The Red Baron

GoGoGo

FYI, if you do not have bumpsteer spacers, when the pads get worn down past halfway the calipers will hit the tie rods. 

I usually fix this by swapping the struts side-to-side so the calipers are in the front.  :thumbup:

Thanks for looking out for me. For some reason the previous owner installed bumpsteer spacers when they really didn't need them. So I used them on the new struts as I did need them now...no pics of them though. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the 2015 Melee last weekend...and it was exhausting. A little more than 1000 miles over 3 days, through the fires up in Lake County. Car ran great (didn't burn any oil) but my wheel bearings did go out on me so that will be a winter project to deal with once I get the motivation to work on the car again. Here is some pics of the event. I tried to only include pics that showed Datsuns (there was me and another 510) but you get an idea of the type of cars. What a blast the entire trip was!

DvupAr5.jpg

nUl3iWm.jpg

1AE3ssw.jpg

Z7uFdgA.jpg

QHPFv5c.jpg

o2iq09M.jpg

y6ex8Bo.jpg

Mqlgkls.jpg

51tsLgF.jpg

• Like 6
  • 6 months later...

It's been quite a while since my last post. Just super busy with my business and had our 2nd daughter in December. However, I've done some small things over the last 6 months or so just haven't updated the post. So I will put the latest update and then add a few more over time to catch up to the current condition. 

Today I finally put in a stock radio that I purchased almost a year ago. It didn't come with the mounting brackets and for some reason they were much harder than I thought to find!

When I got the car it had some aftermarket Kenwood CD player that looked completely out of place so that was moved and I was left with this.

aHR4HSb.jpg

PrYFgQa.jpg

rMSFhFg.jpg

PUFwCAr.jpg

lxzVd7c.jpg

Definitely wanted to keep the cigarette lighter adapter (only way I charged my phone on the California Melee) so I removed and cleaned it up a little as I doubt I'll ever need to remove it again. 

1gYVowv.jpg

00OEbeB.jpg

Found a very clean used center console piece from another Datsun enthusiast that wasn't all hacked up!

MavpYjW.jpg

GlxE3uk.jpg

Removed some of the extra wiring that was tied into the stock wiring and powered the modern CD player. 

VSmX5jc.jpg

Mounted the brackets onto a very clean 1971 Datsun 510 AM radio. I usually never put rusty parts onto a car but made an exception this time. Partly out of laziness and mostly because it's completely hidden and will be in a dry area forever. 

LscaZk8.jpg

qasvtNq.jpg

Then bolted the radio to the dash to test fit and get it aligned up. 

9Hj6Vmp.jpg

Finished!

EO6tD0l.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good! I very much want a stock stereo for my 510, but I want to gut it and install a Bluetooth receiver inside it. Alas, other things (like installing an engine) must come first.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Couple smaller updates before this winter I finally get the 510 to the level I want and then I can stop searching CL and eBay for NOS parts and rare upgrades. Found a good local painter based off a posting on Bring a Trailer and will cfix the peeling clear coat and various nicks and scratches on the car. Troy Ermish did some upgrades to the front and rear suspension which I will document once I get the car back on the lift to take some pictures. 

Replaced the original fuel pump swapped from the L16 onto the L20b as it was leaking oil and I had no desire to rebuild a 45-year old fuel pump. Found a NOS fuel pump in Thailand on Ebay so on it went!

Original leaking one:

OOLcPBw.jpg

xvF5LTP.jpg

FaKokiP.jpg

NOS pump installed along with NOS hose clamps:

OYgHGMR.jpg

IyTTZ1x.jpg

DYfu59z.jpg

oeENymz.jpg

vHEYitV.jpg

y9p3IMc.jpg

• Like 1

Also found some recently rebuilt Mikuni PHH 40s along with a manifold on CL and picked them up for a great price. The SUs were working great but I've always wanted sidedrafts on the car and for a mild L20b the 40s are a perfect size. With the longer intake runners I needed the short air horns and filters that could fit against the brake master. RamAir (UK based) had some universal sidedraft foam filters that fit great and were very affordable. 

jwTgfnO.jpg

8479W7c.jpg

zDdnSre.jpg

• Like 2

OYgHGMR.jpg

Place a small blob of black RTV (or perhaps red would be better looking) on the rivitt head just below the mounting stud and the mate on the other side. This is the pivot pin the arm sits on inside and the often weep oil. Just enough to look messy. A thin skin of RTV plugging the hole will keep that engine looking clean longer.. .

• Like 1