Tranny question....SR20 1200

worksnaDELUXE

So I bought a tranny and have no clue what it is...I know it's a SR but don't know if it's a S13 or S14.

The problem is the throw out bearing, it seems there are two different kinds for SR's. Here's a pic of my tranny.

It was sold to me as a S14 SR20DET tranny, but the throw out bearing that came with my clutch kit seems too big.

The only conclusion that I can come to is that the TB was redesigned or some shit. When I look up KA24DE TB's they

look like the one on my SR, but from what I understand they're different sizes.

FullSizeRenderSRSR_zpsec2c79a2.jpg

Here's a pic of my old throw out bearing:

IMG_2112_zps2825aa19.jpg

Here's the one I was sent:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SR20DET+throw+out+bearing&biw=1384&bih=899&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8VNhVKeRL4ipNqqshPgI&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=amHrsWg5ZBCM-M%253A%3BG5ulYHucsJZ08M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcdn6.frsport.com%252Fimages%252Fdetailed_images%252FKoyo_TOB_SR20_02.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.frsport.com%252FKoyo-Bearing-BRG-810-Release-Throw-Out-Bearing---Nissan-S13-S14-SR20DET_p_13841.html%3B500%3B375

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The SR20DET is an import engine so info is sketchy.

Red Top SR20DETs are from '91 -'94 S13s. Black top SR20DETs are from late '94 and up. Our S14s began in '95 I don't know about the JDM ones.

The release bearing is only the round part in your picture. The thing it is pressed onto is the release bearing collar and they come in different lengths to match the pressure plate height. Usually all release bearing are the same or so close it doesn't matter.

This is the release or throwout bearing and collar that was on your engine???? So we know it fits and works.

IMG_2112_zps2825aa19.jpg

Hold the new bearing up the old good bearing. Same diameter? Is the contact area against the diaphragm fingers the same as the old bearing? Will it press onto the collar that holds it?  Are they wildly out?

If it doesn't match run the bearing you say looks the same as the KA bearing.

Do you have a picture of both bearings together? to compare them better?

The collar's are the same diameter, here's a pic with a comparison(my actually bearings and tranny):

As you can see the bearings functionality is different, or maybe the design is different and the function is the same.

One seems to roll on a collar and the newer one doesn't.

IMG_8447_zps2c57264b.jpg

The bulge bears against the pressure plate's diaphragm fingers. They should be close to the same.

Usually these are pre greased and sealed. Back in the day they were sold dry so you could grease them with your grease of choice. Not saying Nisan did this but just check that it's greased or sealed. If dry (probably greased) it won't last long.