9" wide wheels, without flares - stanced 510s

arabian_ryda

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FrontRim.jpg

My son had the 16x7 +25 with Maxima front struts assemblies, pictured above.  The rim hit on the steering linkage with the 280ZX struts set up.  All of the set ups I had with my rims are without spacers!  I hate having them on a car, they make me nervous on safety issues. We had the 16x8 +19 offset, 225x40 on the rear of his car and they fit perfect.  With the 16x8 +15, I did have to do a small amount of inner fender modifications to get the tires to not rub when hitting bumps on my rear set up.  You can get away with the 16x8 +15, with some chamber and right tire and not get much rub, if at all.  I just made sure of no tire rub no matter what alignment or tire brand.  In the car above with my rims, my son drove it to JCCS with only slight rub on bumps.  We didn't care because the tires are a 45 series and I'm wasn't going to use them, they just came with them on when purchased.

SSS510, you see I have the center caps for them? :w00t:

Super awesome :thumbup:  I have center caps to!

http://s780.photobucket.com/user/dven007/media/photo1-1.jpg.html

SSS510, I didn't see the Wantanabe wheel Caps or yours?

Do you have them?

Here is a picture of the Watanabe wheel caps for the old school rims.  You can get the center caps for the new one piece RS-8, but they are a smaller diameter hole in the rim, and wont fit the older rims. I got 3 NOS sets from the factory in Japan like 5 years ago.  You maybe able to still get a set from them, but they aren't cheap.  I sold the car below with the caps.  So, I know there is a set rolling around NorCal area, with the current owner of this car.  I have a set for my current rims on my car.  I have never seen any others.
P1010438.jpg

• Like 1

SSS510, I didn't see the Wantanabe wheel Caps or yours?

Do you have them?

Here is a picture of the Watanabe wheel caps for the old school rims.  You can get the center caps for the new one piece RS-8, but they are a smaller diameter hole in the rim, and wont fit the older rims. I got 3 NOS sets from the factory in Japan like 5 years ago.  You maybe able to still get a set from them, but they aren't cheap.  I sold the car below with the caps.  So, I know there is a set rolling around NorCal area, with the current owner of this car.  I have a set for my current rims on my car.  I have never seen any others.

P1010438.jpg

yes I have a set. not on the wheels yet as the car is still in the build process. Once it's finished caps will go on.

If you ever lose one, let me know.

I had to use a cap from my extra set, leaving me with 3 spares.  My wife hit a deep pot hole on the 60 freeway just before we sold the above car, and had to use one from my spare set.  Its also why I bought an extra set.

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another tip.... Make the rims fit the car NOT the car fit the rims.

Serious advise here. Gets old seeing people butcher cars just to fit a set of wheels. Worst of all is that your 510 will never have enough power to warrant 9 inch wide wheels. I have a VG34E and my 8 inch wheels are more than enough. There's plenty of options out there for nice looking wheels without cutting up the car.

• Like 2

I heartily agree. Function above form.... always.

I may have mentioned this earlier, can't be bothered checking. Run smaller width tires on the front. They are less likely to rub on turns, and easier to turn, but best of all they form an optical illusion. Six inch on the fronts will make eight inch on the backs look way wider than the really are.

I disagree... A lot of classic Japanese style revolves around wide wheels regardless of the power plant. If fitted properly, I find that that the work can be clean and still represent the individualism of the owner/builder without "butchering" the car. We cant all run 6.5j wheels and expect our project to stand out ;)

These old cars didn't come with wide tires and rims back in the day so not at all a 'classic style'. Even in North America owners didn't fit big rims and tires on them. Japanese old car enthusiasts might prefer them as a style today, on their old classics (as we do) but it has to be well done.

This is ridiculous but well done.... (presumably it has the power to almost need them) They detract from the overall elegance of the car by being too big, too noticeable, and too gauche. Sadly, if this were a woman with breast implants, she would be saying "I would have gone bigger if I could"

rsusp10.jpg

Most of the kyusha style wheels we celebrate today were made and developed in the late 70's, early 80's especially the ultra wide negative offset variety. While it wasn't classic in a oem/factory sense, it is very much part of the aftermarket Japanese heritage. Like you, I do not like the drag racer style of the car above but wide wheels done right are still appealing regardless.

• Like 1

Most of the kyusha style wheels we celebrate today were made and developed in the late 70's, early 80's especially the ultra wide negative offset variety. While it wasn't classic in a oem/factory sense, it is very much part of the aftermarket Japanese heritage. Like you, I do not like the drag racer style of the car above but wide wheels done right are still appealing regardless.

Yes yellow car is more on the excessive straight line 'drag race look'... more concerned with the biggest engine with the largest tires with the car's handling and body make or style unimportant other than lightness. There was no such thing as a dragster 510 but there were race car 510s worth copying their style for the street. Sensible tires, lower, modified suspension and brakes and even a more powerful motor that actually fits.

In the end, it comes down to personal opinion. I find beauty in many styles celebrated by these cars and their owners. I'm not trying to sway your prospective or any other... Just defending creativity.

Absolutely yes and like I said about the above yellow car. Well done... just ridiculous.

im just itching to test fit these wheels so I can prove all the non believers what use young guys can do. lol I feel like everyone in this thread is so old school. my dad was telling me the same points as all of you.

but I wont be butchering up the car to make them fit. the body lines are what made me fall in love with the 510s. if there is a fitment issue I will go with a less aggressive size.

and one last point. im going to be running a fully forged sr20 engine and a gt3071r so I need as much rims and tire as possible in the rear. flares are out of the question.

i don't have an adjustable rear x member.... not yet lol

from what i understand you where having issues with the inner rim hitting the shock, and control arm correct? that was with +15. the wheels i have are 0 offset. but looking at your pictures the outer rim looks pretty close to the fender lip or is there some room still available on the outer side? hard to tell from the photos. you have any close up shot of the rim/fender?

It was really close to the fender lip, but nothing rubbed there ... it was the inside rim lip hitting the inner shock tower/wheel well area, and the control arms

I maybe could have fit a 10mm spacer, if I cut out the 4dr "bump" and smoothed it like a 2dr is .. it's going to be super close with zero offset. Can you mount the rims, without tires, and check the fitment/travel without springs? I bet you're going to need at least a 215/40 or 205/45, and never lower it past the tuck/poke look.

im just itching to test fit these wheels so I can prove all the non believers what use young guys can do. lol I feel like everyone in this thread is so old school. my dad was telling me the same points as all of you.

but I wont be butchering up the car to make them fit. the body lines are what made me fall in love with the 510s. if there is a fitment issue I will go with a less aggressive size.

and one last point. im going to be running a fully forged sr20 engine and a gt3071r so I need as much rims and tire as possible in the rear. flares are out of the question.

I'm only concerned with the car, couldn't care any less about the rims or the look. Please, no mad camber 'yo.. and you don't need 9" just because you're going to run an SR. 

Zero offset with an 8 inch rim would rub, a 9 inch will for sure.  The zero offset gets you away from the rear control arm and shock, but moves you out towards the fender more.

I have 16x8, +15 offset with 225 x 40, no spacer, and had to mod the inner fender to rid the rub at top of the travel.  I could have just let them rub the few times they bottomed out, but I don't like putting additional non-designed heat and abrupt shock on a tire that may see 100+ mph with me in the car.  Then again, I'm a responsible adult who thinks about my safety and safety of others. Same safety concerns with stretching a tire well passed the tire manufactures recommendations.  They don't put the limits on the tire to fit a certain rim because it can't be put on a rim, it puts the tire design in a premature failure condition and unsafe.  Your mind set is, hey I can get it on the rim, its good to go, see you non believers, I did it.  Roll the dice, seems to be your attitude, after all Insha'Allah, right?

Maybe your Dad knows something, but kids just don't listen.  Mine burned down his newly painted 510, not listening to me, burned it down to the ground same day I warned him.

You come on the forum as a newbie asking for advise, then criticize the members taking the time an effort to help by calling them "Non Believers", and no longer have creative minds because some are older.  You don't think a member on here before you hasn't tried doing what you are trying to do?

Now you might be able to stretch a 185 x 40, bend the crap out of the body, to get the tire under the body, and say you did it.  Would it be safe?  Would it be practical to drive more then a block or two to your local car meet?  Did you bend the perimeters of you original question of not modifying the body, just to show us a picture of you accomplishing what members have told you it can't be done without body mod?

Good Luck with you endeavors fitting the rims

• Like 1

Zero offset with an 8 inch rim would rub, a 9 inch will for sure.  The zero offset gets you away from the rear control arm and shock, but moves you out towards the fender more.

I have 16x8, +15 offset with 225 x 40, no spacer, and had to mod the inner fender to rid the rub at top of the travel.  I could have just let them rub the few times they bottomed out, but I don't like putting additional non-designed heat and abrupt shock on a tire that may see 100+ mph with me in the car.  Then again, I'm a responsible adult who thinks about my safety and safety of others. Same safety concerns with stretching a tire well passed the tire manufactures recommendations.  They don't put the limits on the tire to fit a certain rim because it can't be put on a rim, it puts the tire design in a premature failure condition and unsafe.  Your mind set is, hey I can get it on the rim, its good to go, see you non believers, I did it.  Roll the dice, seems to be your attitude, after all Insha'Allah, right?

Maybe your Dad knows something, but kids just don't listen.  Mine burned down his newly painted 510, not listening to me, burned it down to the ground same day I warned him.

You come on the forum as a newbie asking for advise, then criticize the members taking the time an effort to help by calling them "Non Believers", and no longer have creative minds because some are older.  You don't think a member on here before you hasn't tried doing what you are trying to do?

Now you might be able to stretch a 185 x 40, bend the crap out of the body, to get the tire under the body, and say you did it.  Would it be safe?  Would it be practical to drive more then a block or two to your local car meet?  Did you bend the perimeters of you original question of not modifying the body, just to show us a picture of you accomplishing what members have told you it can't be done without body mod?

Good Luck with you endeavors fitting the rims

You are so correct 69Datsun510 Especially when you see one of those Hella flush setups your immediate thought is I gota stay the hell out of his way and the ever so popular WTF is that? Frikin ugly. Sounds like arabian_ryda is going to hella flush the wheels well good luck with that and enjoy the hard as hell to handle, bumpy, squirming all over the place, vibrating your molars because its to low ride.

• Like 1