Loose transmission

Scgreen620

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup turns out two bearings on the main shaft were fucked.. Had to replace shaft and the bearings of course ... Good thing is I got a aluminum case cover... Turns out the metal one I had wasn't good it caused a lot of problems. Well that's what the professionals said..

Bullshit. Professionals are professionals because they went to school to learn excuses to say when they don't know the answer to something. The bearings caused the problem not the front cover. Lack of oil or lack of oil changes fuck these transmissions up. Change every 30K or 5? years. Bet it was changed by the first owner and then maybe by you when you bought it. Should have been changed half a dozen time by now. Why was the input shaft replaced? The bad bearing just presses off and a new one on. It looks good from the picture.

Lets not jump to conclusions, the owner of said transmission likely doesn't know a lot about the said transmission, they likely replaced the two front bearings, and the steel cover might have been messed up, as it did leak oil out the front.

Scgreen620, I consider the steel covers the best that are out there, the aluminum ones are a distant second, it takes a lot to mess up the steel cover, I have only seen one steel cover broken, and that was the photo I posted on here, all the other broken ones were aluminum, they seem to break easy, so it is likely that the cover got messed up/ground up/bent when the bearing case/holders self destructed.

I had to have a steel cover worked on once, the lower bearing went bad and (for a lack of a better word) the cover and case got road rashed a little, so I had the case and the steel cover turned out to the larger lower bearing, it's in my 521KC diesel to this day, and that sucker has made noise since the day I installed it, the lower hole was a couple thousands to small, the case had to be firmly helped on.

Yea, I understand, they don't fix stuff anymore, they either totally rebuild it, or they don't touch it, I think that Aamco started that all or nothing shit, but maybe some other company did that before them, I am only 58 years old, so anything auto related before 1970 wasn't important to me when I was a kid, except for my bicycle.

(I hate transmission shops)

The guys at the "gear shop" took the rest of the transmission appart and showed me the damage on the shaft ..

I didn't take pics because I was shocked ... They charged me 425 the even replaced a sensor looking thing with two prongs I'm imagining its for the reverse light switch. The one I had prior didn't even look like it was a switch

these guys weren't that bad the only changed what was needed and not the whole thing.. One year warranty