'cuz racecar! 1969 Datsun 510 2dr

carterb

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy... Strength is relative to the materials used. DOM is stronger therefore can be thinner in the same application. Some will argue that actually psi specs are similar between ERW and DOM in the same wall thickness but I use an manual bender and am here to tell you they are most definitely different if bend strength ;)

But if your looking for an NHRA approved cage, it will be required to have a minimum wall thickness of .120 and with a tolerance scope of +.002/-.004 with DOM, the cage could fail a sonic test at the outer stretched portion of the bend. .134 tube guarantees compliance even with the potential to stretch. That being said, if this is mostly for personal use, then .120 DOM will provide plenty of protection and save weight (assuming the cage is built and triangulated properly)

• 2 months later...

Obviously, there will be a lot of welding to do on this project...

Just before new years, I made a trip to Central Welding Supply.

12312014_miller_211_2_.JPG

And picked up a new Miller 211 Autoset welder - with rebate form!

12312014_miller_211_1_.JPG

I haven't welded anything in the last 20 years and I've never used a MIG welder so I will have some learning to do.

I grabbed some scrap steel, cut it into four parts, and welded them into a little frame, just to make sure everything works.

02022015_weld_test.JPG

Fun days ahead!

Along with all the rust repair, I have some outright panel replacement to do!  Fortunately for all of us, Dave from Futofab is working hard to keep these cars on the road.  I ordered a tail panel and it looks great!

01012015_510_tail_panel_1_.JPG

01012015_510_tail_panel_2_.JPG

01012015_510_tail_panel_3_.JPG

Now if I would just get out in the garage and get my VG wagon done so I can start putting this car together...

In addition to some metal repair, this car will need some parts.  I contacted a guy down in Auburn that had some sheet metal last Summer.  He didn't have much left, and was having trouble getting rid of his leftover bits and bobs, so I gave his collection a new home to help get this car back on the road as well as a number of yours.

11222014_datsun_parts_1_.JPG

11222014_datsun_parts_2_.JPG

11222014_datsun_parts_3_.JPG

I think a proper storage shed is long overdue...

Please, take lots of pictures of that panel replacement. I am super interested on how this process goes. I'm sure many others are too.

I've got a general idea, but I want to see it play out in pictures.

While I can't guarantee speedy progress, I can certainly guarantee there will be photos.

Speaking of, I bought the Mexican 510 tail light repops from ebay.

They are definitely not factory but WAY better than the Argentinian wagon tail light lenses - those are a complete JOKE!

They come wrapped in Japanese newspaper?

01202015_mexican_tail_light_lenses_2_.JP

01202015_mexican_tail_light_lenses_3_.JP

Good enough for a race car for sure!

01202015_mexican_tail_light_lenses_4_.JP

01202015_mexican_tail_light_lenses_5_.JP

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

The Race Car hasn't gotten any closer to the prime spot in my garage but I have been collecting more parts over the year.

Race seats from Icehouse and a harness from another 510 friend.

12192015_racecar_parts_1_.JPG

Scored a NIB wink mirror from a Chump Car racer at work

12192015_racecar_parts_5_.JPG

I've been on the look out for a set of dual carbs all year and was trying REALLY HARD not to hit "buy it now" on the new $1,300 kit on ebay when all of the sudden, this popped up in the Ratsun classifieds!

12152015_racecar_motor.JPG

LZ22, 5spd, dual webers, electronic ignition, everything under the hood for cheap!  :frantics:

Drove up to Marrysville last weekend to meet a very nice guy with a "new" 510 he bought from the Monroe area a few months ago.

He is building a KA turbo drive train so needed this gone and cash to by a transmission. 

12202015_racecar_motor_1_.JPG

Got it home safely and rearranged some stuff in the shop to make room for the engine hoist so I could get it down on a dolly.

12202015_racecar_motor_2_.JPG

12202015_racecar_motor_3_.JPG

Must have an oil spray bar.  Supposedly has a Racer Brown cam.

12202015_racecar_motor_4_.JPG

Custom oil pan.

12202015_racecar_motor_5_.JPG

12202015_racecar_motor_6_.JPG

where are the numbers on a Z22 block again?

12202015_racecar_motor_7_.JPG

12202015_racecar_motor_8_.JPG

12202015_racecar_motor_9_.JPG

I believe these are 40's.  Are they too small for an LZ22?  I ran an LZ22 with 38mm SU's for years and it was just fine as a cruiser anyway.

12202015_racecar_motor_10_.JPG

• Like 1