New Member with U521

Tico Bill

Dude you totally need to drop in a 22RE, chop it and bag it.  Yea...

Seriously, it's beautiful, rare, and I hope you are able to bring it back to stock. 

Hoo yeah, laying frame with a chrome paint job and a crown air freshener; maybe a pair of plastic bull balls mounted under the rear bumper :w00t: !

I bought the U320 yesterday only to keep it out of the clutches of the 200 crumb snatchers living in the neighborhood where it reposed. 

I don't really want it, as after looking around on the project pages here on Ratsun, I want to build a custom frame for the U620 and "she whom must be obeyed" has decreed a four car limit here at "Rancho Destituto".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wish you were closer, I would likely take it off your hands, but wayno is scared to go to them countries. :lol:

Does it run?

Hoo yeah, laying frame with a chrome paint job and a crown air freshener; maybe a pair of plastic bull balls mounted under the rear bumper :w00t: !

I bought the U320 yesterday only to keep it out of the clutches of the 200 crumb snatchers living in the neighborhood where it reposed. 

I don't really want it, as after looking around on the project pages here on Ratsun, I want to build a custom frame for the U620 and "she whom must be obeyed" has decreed a four car limit here at "Rancho Destituto".

Well I wish you were closer, I would likely take it off your hands, but wayno is scared to go to them countries. :lol:

Does it run?

Yes, engine was rebuilt three years ago and has basically not been driven since, though she's far from cherry.

I love living here, no military and only minor crime. Hell, went to a bowl game at Comerica in Detroit and just driving around that neighborhood made my butt cheeks clench tighter than when I was in Vietnam :crying: . I am having it delivered here in the next few days and will take some pics.  

All I can say is WOW, you have a stable of rare vehicles.

You say that it's not that rare in your country, so you know of others?

As far as I know, there is not one U620 in the United States of America, you have one, and there are a few that show up in Japan, I would guess that there are very few left.

Yours is another one that I have never seen before, a LHD U620.

I think you have something very rare, do you have the stock rear bumper for that U620?

It was believed that there were less than 20 Datsun U320s left in the world, there was supposedly over a thousand made, most are thought to have went to Asia, now you have shown up with one, do you know of any more?

Have you seen another U521 in your country?

Have you seen a U520?

Have you seen any 4 door 320s, 520s, 521s, or 620s?

I am trying to get an idea what kind of classic Datsun vehicles you have in your country.

All I can say is WOW, you have a stable of rare vehicles.

You say that it's not that rare in your country, so you know of others?

As far as I know, there is not one U620 in the United States of America, you have one, and there are a few that show up in Japan, I would guess that there are very few left.

Yours is another one that I have never seen before, a LHD U620.

I think you have something very rare, do you have the stock rear bumper for that U620?

It was believed that there were less than 20 Datsun U320s left in the world, there was supposedly over a thousand made, most are thought to have went to Asia, now you have shown up with one, do you know of any more?

Have you seen another U521 in your country?

Have you seen a U520?

Have you seen any 4 door 320s, 520s, 521s, or 620s?

I am trying to get an idea what kind of classic Datsun vehicles you have in your country.

Hi Wayno, I do not have the original rear bumper. That bitchin' one that is on there is welded to the frame for my restoration enjoyment. :poop:

There are many 4 door 620s around San Jose. Most of them are flatbeds. There was a weird law back then that the trucks could come into the country, but the bed had to be locally made. Wildly varying craftsmanship.

I have never seen another U521, but now that I know what I am looking at, there are a couple of U520s.

The U320 is the only one I have seen around these parts, but I am sure that there are a few in the more rural parts of Costa Rica. There are also a few V520s/521s around, mostly up on blocks.

One problem here is that if you do not turn in the plates on a car, you must pay all of the back registrations and late fees. I had to hire a lawyer when I purchased the U521; cost me more than the purchase price.This country is living proof of what can happen when you quit caring about whom is running the government. You now can vote for either John Thompson or Thom Johnson, interchangeable Mr. Potato Heads.

Sorry for the rant. Long day.

They are here for the taking . I would be willing to drive anyone around to see them. I drove a 1952 Series I land Rover from here to Texas a few years ago (a WHOLE other story  :mellow: ), but it probably would cost less to ship to Miami. I don't know about costs out of here, but I only paid $600 out of Wilmington, DE to ship my wife's car to here.

Holy shit, I'm extremely jealous! That converts to roughly 0.01 cents in usd! (Unless, you already converted it, that is.)

$5 USD/Gallon. The monetary unit here is the Colon (no jokes, please :rolleyes: ). Right now about 532 to the dollar. Costa Rica has no refineries at all. It imports ready-to-consume gasoline and the government controls all of the gas stations. Price is the same (high) price and (poor) quality anywhere in the country. 

• Like 1

I just tried this, there was no "Datsun", just Nissan, and it was all new stuff, it also was in what I suspect to be Spanish.

You could sell a lot of U620s up here if they were to be brought across the border, but most everyone here including me cannot afford to ship them here, and I myself would be afraid/scared to come down there and drive it back to the US.

I don't own any 620s, but I would own a U620. :)

Not mine, but if you check out crautos.com and click on Datsun, there is a V520 for sale. Apparently, the owner needs the money for a head transplant.

• Like 1

I just tried this, there was no "Datsun", just Nissan, and it was all new stuff, it also was in what I suspect to be Spanish.

You could sell a lot of U620s up here if they were to be brought across the border, but most everyone here including me cannot afford to ship them here, and I myself would be afraid/scared to come down there and drive it back to the US.

I don't own any 620s, but I would own a U620. :)

Already sold. It was red with windows. The  owner had erased his head from one shot. The website is in spanish but it shows the value in dollars also. You can scroll down to the bottom the page and click on "Marca" (make). When the window opens, Datsun is between Daihatsu and DFM. If nothing else, you can look at the odd makes that are sold down here like Dascia and SSang Yong.

I buy cars to keep; don't sell as a rule. I just enjoy finding them.

• Like 1

I just tried to copy what I am seeing when I go there, but it will not let me post the page I see on Ratsun.

There is nothing on the page I see that says "Marca", it just shows about 20 different makes in little boxes, and Nissan is one of them, when I go to/click on the Nissan box, the only vehicles there are 2015 models.

I guess it doesn't matter, as if I see a U620 for sale on there, it will just depress me, as I cannot afford to ship it, nor do I have the room to store it, I have a lot of Datsuns.

• Like 1

Thanks, I finally found the Datsun section, lot of 1200s down there.

Glad you found it. I forgot to mention that you had to go to "usados" or else you would be sent to the new vehicle section. My bad. 

Love the 1200 pickups, but they are short on legroom. Some rolling down here with serious horsepower. 

• Like 1

Sometimes I am a little slow to get things, I did go to that page, but I was looking at the bottom of the page, not in that big box.

Glad you found it. I forgot to mention that you had to go to "usados" or else you would be sent to the new vehicle section. My bad. 

Love the 1200 pickups, but they are short on legroom. Some rolling down here with serious horsepower. 

• Like 1

I just reread this post and just now noticed that you said there are many 4 door 620s around San Jose, I am starting to believe that they also were made  by Datsun/Nissan, there has been discussion that maybe the 4 door 620s were conversions made in Mexico, there are 2 of them in the States, but then one was found in Saudi Arabia, and now you say there are many of them down there in Costa Rica, this is interesting to me.

Hi Wayno, I do not have the original rear bumper. That bitchin' one that is on there is welded to the frame for my restoration enjoyment. :poop:

There are many 4 door 620s around San Jose. Most of them are flatbeds. There was a weird law back then that the trucks could come into the country, but the bed had to be locally made. Wildly varying craftsmanship.

I have never seen another U521, but now that I know what I am looking at, there are a couple of U520s.

The U320 is the only one I have seen around these parts, but I am sure that there are a few in the more rural parts of Costa Rica. There are also a few V520s/521s around, mostly up on blocks.

One problem here is that if you do not turn in the plates on a car, you must pay all of the back registrations and late fees. I had to hire a lawyer when I purchased the U521; cost me more than the purchase price.This country is living proof of what can happen when you quit caring about whom is running the government. You now can vote for either John Thompson or Thom Johnson, interchangeable Mr. Potato Heads.

Sorry for the rant. Long day.

The trucks from Japan also came over here without some parts, I heard that the boxes were installed in the US, but I have seen photos of Datsun trucks in lots in shipyards with the boxes on them, so I don't know, I do know that they came here without bumpers and mirrors, as the dealers installed them, lot of different types of mirrors on Datsun trucks.

Australia also shipped the trucks in without boxes, boxes are hard to find over there, most had trays(flatbeds) made locally also.

• Like 1