The Red Baron

GoGoGo

The year was 1998, I was a junior in high school and for the past 2 years I had just worked 365 days a year delivering newspapers and finally saved up $1000 to buy my first car. My dad said no V8s so that 1971 lowered C10 I saw everyday was out of the question. Somehow I stumbled upon the movie Against All Odds and the rest was history. For about 5 years I lived and breathed 510s owning about 8 of them and even doing my senior project on auto racing following Troy Ermish around for a day. Was able to befriend Dean Sherman and went with him to Mt. Shasta in 2001. Then once I started having to wear suits (in finance field), having no air conditioning and smelling like grease all the time got old fast. 

Fast forward to 2014, married with a 2 year-old and running a small business = time to get back into my passion. Searching craigslist early one morning and stumbled upon the 1971 Datsun 510 you see below. The listing mentioned low mileage and the previous owner being a older lady (yeah right, I thought). Stock with L16 and automatic (yuck!). No pictures which is never a good sign... I called him and got the basic story which was that the original owner named Mary bought it brand new from Palo Alto Datsun in CA and kept it from 1971 until 2007 and then the current owner bought it from her estate for his 16-year old daughter to drive to and from high school about 5 miles away. The mileage was a little over 52k (wow!). He painted it the original color, put new Panasports on it with some mild springs but everything else was pretty much original. After getting some pictures texted to me, I scheduled some time the next day to check it out. 

After seeing the car for about 5 mins, I knew I had to buy it. The price was fair ($8K) and the opportunity too good to pass up. Drove it home (hour away) and immediately started to plan out the lifelong project. I want it to be what is called in the E36 world, OEM+. Keep it looking original, respect the Datsun spirit but improve the fun and reliability factor. I think I have a good base to meet that goal.
ZHsQnAzl.jpg4lyPrUpl.jpg3Y1jMURl.jpgmh1Wdlcl.jpg8HA7j2jl.jpg
  • Like 4
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want it to be what is called in the E36 world, OEM+. Keep it looking original, respect the Datsun spirit but improve the fun and reliability factor. 

FWIW, this is a thing in all German car cultures, not just the E36.   ;)

Are you going all the way with that? Like newer Nissan wheels, 240Z steering wheel, etc? 

I guess OEM+ means whatever I would define it as - which is having the majority of any modification (especially under the hood and on the body) be parts that would have been available in the 1970s. But I will also be breaking the rules a little. For example I just picked up a pair of E30 vinyl sport seats that match the rear pattern very well. Maybe it's best to list what I will not be doing to the car:

• Only L-series (based) engine (no EFI and/or SR20, etc.)
  • Stock body (no modifications)
  • No stereo upgrades (going back to stock deck)
  • Lighting pretty much original

And then upgrade things that the factory would have done if they had the option for later 1970s parts such as 280zx front brakes, internally regulated alternator, L20b motor upgrade, dual SU or sidedraft carbs. 

• Like 2

I guess OEM+ means whatever I would define it as - which is having the majority of any modification (especially under the hood and on the body) be parts that would have been available in the 1970s. 

In the old Japanese car world, that's considered "period correct" or "era correct". 

In the German car world, OEM+ means only using OEM parts. Like taking a MK2 Golf and using MK3 suspension and drivetrain, MK4 seats, Audi wheels, etc. So it's basically like saying, if they made the MK2 Golf today, what would it have in it. 

• Like 1

Yes that would be a better way to saying it. Period correct with the period being the 1970s. Thanks for letting me know about the 15s not being part of the 70s as I wasn't sure about that. I actually like the look of the 14s better but will need to make sure they were available in the 70s. 

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know about the 15s not being part of the 70s as I wasn't sure about that. I actually like the look of the 14s better but will need to make sure they were available in the 70s. 

The thing is, 14" wheels were available in the 60s even, and all the rage for Zs and Roadsters. It's the tires that just barely snuck in under the wire.   ^_^

Zs and roadster run a taller tire so 14s were an option right off the showroom floor. Tires to suit a 510 (185/60-14 or 195/60-14) didn't hit until the end of the 70s. 

Short version:

13s = more period correct

14s = more brake options

For reference, 14s really came into popularity with the 510 crowd in the very early 80s (but still 70s legit). 15s weren't a common sight until the late 80s/early 90s when the 195/50-15 and 205/50-15 tires came out. 

• Like 2

First little project completed last night. Found an early style valve cover on Craigslist, filled the nicks with JB Weld and had it powder-coated wrinkle black and then carefully sanded off the lettering (started with 500 grit and ended at 1000 grit). Considering doing the ridges but for now I really like the way this has turned out. Going onto the "sleeper" L20b ;)

b22Rjyel.jpgZDRA3Exl.jpgsm4V1hIl.jpg9v4MYbpl.jpg

• Like 4

valve cover looks great but I think you might like it better if you do the ridges also

I have that valve cover on my L20B with no clearance issues  

by the way automatics rock BECAUSE when you put whatever tranny in and cut the shifter hole there is no patchwork 

that car looks super clean 

I'm not sure why I have done this to every 510 I've ever owned but I really like the look of the rear taillights without the inner chrome trim. So I removed the lights, de-trimed it and reinstalled with aftermarket outer gaskets from Rod in San Jose. I also bought NOS inner gaskets from him but since mine were in such good shape I decided to store those away for the future.

F9iQ3ykl.jpg

UDIUBDAl.jpg

5j1b5uBl.jpg

1TcWAtFl.jpg

• Like 4