92 Hardbody 4X4 cleanup / build / desert patrol !

Ok for the last few weeks ive had my eye on this truck for sale a few blocks from my job. Well today it arrived @ my house via trailer & now the fun begins. It's a 92 Hardbody 4x4 with 179,000 miles, A-C, new starter, pistons, radiator, tires & custom rims. She runs fair & hesitates a bit on takeoff but if you get on it the power is there. Ill start with a basic tune up & set the timing & go from there. It is extremely not clean & will need lots of hot water & Simple green & the wet vac to get it clean. Ill post these before pics & more as it progresses...

2sb29t2.jpg

25a24hy.jpg

hu20s0.jpg

2nbt5as.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TY guys. No rust on the body or frame. Its been painted at least once the same color grey & other than the DS bed the body isnt bad. Removed the seat & carpet & did an initial interior cleanup...oh boy ! Ill be running bucket seats & wont be putting carpet back in it.

• Like 1

Heres a before pic of the interior. I have the seat & what was left of the carpet out...it will be shitcanned & the seat rails will be cut off & welded to bucket seats in time...

28sosxz.jpg

Ill need a new downpipe..this one has a long crack & the 2 risers that go into the manifold are worn. Also 1 of the manifold bolts broke off & i may weld a new stud to it & call it good..

2icbeo2.jpg

theres no cat in place & ill ditch the quiet muffler & run a straight pipe to a Flowmaster resonator & the end...

2qwjubb.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah the interior will be a process to get it clean. The seller lost the key the day before i bought it so...i removed the PS door lock & had one made but it wont turn the ignition. Today i got the ignition switch off the collum & it was a hassle but my lock & key guy will take apart & "make" the new key fit the ignition.

Yeah the interior will be a process to get it clean. The seller lost the key the day before i bought it so...i removed the PS door lock & had one made but it wont turn the ignition. Today i got the ignition switch off the collum & it was a hassle but my lock & key guy will take apart & "make" the new key fit the ignition.

Sounds like you are having the same new vehicle problems I am.. More things are wrong then are suppose to be. 

Kool vid ! Hell...ill be happy cruising the local trails. Tires are new so theyre staying. & it looks to me that the front has too much negative camber...hope the ball joints arent worn. I was thinking to crank the torsions up a bit to level it out a bit.

• Like 2

That muffler looks like it's still good to me.

Thats a huge negative my friend..it's too quiet ! My trademark on ALL of my trucks is a loud exhaust & that it will be.

Today was lots of baby steps seeing as im still waiting for my ignition switch / key to be done.

I removed what was left of the viynl & foam on the door panel tops & got those painted...

2rpwo79.jpg

used SEM color coat paint on a few of the int. pieces...

156pils.jpg

& put my new bumper lights in plus started making a new grill that will be Ratsun style !!

54ggsy.jpg

• Like 2

Haha I was going to say the same thing whats wrong with it is its too quiet! I need to replace my timing chain before I get a louder exhaust though need to keep my ear open on the engine noises. 

Looks like you are making progress! Can't wait to see the grill you are gonna make for it. 

• Like 1

Today was a huge junkyard day ! I bought a new downpipe & a pair of very clean 94 Honda Prelude bucket seats ! Now i can get the exhaust put back together & get her tuned up. Ill have to make some brackets for the seats but thats easy..just time consuming. Pics soon !

• Like 2

Ok good update- I made some basic brackets & got the Prelude seats installed. They fully function & recline just enough so Im not sitting too upright...

rap9aa.jpg

Crappy update- the downpipe i bought came off a 2wd & it is bent differently than the 4wd one. Sooo....it rests against the tranny & the front driveshaft is kinda in the way. I tried to mock up a few ways to make it work & at this point it'll be easier to buy a Header & shitcan the stock stuff. It NEVER ends !

• Like 1

Allright ! The exhaust is shaping up slowly & it sux not having a tubing bender but...should be wrapped up in a few days.

& although i wasnt going to do much other than a major cleanup i went a little nuts on the dash :blush:

I did NOT want to look at a faded brown dash so...

3313xip.jpg

It worked out as I was able to vaccum the dust & crap out from behind the parts i removed. The top half will be done another day & or ill toss a dash cover on it. & my rebuilt ignition is done so thatll get put back on hopefully tomorrow.

I also removed [for now] the 500 LB bumper & the space saver tire that had been melted due to a broken exhaust bracket...

316t3xd.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good man! Those seats look good. 

Hey thanks. I forgot to mention that on the inner tracks all i had to do is bend them up a bit & they lined up perfectly with the threaded bolt on the stock floor seat mount !

Im now making a new lower collar that goes under the ignition & im using Nissan fine thread bolts to secure it in place.

• Like 1

Ok the truck is in the driveway now. I removed the exhaust manifold & welded a bolt to the broken stud..painted a few more int. pieces & cleaned up the wiring that was zip tied to the bumper [big mess]. Also mounted the rear plate & started wire brushing the dirt / mud off the frame.

• Like 2

Hope that fixes it man.. my truck is getting me broke fast haha. 

Understood. Luckily im only into mine time wise so far. I finished the exhaust today including the braces & it sounds just as i want it to ! Ill visit the dealer Tuesday to get the metal downpipe gaskets & a new ex. manifold stud.

o5rxqr.jpg

& im using brush on paint stripper to remove whats left of the rims clear coat. They will then get a quick wet sand & polish...

ou840l.jpg

• Like 3