Block breather is blowing out oil

Yealla510

My block is blowing out oil and I forgot to install the breather neck. And a hose that connect to the intake

What the problem I pulled over and stuff it wit

A metal rag looking it worked

But my question is why was it blowing oil I nearly rebuild block

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you know you forgot, get the block vent tube back on it and connect it back up to the PCV valve on the intake for a start

Check the oil level. Over full will cause this.

You nearly bebuild it?

Did you remove and forget to replace the baffle screen covering the block vent then? It helps separate the oil droplets and lets them drip back down into the oil pan. It looks like a folded piece of fly screen under a metal cover.

Even the block vent pipe will allow some oil fog to settle in it and drip back, allowing only vapors to get to the PCV valve on the intake.

What did you rebuild? Because a worn engine will produce huge amounts of blow by gasses and these gasses pressurize the inside of the block and have to get out. One place is the block vent, and that volume of escaping air will carry oil spray with it. New rings on a worn out but honed bore isn't going to make a new engine.  If you have a case of terminal blow by, connecting the block vent will just allow the gasses to blow back out the valve cover hose.

• Like 1

Well if you know you forgot, get the block vent tube back on it and connect it back up to the PCV valve on the intake for a start

Check the oil level. Over full will cause this.

You nearly bebuild it?

Did you remove and forget to replace the baffle screen covering the block vent then? It helps separate the oil droplets and lets them drip back down into the oil pan. It looks like a folded piece of fly screen under a metal cover.

Even the block vent pipe will allow some oil fog to settle in it and drip back, allowing only vapors to get to the PCV valve on the intake.

What did you rebuild? Because a worn engine will produce huge amounts of blow by gasses and these gasses pressurize the inside of the block and have to get out. One place is the block vent, and that volume of escaping air will carry oil spray with it. New rings on a worn out but honed bore isn't going to make a new engine.  If you have a case of terminal blow by, connecting the block vent will just allow the gasses to blow back out the valve cover hose.

. Read n learn

Thinks might need a new engine (motor) can't go high speeds it bogs out I hear fuel going n

Then when it bogs out when I floor it. It slowly dies I try changing fuel filter fuel lines

Also flush out oil

Found some junk in carb filter clean out that

I did almost everything I could think of I did all the basics what else I'm leavening out

Now it comes down it check compression

Final is swapping the z2.2 to L2.0B last thoughts

if you have decent compression tehn its soemthing else.

521s the carb gets dirty cause of the fuel line get water and didrt past it. if 2ndary jet is clogged that could make it feel like it bogs in high speed or a distributor issue.

if rings are bad youll see alot of smoke or stink at idle comming out that crank case vent at idle if you open it up(take the pcv hose off on crank side. Too see the smoke run it at night and run a flash light across it

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get a vent I can't find right now but I put a metal thick brush looking and itts been working for a while now.

I been asking around for one even going to pick n pull

Also there's no smoke coming from tail pipe only when I shift down the freeway but really smoking no way it has. New exhaust front to back with a loud ass muffler at rear

And my brother check the compression tree or shooting 170and one is shooting 130

I would do a valve lash ck on the low reading cylinder just to be sake that its not closing all the way.

If stock use the use to the aircleaner.

If a weber most of us just open vent the top aircleabner or rout it to the Weber Carb aircleaner as it has a hol on the bottom and a L tube for the hose to hook up to .

The bottom we use the crank case vent to a PCV valve on the bottom of the intake..

I seen Morons plug the crank case ventwith spark plugs or big bolts then the motor starts smoking. The internwls of a bkock needs to vent as the soeeds changes

It bogs down and finally dies because you either have a weak fuel pump OR a blockage some where in your fuel line.

I would recommend doing the fuel line cleaning first. A working 40 yr old factory fuel pump is better than any new replacement you may buy at your local parts store.

To clean your fuel line, do the following:

Replace all rubber fuel lines ie from tank to metal fuel line / from metal fuel line to fuel filter / from fuel filter to fuel pump / from fuel pump to carb.

Before putting on new rubber lines (but after you have removed the old ones). Plug the tank side of the metal fuel line and then fill the metal fuel line with carburetor dip like Berrymans (buy the 1 gallon can). Let it sit overnight.

With a compressor, blow out the metal fuel line (from tank to filter).

Put the remaining Berrymans dip into the gas tank, let it sit overnight and then drain it.

If you still have the Hitachi carb.

Clean the carb filter (right at the point where the rubber fuel line is attached to the carb).

You probably have crap in the float bowl chamber. Either remove the top portion of the carb to clean (this is the preferred way) OR remove the float bowl drain bolts and spray out the bowl (lazy way and not as effective).

Put all the new rubber lines on, use a new fuel filter and give it a whirl.

This will not help the oil blowing situation but it will help your power and performance.

You also said that you flushed out the oil. Did you use a petroleum based flushing additive? If so you may not have removed all of it which would thin your oil (to the point where the oil is useless). If this is the case it will cause oil to come out of your PVC system. Drain every ounce of oil, do it with the engine hot and be patient, let all of the oil drip out. Make sure your engine is level when draining the oil. You might even consider buying a couple quarts of cheap oil to pour through with the drain plug still off for a safety measure. Replace the oil filter even if the one you have is new.

Personally I would never flush out my engine with a petroleum additive, to much risk to your engine.