72 Skyline Yukika

earlyvws

This project is going to be in 2 phases.

First phase is scuff and shoot exterior. No bodywork. Lowered on rims and driving under some other motor not this one since it will be a pain in the ass getting gasket kit.

Phase two will be complete tear down and full rebuild after I acquire everything that will prevent me from putting it back together. I imagine all the seals are going to be the most challenging part.

So here are a couple of pics.

As being driven home

8D51CF8E-7456-4116-BFA5-D1D7C2BDF46E.jpg

6448762A-B6A5-4A14-81AE-6FF8D08812E7.jpg

Very little rust anywhere. Only found one minor spot on driver side (right side) below the rear qtr panel. Not even very bad.

34BB1116-4F95-4ECB-8C8F-3CEB2B28810F.jpg

Will keep adding pics as I progress.

Anyone have experience registering out of country cars in CA? Title still is Japanese.

• Like 7
  • Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the fence about flaring. Seems like a bad idea to make a GTR clone being a 4 cyl. But I do like the flares. For this phase leave it as is. Since I will do the real work later, I don't want to open up a can of worms right now. That's why I'm not doing bodywork. Just more crap to remove latter.

I wouldn't necessarily say flaring a skyline is trying to make a GT-R clone. You're not going all out with the intention of making it a clone. I used to hate the way these looked without rear flares; quarter panel drops so low. Once I saw one in person, it wasn't as bad as it looked in photos. I prefer flares, at least on the rear, but I wouldn't really want to hack up a fairly straight bodied car; a rare short nose at that.

What's it got for an engine now? What do you plan on doing to it?

Anyone have experience registering out of country cars in CA? Title still is Japanese.

I would call Sacramento to verify, but I had to take the car to the DMV, and they have to verify that two serial numbers on the vehicle match the paperwork.  (I had to go to 3 different DMV offices until I got someone who knew WTF they were looking at.)

Once that is done, you will need the title (I think Japan doesn't use a title per-se) and the usual Bill of Sale.

Oh, and bring a checkbook :)

Nice car, btw!

guys are gonna try to sway you either way on the flares   :sleep:

this the importer you used?  http://buy-r.com/

I did not import it. Someone else did. This car came here from England and has only been in the US since Sep 2014. I'm going to get started on registration immediately. Fortunately I have a Santa Clara cop than can come to the warehouse and do VIN inspection for me. He's done it before and worked out great.

• Like 1

RHD !   Completely worth all the stuff you went through to get it . How can you sleep with something so cool in your clutchs ?!

Ha, I don't sleep before this car. But to be honest I feel the same feelings about all the cars I build. The 521 and this has the same amount of brain power draining thinking about what I'm going to do with them, how I'm going to do this, what color, etc... It's just now I have to dream in segments. 1 hr on the trucks, 1 hr on 510, 4 hrs on this.

So I think I get to do something different. All the 6 cyl Hakosuka guys do the GTR clone look. Again why not, it is a cool look. So I am going to set the standard for the 4cyl Hako's so they clone me!

• Like 3

I wouldn't necessarily say flaring a skyline is trying to make a GT-R clone. You're not going all out with the intention of making it a clone. I used to hate the way these looked without rear flares; quarter panel drops so low. Once I saw one in person, it wasn't as bad as it looked in photos. I prefer flares, at least on the rear, but I wouldn't really want to hack up a fairly straight bodied car; a rare short nose at that.

What's it got for an engine now? What do you plan on doing to it?

I agree flares do not equate clone. But it is step 1 in the attack of the clones.

Funny, I had the exactly same feeling. In pics it doesn't look all that nice with the rear wheel sheet metal. But in person it looks very clean and nice. Also this car is smaller then it looks in pics. I saw the few at JCCS this year but they did not leave me with the impression of small. Probably because they were lowered.

Engine in it is the OG G18. It is completely different then an L series motor.

In the future when I really build this, I'm going with the FJ20. I already have an incomplete one that I need to track down a few more items for.

For sure no flares for now. I want to drive this. I figure I'm goin to have to go thru drive thrus in reverse. The look on faces will be worth it. It would make the decision so much easier if they were all rusted out. Then I could just cut and flare with no regrets.

• Like 2

Your best avenue is to go inside the burger joint if you actually eat in places like that, as they don't serve you unless your inside your car, I have tried it, they just told me to come inside, I have a RHD mini, maybe it's a Washington State thing.

I say make it a driver, I take all my rigs golfing a few times a year, I am careful about where I park, definitely don't want to be by the end of any hole, or beside a fairway, but I drive it anyway, I want to enjoy it. :)

• Like 2

Great score! Did you get this from the510keeper?

Yes. I was no way looking for one. I am pretty savy and knew these were hard to come by after learning of them a year ago. I was looking for a 2 dr 510 and having difficulty with that search. He posted one on CL and went to buy it.

While there we started talking about 23 window vw busses. He mentioned he wanted one. I started to explain how difficult that will be to get one and how much money one will be. That conversation led to him telling me he had a skyline. Then he said he would sell it and gave me a number. I told him I couldn't do that number cuz I never have that much cash. I offered to trade him my 23 window but that didn't go anywhere. So I left.

But knowing the price tag and that it was close to me I couldn't get it out of my mind. Every day the itch was getting the best of me. A few weeks go by and I couldn't take it anymore. I called him and asked if he was willing to give me some time to raise the cash. I told him what I was planning to do and he gave me a verbal agreement. I started that day selling shit as fast as I could. Got extremely luck sold enough in 1 week to pay in full.

• Like 1

Wife is in Japan for work which translates to me have less time to work. My kids are so "helpful" that progress is slow. So I'm stuck doing "quick" easy stuff I can drop and leave if necessary. So I started the game called Trunk. It's one of those things that starts out easy and turns into mind games. Additionally I'm trying to not tweak too much because I don't know if this will be the final shape I need in the future resto.

Here is the starting position.

Back edge of trunk to cowl/ body.

2EB84EF5-169F-4FAF-BA43-83737DD1FDB2.jpg

Left side corner

C97010A3-B877-4BCE-9A23-4A4F0971D263.jpg

Left side trunk above fender

7AD1215A-0A5E-46B1-83AE-0E6BA2D816FD.jpg

Right side corner trunk below fender a lot.

6376C139-5985-4068-B988-3407B81C32AE.jpg

Right side corner brought up close to level

CA87F6F9-99E0-48DE-9460-C470925AFDC0.jpg[/

6B737638-10CD-4277-8C44-1DC139390B30.jpg

Left side corner

EF1C3751-E221-4FCF-8038-9386BFEDF636.jpg

[url="http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/earlyvws/media/80B57D39-9B7E-4133-A59E-022F5A083967.jpg.html]80B57D39-9B7E-4133-A59E-022F5A083967.jpg

• Like 1