New member wit 1980 210 hatchback

realsaltblake

I have recently picked up a 210 hatchback. This is my first Datsun and I have loved it so far.

My to do-list:

-New seats or just covers as the current ones are very worn.

-New catalytic converter as it needs a change

-New shocks

Want list:

-Possible Dynomax Super Turbo muffler swap

-14 in wheels

-Diamond grill

-Weber carb

-JDM bumpers

One issue is that when it is cold in the mornings the dash and running taillights won't light up for a while and it will sometimes stall when taken out of gear to stop at a light.

If anyone has any advice on the exact Dynomax muffler part that would be helpful as well.

IMG_20141122_162554_zps8efb7c5c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One issue is that when it is cold in the mornings the dash and running taillights won't light up for a while and it will sometimes stall when taken out of gear to stop at a light.

If anyone has any advice on the exact Dynomax muffler part that would be helpful as well.

Dash, running, marker, license lamps are powered directly from the headlight switch. These are lubricated with a grease of some kind and over time it becomes thicker and or collects dirt, dust and becomes gummy. I think the best thing is to pop the steering wheel off, split the plastic 'clam shell' around the steering column, unplug the lights and wiper switch assembly, remove it and clean it with an electrical contact spray. 

Check valve lash. A tight valve will leak intake vacuum making idle very weak.

Check timing.

Check idle mixture and speed when engine warm. If this happens diring warm up check the choke is operating properly.

Dynomax? Over priced over hyped. Just avoid anything straight through.

Dash, running, marker, license lamps are powered directly from the headlight switch. These are lubricated with a grease of some kind and over time it becomes thicker and or collects dirt, dust and becomes gummy. I think the best thing is to pop the steering wheel off, split the plastic 'clam shell' around the steering column, unplug the lights and wiper switch assembly, remove it and clean it with an electrical contact spray. 

Check valve lash. A tight valve will leak intake vacuum making idle very weak.

Check timing.

Check idle mixture and speed when engine warm. If this happens diring warm up check the choke is operating properly.

Dynomax? Over priced over hyped. Just avoid anything straight through.

Spot on

720s are notorious (at least half the ones I have owned) for the contacts getting corroded .  I know this is a 210. But still.  Once you get the clam shell off, theres only a few small screws to take out to get to it.  I wiped mine off. hit with some 320 grit sand paper.  Some of that dialectic grease, and she was good as new.  It was always in the morning or after it sat.  I could turn the headlights on and it would take like 30 seconds for the headlights to actually come on.  Sometimes dash lights too.  After cleaning the contacts, it was not a problem anymore.

• Like 1

Spot on

720s are notorious (at least half the ones I have owned) for the contacts getting corroded .  I know this is a 210. But still.  Once you get the clam shell off, theres only a few small screws to take out to get to it.  I wiped mine off. hit with some 320 grit sand paper.  Some of that dialectic grease, and she was good as new.  It was always in the morning or after it sat.  I could turn the headlights on and it would take like 30 seconds for the headlights to actually come on.  Sometimes dash lights too.  After cleaning the contacts, it was not a problem anymore.

i replaced my 210 blinker/light/wiper assembly with one off a 720. doesn't fit under the plastic cover perfectly, but it works. and i have intermittent wipers now.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience taking these steering wheels off? It seems as easy as taking off the center horn cover and using a steering wheel remover to get it off, however, I don't want to break any parts.

Here is a picture of the steering wheel off of another car.

http://www.collectorcarads.com/Picture4/IMG_2207.jpg

pretty sure that's all I did to take mine off. It's been almost a year though so don't take my word for it...

• 4 weeks later...