73' 510, "Rusted Hope" My first car

Update time:

Car was down after the Leafer Run Fun Run for SacDatsun, and was due to a leaky fuel pump that had a messed up seal, and sucked in oil. High RPM's caused oil to suck into the fuel pump and got squirted out of the pump causing a huge mess. After changing the fuel pump for another one, the bogging issue had occured once more, and lead to me being stranded outside of my school, and I had to push the car into school. My father came around to see the problem, thought he got the problem sorted, but had I had more trouble on my way home. 

Long story short: Fuel lines were clogged with some rust and shit. Which is weird since it took over 2000 miles for it to finally occur, even after we had cleaned out the fuel tank vigorously. 

IMG_20151108_132520073_zpskqqdbz4g.jpg

Stranded after a test drive  :thumbup:

Also, fixed an exhaust leak that came from the header pipe to the front exhaust. Gasket had blown, and never could fit right, so we put in two gaskets and solved the problem! For now.

IMG_20151101_150423711_HDR_zps7xfnpahy.j

This front pipe is tiger wrapped to stop some leaks (Ghetto but it works) And you can see all the pinholes that were leaking exhaust when the wrap was still soft.

Also, my NEW alternator might be taking a shit. Ill need your opinions, but sometimes, out of pure randomness, will make an unusual noise that will go away after turning the car off.

• Like 1
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

diapframe is broke in the fuel pump that why the oil. Most times its sucks gas in to the crack case( smell your oil)

exhaust I would not wrap it myself as it causes the pipe to keep the heat in more.

Fuel lines cloggeged??????? I cant believe that one you shoul like inside the fuel filter and cut it open.

Your idle JETt would have been plugged already. maybe it can happen. but more on the trucks and wagoon what I seen.

Retaining heat INSIDE exhaust pipe is always better. That's why performance cars ceramcoat their headers and even their entire exhaust. It reduces heat inside the engine bay and increases thermal expansion rates, which improves scavenging at high rpm.

• Like 1

Yeah it was clogged. We open the carb, needle was covered in junk, we replaced the fuel filter first, idled and revved for a few minutes, fuel wasnt getting sucked into the filter, which got more shit in it, we took if off, blew into the line, and it was definetly plugged. So we put in another filter near the tank, flushed the lines, and that blew alot of shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice build so far! At your age I picked up a 90% restored 280zx for $1500 (1999) and learned to turn wrenches from my mom much like you are from your dad. Never stop learning and dont take this time for granted, you will always remember it. I was looking at your signature, are you planning on painting the car yellow one day? Maybe you mentioned this in your thread and I missed it.     

• Like 1

Nice build so far! I was looking at your signature, are you planning on painting the car yellow one day? Maybe you mentioned this in your thread and I missed it.

Thank you very much, and haha no, I was bored one day and used ms paint to pixelate my car using a 510 template from someone elses pixelcarworld signature. I couldnt quite make the 125 beige color, so its yellow. Everything besides the quarter panel (replaced sometime in its life), door, and one quarter window, is the original color, so im keeping the patina ;)

Update!

Suspension was torn apart and we replaced the ball joints, and cut the springs.

Fronts have been replaced with some unknown springs that are the same diameter and height, but has been cut down 2 and 1/2 coils, and the rears are stock that are cut down 2 coils. Front is just a tad bit taller than the dropped rear, so that'll be next weeks quick project.

Running stock 13" rims, and the shocks are surprisingly OE shock absorbers from the factory, and are not blown! Test drove real quick, and is a tad bouncy, but still rides like it had before, so its still comfy! Its low enough for now  :thumbup:

IMG_20151128_195222675_HDR_zpswunzn5tl.j

IMG_20151128_202550719_zpsfmcrficq.jpg

Still in 'ok' condition!

IMG_20151128_202918984_zpszcq5owml.jpg

(Left) Stock (right) Other set of cut springs

IMG_20150805_183245533_zpsbile71yc.jpg

(Before)

IMG_20151129_175445906_HDR_zpsnquqslkz.j

(After)

• Like 9
  • 4 weeks later...

This happened about two weeks ago, car had some issues running, found the issue. BE CAREFUL ABOUT CHEAP FUEL PUMPS

IMG_20151224_144551560_zpsz2dat054.jpg

Completely fell apart in the motor, thankfully the spring or small parts didnt fall into the motor. 

Also, I think I might need a new shift knob  :rofl:

IMG_20151224_164244303_zpsshlvjldj.jpg

• Like 1

This happened about two weeks ago, car had some issues running, found the issue. BE CAREFUL ABOUT CHEAP FUEL PUMPS

IMG_20151224_144551560_zpsz2dat054.jpg

Completely fell apart in the motor, thankfully the spring or small parts didnt fall into the motor. 

Also, I think I might need a new shift knob  :rofl:

IMG_20151224_164244303_zpsshlvjldj.jpg

Same thing happened to my 521 shift knob. Just epoxy that shot back on. Lol. Also, haven't had a chance to check 510 tire size. Sorry. I will check as soon as I can.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

SU's are finally in and running top! Only small things need to be taken care of though, like a small fuel leak on the float bowl (Damn washer) And the airfilter setup, we'll be cutting up the roadster box, to use the air horns and work up some ghetto filter setup. 

IMG_20160102_223704864_zpsw4tuzvif.jpg

IMG_20160102_223659579_zpsshbsksyk.jpg

• Like 1

SU's are finally in and running top! Only small things need to be taken care of though, like a small fuel leak on the float bowl (Damn washer) And the airfilter setup, we'll be cutting up the roadster box, to use the air horns and work up some ghetto filter setup.

IMG_20160102_223659579_zpsshbsksyk.jpg

Looks great, I have that same carb setup. Just to busy with other peoples projects to work on mine the short time I'm in town. Need to stop that and get some of my things done. Great progress.
  • Like 2

Looks great, I have that same carb setup. Just to busy with other peoples projects to work on mine the short time I'm in town. Need to stop that and get some of my things done. Great progress.

Other people need to do their own projects so you can focus on your own man! But thank you very much

Be sure to do something with the fuel bowl overflow outlets, if not with the factory overflow tubes, then with something to keep fuel off of the exhaust manifold. If the float(s) take a dump, you could have a fire. A little story for back ground, started my car in the garage, went inside to get something that I left on the kitchen counter, came out to find the garage floor with gas all over it. One of the floats went bad and gas was pouring out of the one of the overflow tubes.  Thank god for the tubes that exit out under the exhaust manifold or I might be homeless right now.

Story of my current life..............

Other people need to do their own projects so you can focus on your own man! But thank you very much

There would be a LOT of unfinished projects........ :rofl:

Good work man!!

Keep it up....... :thumbup: