Turbo L16 draw thru setup without a seal carbon turbo

Tunemanskos0195

Hi friends!

In another post (A10 U-nite), I posted some pics of my 1979 Datsun Violet SSS, showing a blow-thru setup in my engine. I'm using an MHI TD04 for these project.

Uh... The system that I'm use, collapsed a few days ago. Carbs and engine aren't damaged. Whatever, I'm planning convert my setup into a draw-through system using this "stock" turbo and the SU stock carb (one carb only). I am not considering to use an EFI system because costs are too higher.

Experts, help me please! If the turbo don't have a carbon seal, how much time the thing can resist?

(Sorry for my English, again haha)

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. As you are doing it anyway, just do it and see. When the turbo is well spooled up and you let off the gas the throttle closes but the turbo keeps sucking as it slows down and will produce an extreme vacuum in the intake. Oil can get sucked past the seal.

Make sure the SU runs VERY rich at high speed under boost.

As you will be drawing fuel through the turbo you really should replace the intake turbine bearing with a sealed bearing. Without it fuel will can get into oil and your turbo will fry. Check out the510realm.com and look for a thread by okfine. I think it's called Whitebird. He documented his attempt with a draw through setup on his 510 Coupe and gives all the information you'll need to replace the bearing and much more. You may also want to look up Smoke here on ratsun. He's done many non EFI turbo setups and really knows his shit.

Best of luck