line is the backspacing for 0 offset wheels.

I hope this helps.

-Matt

How would anyone know that with so little to go on? actually nothing to go on.

If the current tire is outside the fender, what happens on a sudden dip in the road? Does the body come down on the tires? With the proper negative rim offset, the wheel can be moved inward and the tire tucked under the fender. The limit is if the rim and tire are too wide and it impacts the inner fender, suspension or steering.

Never never never buy rims that don't fit!!!!!! Find out what fits your Z and buy them in that range.  What makes you think you need a spacer which can only move them outward??? And a 2" spacer is ludicrous.  Spacers are more for off road trucks where there is no fender clearance issues. Any car spacer at all says you haven't done enough homework on your rim choice.

Here is some info from http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-wheels-tires/85904-offset-backspace-how-do-they-relate.html a truck forum.

Offset & Backspace - How Do They Relate?

Offset and backspace are essentially two different ways of looking at the same thing. They determine the location of the wheel and tire assembly when bolted to the vehicles hub. (how far in - tucked, or how far out they will sit)

Offset is the measured distance between the hub mounting surface and the wheels center line.

With X being the determined offset, the hub mounting surface on positive offset wheels is X amount forward from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on negative offset wheels is X amount backwards from the wheel center line. The hub mounting surface on 0 offset wheels is the wheel center line.

Backspacing is the measurement from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel.

backspace_offset.jpg

Typically speaking, the higher the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will tuck inwards towards the suspension or away from the fender. The lower the offset/backspace, the more the wheel will push out away from the suspension or towards the fender.

For Example:

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is +12mm, the hub mounting surface will be 12mm forward from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 5.5"

*If the offset on a 9" wide wheel is -12mm, the hub mounting surface would be 12mm towards the back of the wheel from the wheels center line. Measuring from the hub mounting surface to the back edge of the wheel, the backspacing is 4.5"

Here's how to calculate the backspacing using the rim width and offset:

First - add 1" to the rim width and then divide by 2 to find the wheels center line (you have to account for the wheel flange which is why you add 1" to the rim width) . Second - convert the offset which is in millimeters into inches. There is 25.4mm in 1 inch so divide the offset by 25.4. Lastly - add the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is positive for the correct backspacing. Subtract the converted offset to the wheels center line if the offset is negative for the correct backspacing.

For Example:

17x9 +12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

*+12mm offset/25.4 = 0.47" (0.50" rounded up)

*0.50" + 5" = 5.50" Backspace

17x9 -12mm offset

*9" rim width + 1" = 10"

*-12mm offset/25.4 = 0.47" (0.50" rounded up)

*0.50" - 5" = 4.50" Backspace

***Please note that the wheels center line is the backspacing for 0 offset wheels.

I hope this helps.

-Matt

That's way too much info for a Z car hipster Mike. I'm not really sure what he means by these??? I'm guessing it's a set of wheels.

I see this every week. Someone gets a hard on for a set of mad looking rims and want them for their ride, but give almost no thought to what is really needed to get them to fit properly. Just like that pretty thing down the road. Love at first sight... and only later find out her (Jewish, Irish, Catholic, Mennonite, Amish, Muslim or whatever) parents don't like you nor your parents like them and there's a shit load of trouble with the match. Marry within your species. Figure out what will work then go looking.

16 X 8" is totally meaningless unless buying tires. A 225/55R16 tire is roughly 25.75" tall and 8.86" at the widest or about one inch taller and wider than stock. The stock 280z tire is 195/70R14 and 24.78" tall and 7.7" wide. One inch wider should fit as only 1/2" in and outward. Being 0.75 outside the fender says the rim is way wrong.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/rims Wheels and Tires, says coming soon

I think you guys mis-understood my post, partly on my part....

The tires dont rub yet on the fenders, but Im sure they potentially could. My suspension is pretty dang stiff since its brand new. I dont hit "dips" as you will, but after the long 400 mile ride this weekend, I definately got some rubbing on my front inner air dam, which is easy enough to fix with some trimming.. What Im asking about is actually fixing this. I want to use WORKS flares on the car and then make sure the wheels are properly tucked under. In order to do this, I need to knows how deep the marugen shoakai works flares are so I can properly tuck the wheel under.

Image of my ride.

http://imgur.com/Pp9OIKF

http://i.imgur.com/zBs4DEc.jpg

What Im trying to accomplish:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/caffeinetx/15211100058/

Hopefully that clears things up on what Im asking about.