73' 510, "Rusted Hope" My first car

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the first time I've heard that complaint.. won't be the last!

I got a koyo for $250 shipped. Probably a but more than the champion but I don't have to swap it out all the time either.

• Like 1

Maybe start your own thread in General Discussion about this and introduce yourself. You're in Anonymous Waffle's build thread.

You'll need a job to support your 'new' car. You can't expect dad to pay for gas and insurance. Does dad even know about this?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Little update: 

My stock radio sadly doesn't work.. and its only an AM radio so I'm not particular about listening to christian church radio talk or something of the sorts, so we picked up a real low price bluetooth setup to play music. We just did a real quick hot glue to the  board to keep it from contacting and it works real well! 

IMG_20160417_181435623_zpslvesekyq.jpg

Here is also a quick picture from the last Sac Datsun fun run over onto Ice House road in Pollock Pines. Had a real fun time with keeping up with the other members, even though later we found that Ice house road was still snowed over  :rofl:

IMG_20160416_120213891_zpseix2wiwn.jpg

Picked up a 280z (not zx) 5 speed for 200$ from Adam, a fellow club member.. I dont know if he's on ratsun or not... Also the other tranny he gave us is completely toast 280zx 5 speed, but my guess is the shift fork is broken and thats why it wont let you get into any gear..... But it has a 4.11 speedometer pinion gear so thats a plus! (If you're on here Adam, ill return this zx tranny whenever im done pulling the stuff i need) 

IMG_20160418_155506309_zps1xdwhg1q.jpg

!!!! Need confirmation !!!!!!

I have heard that the 280z 5 speeds can go into a (originally) automatic 510 with the use of the automatic tranny x-member, just flipped the other way around. Is this true? If so, all I will need is another shortened driveshaft, or get a shop to cut my driveshaft, if need be. 

• Like 1

There should be numbers stamped somewhere...bell housing I believe....post them here..

PS. Car is looking great!

If you're wondering which 5speed is which, the cleaner one with 2 ears is a 280, and the dirty one with one ear is a zx tranny. By ears I meant the little exhaust hangers (?) That are located under the shifter location.

And thank you very much!

• Like 1

Did you get those carbs set better?, my guess is you'll gain power and mileage-win win.

It's not a issue of power out of the carbs, it's just too much for the little l16, even if we leaned it out a good bit, it still runs rich, but that's alright. The next motor will solve that issue :)

For the cost and time....I'd go L20b....it'll be a huge upgrade, just keep your L16 pan and pick up tube for the swap, simple and big upgrade at about the same cost $$$ think about it before you start anything....

Personal preference, ID rather not go l20b, I would like to keep my original motor back into my car.

Can you do a write up of the wiring process for that Bluetooth receiver? I'm interested in doing the same thing

Alright it's pretty simple.

IMG_20160417_181435623_zpslvesekyq.jpg

So for the power supply, we took a old 12v audio jack power supply http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-12V-1000mA-POWER-SUPPLY/dp/B001RF8ASG

And cut the wire off at an appropriate length, and split the wires for the negative and positive wires. We took the positive wire and crimped a bullet connector to connect that to the original radio power wire. The other wire we put a ring connector to ground it to the original radio mount.

The green box is the pot screw terminal for the speaker. Easy way to connect the pot screw to the speakers is to use two new wires, with bare exposed wires on one side, and spade connectors on the other side.

We used the original radio speakers and new wires, that's why our Bluetooth to speaker is comprised of two wires.

• Like 1

nice job on the bluetooth setup.

would you sell just the bell housing off the zx 5 speed?

That question is not up to me, since I don't own the zx 5speed, I just took it to get small plugs and such. But I can text Adam and see if he would like to sell the bell. He told me he was planning on making a table or something.