New Member with U521

Tico Bill

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Tico Bill.

As an owner of a 521 Pick-up I really like the variations Nissan made for other countries.

The one that I would kill for is a V520 or V521. The Van version where the cargo area is all under the roof (looks like a 2 door wagon).

Did Costa Rica ever receive these?

• Like 1

Welcome Tico Bill.

As an owner of a 521 Pick-up I really like the variations Nissan made for other countries.

The one that I would kill for is a V520 or V521. The Van version where the cargo area is all under the roof (looks like a 2 door wagon).

Did Costa Rica ever receive these?

Actually, there are two what I believe are V521s near my friend's house in Alajuela. But they have side windows. One might be for sale, but

I don't know for sure.

Possible. I have never seen another one of these before I bought it. The lip has a factory roll, but I don't know. I will take a closeup tomorrow for you.

Wayno, this is the rolled lip on my tailgate. Sorry for the crappy pic, used my cell phone. It appears to not be missing anything, although I have not seen another one to compare it to. Does your U320 have any sort of trim on the inside of the bed at the top? 

20141113_164210_zpsf3da84a7.jpg

Yes, mine has trim that covers that area that you have out in the open, but mine was never rolled.

DSCN2772.JPG

I have never seen the 521 U model up close, just photos like you have posted, so I could not tell you if that is what it is supposed to look like, it just seems like it would have nuts in that channel so the bolts could be screwed in from the inside the way my trim is held on, but my U320 is a very early 1962 model, it even has a strange heater box that only the early 62s had.

Can you see the screws on the inside that holds my trim on in the photo below.

DSCN2611.JPG

DSCN2612.JPG

DSCN2613.JPG

It doesn't mean yours is like mine, I was just asking, if yours had trim at one time, you would be able to see where they ground off the nut holders on the inside of that rolled part.

I am just curious about how all these U models were built, a lot of things on yours are likely on mine also.

Here is mine.

DSCN3148.JPG

DSCN3147.JPG

I don't have any photos of it with all the chrome on it, but here is one of the front.

DSCN3189.JPG

DSCN3316.JPG

Yours is in way better shape than mine.

Yea, it was a stupid way to do it, all the ones I have seen photos of do it this way.

This is Severyns U320 in Belgium

dasimoja.jpg

320utedatsun2.jpg

While mine was done this way.

DSCN2771.JPG

DSCN2770.JPG

I am not happy with the way mine was done, it's cheap and tacky looking, I am likely going to weld up all the little holes and figure out another way of putting a cover on it, or I will just live without a cover.

Wayno are the little pegs for a soft top cover?

DSCN2772.JPG

Nice ride Wayno! I like the lines of your U320. I am going this weekend to where I keep my U621, but the lines are quite different as the sides start at the roof then taper down to the end of the bed like a late-model El Camino. While most people do not consider these handsome, to me the 621 is the strangest looking of the bunch.

Yes, mine has trim that covers that area that you have out in the open, but mine was never rolled.

DSCN2772.JPG

I have never seen the 521 U model up close, just photos like you have posted, so I could not tell you if that is what it is supposed to look like, it just seems like it would have nuts in that channel so the bolts could be screwed in from the inside the way my trim is held on, but my U320 is a very early 1962 model, it even has a strange heater box that only the early 62s had.

Can you see the screws on the inside that holds my trim on in the photo below.

DSCN2611.JPG

DSCN2612.JPG

DSCN2613.JPG

It doesn't mean yours is like mine, I was just asking, if yours had trim at one time, you would be able to see where they ground off the nut holders on the inside of that rolled part.

I am just curious about how all these U models were built, a lot of things on yours are likely on mine also.

Here is mine.

DSCN3148.JPG

DSCN3147.JPG

I don't have any photos of it with all the chrome on it, but here is one of the front.

DSCN3189.JPG

DSCN3316.JPG

Yours is in way better shape than mine.

Wayno, I just found this today on my way to take photos of the U621

3_zps7378a3bd.jpg

8_zps6d9c957d.jpg

4_zpsb66512db.jpg

7_zps90b058e5.jpg

The owner is the guy in the photos. It hasn't been registered for about 20 years, so the really cool "mods" are period perfect.

• Like 1

The owner said to check back with him on Sunday. He is the original owner. I think he will sell it, as he hasn't driven it in a coon's age. I don't really need to drag another car home. My wife thinks I have too many toys as it is.

I stayed and shot the breeze with the owner, so I never got to the warehouse. I will get pics of the 620 this weekend, I get easily distracted by old cars and cold beer. :rolleyes:  

• Like 2

That is an awesome distraction, I wish that I could be distracted by any of the "U" models in the USA, we didn't get any of them, just the NL320.

DSCN0518.JPG

Did you look at the trim on that U320?

The owner said to check back with him on Sunday. He is the original owner. I think he will sell it, as he hasn't driven it in a coon's age. I don't really need to drag another car home. My wife thinks I have too many toys as it is.

I stayed and shot the breeze with the owner, so I never got to the warehouse. I will get pics of the 620 this weekend, I get easily distracted by old cars and cold beer. :rolleyes:  

The trim around the bed is like yours. It bolts on. I still don't know if mine had anything like that. There were no bolts nor holes on the lip and mine has what appears to be a factory rolled lip. I will take more photos of the truck on Sunday or Monday. There are many old Datsuns down here, most commonly the 1200s, but most of the cars have been beaten into submission.

They didn't come with covers from the factory, as far as I know they were all aftermarket covers.

The way mine were put on is goofy, there is no adjustment, while the type Severyn has were adjustable, but my type didn't need hooks on the sides, while the good type cover did need hooks/holes drilled in the bed sides.

Perhaps the trim pieces only came on ones without the cover. I also noticed that some of the ones with covers have the same boat style fasteners that Wayno has but mounted at the bottom of the rolled section.