New Member with U521

Tico Bill

$5 USD/Gallon. The monetary unit here is the Colon (no jokes, please :rolleyes: ). Right now about 532 to the dollar. Costa Rica has no refineries at all. It imports ready-to-consume gasoline and the government controls all of the gas stations. Price is the same (high) price and (poor) quality anywhere in the country. 

Okay, I wasn't sure if you meant it was 5 Colons/gallon or 5 usds/gallon. On that note, I'm fine with $3.20 usds per gallon.  :P

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is for sale. I want to restore the U320 and the body is going to be rather involved. Labor is cheap here, but parts brought in to the country are taxed at 100%. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a ticket to Miami, buy the part and bring it in my suitcase than it is to pay the import duties.

I shipped my Land Rover to the Houston and did a lot of work on it there, then drove it back and I still think I was ahead off the game.

• Like 1

I think shipping to Miami would be around $800. Should be EPA exempt as it is over 25 years old. I am retired military and register all of my vehicles in Alabama. If it doesn't sell, I have a guy here interested in my BJ40. Something's got to go. The spousal unit does not care for my newly acquired Datsun addiction. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

I wish it was already in the country, but by the time I was able to put it in my name, I would likely have 11,000 to 12,000 dollars into it, and a whole bottle of Ibuprofen in me from all the headaches of dealing with it. 

It would be cool to own one of every "U" model. :lol:

Save up your pennies :)

• Like 1

Someone said something about saving my pennies, so that is the change drawer, I am saving quarters also, I can usually save about $250. in change every year, so in about 30 years I will have saved enough, you think it will still be for sale? :lol:

Dam Wayno you have more money than the US government.  Careful they will raise you taxes for having that big of stash!  LOL

• Like 1

I'm figuring to make it worth my while to ship this to my place in the States, I would also ship the U620. I really don't care for its look and I would love to have the fun tickets to properly fix up the U320. I'm going to Florida in March and will see what is involved. I have a friend in San Jose that exports Land Rovers and Land Cruisers for a living,

In the meanwhile, I am going to start disassembling the U320 in April and will start taking photos. Not the fastest restorer on the planet, though.

• Like 1

Amazingly rare survivors. Drool factor is off-the-scale. All LHD on top of the rarity. Rarest of the rare.

Does the U620 have vent windows for the tropics. I've read that the 620's had vent windows in the Central American market. Even fantasized finding a setup for possible transplant into the 78 Longbed someday.

Just my opinion, but keep the U521 as original as you can; and guard that back window with your life.

Tico Bill, you live in Paradise in some Datsun-Heads opinions.

Thanks for the very interesting post.

Steve

• Like 1

I have seen a few 620 trucks with vent windows, but I'm pretty sure that the doors were brought in from Japan and Oz. I have a friend that imports cars and parts in order to keep these old vehicles supplied. I never really thought about it until now. Driver's doors wear out the fastest, so ones from RHD vehicles are usually in good shape. 

I have two back windows for the 521; it's those taillights that took me over a year to source. Around here, once the word gets out that you are looking for a particular part, you start to get calls, but with astounding prices. 

I am going to see about exporting it to my place in Birmingham, AL. I can ship to Miami, then drive it up.  

• Like 1

In true newbie fashion I posted my first photos in the 520 forum. I apologize, but I wanted to show the group some photos of my first attempt at a Datsun restoration. I also have a 109 Series III Land Rover and my DD is a 1977 Toyota BJ40.

DSCF5080_zps6fa27984.jpg?t=1415747196

DSCF5061_zps978dac34.jpg?t=1415746966

DSCF5053_zps65c64d6b.jpg

DSCF5059_zps0e4929f9.jpg?t=1415746833

pretty damn bitchin'. It is better than a 521 or 510.....best of both worlds. Think I may have a couple hubcaps I'd sell/trade if u figure out shippin'.

• Like 1

Just kiddin about the double eagle. Ya reckon anyone strained their eyes looking for the $20 gold piece.

I haven't spent pennies for over thirty years. They all get sorted and the 81 and older get thrown into one can and the 83 & later in another. The 82's go in a third can.  The newer ones get turned in every now and then. When theres a big handful of 82's, an edge gets bumped on a belt sander to see what color they are under the surface. Silver go in with the newer and the copper colored ones go into the vault with the pre-82's.

Quit spending nickles about year and a half ago. The metal in them is almost worth five cents  The copper pennies have almost 2.5 cents worth of metal in them.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for waking up an old thread but very nice car. I'm in the process of restoring one as well and desperately searching for a set of tail lights to complete the car. Are there still parts available for this car in South America?

Hi, just saw this. I just bought the last NOS pair of tail lights for my U521 at the local Datsun dealer and I paid the equivalent of $678 for the pair. They are unique to this body style. Bumpers are NLA, grille parts NLA, emblems are worth their weight in gold. Kind of disheartening.

On the bright side, front bearings, both inner, outer and seals, are easy to find. I just did mine yesterday.  

• Like 1

Thank you. Been kind of busy, but have started back on the Datsuns. 

We plan to move back to Florida sometime after August. I plan to bring back the 521 and the 320. Surprisingly, there are only two forms to fill out in order to bring them back, both available online.

• Like 1