92 Hardbody 4X4 cleanup / build / desert patrol !

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate to rain on the parade, I'm betting you won't find anything good when you open up the engine.  I bought my '93 with a dead motor.  92-93 had bad problems with oiling issues and timing chain rattles.  A lot of them lunched from the factory.  What happened was the sand casting had leftovers that lodged in the oil galleys and that screwed thing up rather quickly.  I'd say look for a good used motor from a 94 and up truck.  Or a 90-91 truck.  Or, you could put the dohc in from a Frontier if you could find that cheap enough.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Allright the deal on the motor is this. The genius who last had the head off didnt tighten any pf the bolts that hold the rocker arm assemblys in place. Most of them worked loose & bent a few parts so pretty much that head is scrap..Im  having them put on a used head they had in storage & leaving the block alone due to $ being tight. This truck only had to last the summer but i feel it'll be ok as a DD by just replacing the head. Verified it has a new clutch & timing chain while it's apart.

• Like 2