Sr20VE's or SR20DET and Dogleg 5

nb6179505

Looking back....

I just can't get the transmission with the sr20ve, so will it bolt right up to the dogleg 5?

no i haven't swapped an efi engine, did have a 73 2 door sedan that had a ka24e, torque was a monster. sr20det sounds like it

the sr20 was actually a sr20 vvl from a nissan primera, so it is jdm not from a sentra. i think they're still fwd so not an option

sr20det it is, craigslist here in california doesn't even show ka24de's...

Thanks for all the help guys, yeah I do know how to work on cars, can weld a bit (flux core) and have all the necessary tools. Suspension is lowered on 280zx cut struts with bump steer spacers, front discs in the front

Its just hard coming for a DD thats turbo'd and quick to a carbed l16 haha, the only reason for the build and that it would be nice to have a good pull in the 510 like i did when my first 2door had the ka24e swap

budget is about 2500 to 3000

Time to cut to the chase. At this point you are over your head. I'm not saying you can't dig yourself out, just at this point you are underground. It's ok to want more than you have "for a man's reach should exceed his grasp" I would suggest three things... lots of research followed by research and finally research. Converting a 510 to a KA24E or KA24DE is well documented and any surprises are figured out in advance and covered. I say a KA engine because they are EVERYWHERE!!! cheap and available, wilh lots of parts and after market support. They are also expandable with a turbo or supercharger. This will give you valuable experience to swap in an esoteric foreign engine like the SR and the car will already have all the heavy lifting done to it.

Just noticed you are in California so an SR is totally illegal as we never had them here there is no smog or emission standards to test it to. Yes an engine swap will require smog checks. Yes you can swap anything in, but all it takes is a pissed off cop to see what you've done to it (or just suspect it) and off you go to the test and ultimate removal of the car from the road. At least a KA engine can be registered and tested.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What Mike says it true, the SR is an unknown in the US market, and in California you are vulnerable to the cop with a wild hair up his ass. The truth is you are every bit as vulnerable with a KA as you are with any other motor swap that exceeds the 1.6L and or the emission standard for your car's stock configuration. That being said, as long as you don't give a cop probable cause, or permission to search your car you have nothing to worry about. You could get popped for doing 150mph in a 25mph zone and even that does not give law enforcement the right to search your car. They can impound it, take your license away, and fine you a shit load of money, but they can't look under the hood unless you give them permission. The rules are clear with respect to probable cause. If contraband items are not visible, the officer can not look inside your car with out your permission. If your car is smoking a cop can send you for inspection, but they can't arbitrarily single you out because it's loud or fast. again, the threshold  for probable cause is "visible evidence". It's simple, don't drive without a hood, don't drive with a pound of coke and a loaded hand gun (on the front seat anyway), and never give a cop permission to search you car. 

Common mistakes in doing any engine swap without research and planning.

Not enough secure space to do a long job.

Not enough tool/skill to do fab work, electrical, tuning, etc.

Not enough time/motivation to keep the project moving

Not enough planning/prep to prioritize and execute hundreds of little jobs in all the right order.

Over optimistic budget planning without consideration for all the little pieces and parts that are actually needed to do the job right. 

If you're throwing all the money you have at this, just remember life continues happening even when you're doing a project ie. unexpected expenses/events. Your project war chest can become a flat chest in the blink of an eye.

Pretty sure you can stick any similar year engine (L16) or newer ones, but after '74? it will need all it's emissions equipment and must meet the emissions standards for that year of the newer engine. A '90 S13 KA24E engine will be smogged as a '90 KA24E car engine. It likely is less polluting that the original L16.

Yes it's unlikely you will get asked to show up for an emissions test as pre '74s were not tested.. but, this does not exempt them from a visual pass. It's a federal offense to remove or tamper smog equipment on ANY year vehicle. It's usually left to the state to enforce this law and I doubt they will, but that doesn't mean a cop won't bother, if aggravated enough. All he has to do is look under the front bumper if he doesn't see the inter cooler first.

Probable cause is the cop saying:.... is that marijuana I smell? step out of the car please.

• 1 month later...

Paradime, thanks for the mention in the swap list. We have wired quote a few SR20 powered 510's (VE and DE's). Both are good motors.

The DET has great power potential and a tremendous amount of parts support. 

One of our favorite customer Datun's though is a VE powered Roadster. When built right they can rev all day and make very reliable power.