72 to 73 620 and up brake booster upgrade?

mikeanike99

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Technicall there were no '72 620s. All '72s were considered 521s. There were some 620s made very late in the '72 model year but they were lumped in with the '73s. The earliest 620 (I know of) was made in April '72.

I don't know if the booster was the same for all years of 620 but.... In any case all L16 and L18 engined 620s (up through '74) had the same booster and master cylinder. I think the '75 to '77 were slightly larger master cylinder and the '78 and up were larger master again for the new disc brakes.

March '72 to August '72 Car Number 000001-092941 would be a half year model. These half year vehicles are ignored and more or less included in the next full year which is '73. Most all manuals show '73 and up for parts and repairs. No mention of the '72 half year.  

Sept '72 to Sept '73 Car Number 092942-324000 is the '73 model year. Much later this changeover of model years gravitated to June/July.

OK more precisely a 3/4" master cylinder was used from (mid'72) through '77 and then changed to 13/16"

The mid '72 through '74 brake booster is the same part number.   Later ones might work if you change everything you need.

Are the early ones the same as the B210 boosters or are the 210 smaller yet?  

FYI, The booster on my 74 and my brothers 72 look identical... It seems like there was a difference in the booster mounting between early and late 620s but I think it was just splined bolts on the adapter plate and all the dimensions were otherwise the same.

The mid '72 through '74 brake booster is the same part number.   Later ones might work if you change everything you need.

The '78 and up booster part number is totally different and the master is also larger so it may be the same size and it might fit but it may have different internals. It might be stronger than the early one too???

• 4 weeks later...