73' 510, "Rusted Hope" My first car

Hey everyone, my names Joseph and i just picked up my first car, a Datsun 73 510. Ive been a big fan of Datsuns ever since my father bought himself a 240z, and i always wanted a 510. I'm only 16 so im still pretty new to Datsuns so i am most definetly a Newbie, and any help would be very appreciated :thumbup:

Here's some pics for all ya:

-Missing Radiator, Grill, Lights-

20141018_084023_zpsc7da8588.jpeg

Some cancer rust

IMG_20141109_095819614_zpsaa0a59db.jpg

IMG_20141109_095809660_zps35daa4c9.jpg

-Missing almost all windows except for the rear and driver quarter window-

IMG_20141109_095801119_zps87e8bb46.jpg

20141018_084054_zps3456d0bf.jpeg

20141018_084048_zpse7e8f650.jpeg

All of the interior is shot up to hell. The last year of the license plate is 1990, so the previous owner left the car out in his field for probably 24 years :(

Also if anyone has any idea as to what the color is for my car, PLEASE TELL ME. The color code is completely gone..

• Like 3
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Everyone, my name is Joseph and I've been a Datsun enthusiast since I was a little kid, and earlier this week I just picked up my first car, a 73 510. I am only 16, so there will be a lot of newbie mistakes, but help would be appreciated.

I will post pics when I know how to?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

I merged your two posts with the same title to reduce confusion. Many people don't know how to post pictures so make sure you title any topics with what the topic is about.

• Like 1

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54932-photobucket-ratsun/

I merged your two posts with the same title to reduce confusion. Many people don't know how to post pictures so make sure you title any topics with what the topic is about.

Thank you very much! I made the first post without realizing how to post pics, then this post i actually posted the picture, bu thank you for doing that.

Those bumperettes (the black pads) are unreal! So clean! Never seen them before, don't think they are stock. Close up?

Nice looking dime. How's the door trim?

The black bumper over-riders are stock for the 73' 510, most likely a law passed around that time? But they're shot to hell. (And its too dardk out to take pics, I will take some when i can) They've gone through too much weather and sun, its no use. And the door trim, are you talking about the rocker panel trim, or the inside door panel? The door panels are pretty beat up from weather but most definetly fixable, and im missing one rocker panel trim. But thank you very much  :)

• Like 1

The black bumper over-riders are stock for the 73' 510, most likely a law passed around that time? But they're shot to hell. (And its too dardk out to take pics, I will take some when i can) They've gone through too much weather and sun, its no use. And the door trim, are you talking about the rocker panel trim, or the inside door panel? The door panels are pretty beat up from weather but most definetly fixable, and im missing one rocker panel trim. But thank you very much  :)

Probably the fore runner of the 'park bench' federally mandated 5MPH bumbers of the 70s. All of which destroyed the astetic look of our Datsuns.

• Like 1

Good luck with your build.

Thanks, it will definitely by a fun one!

Probably the fore runner of the 'park bench' federally mandated 5MPH bumbers of the 70s. All of which destroyed the astetic look of our Datsuns.

Most likely. The rubber over-riders aren't bad in my opinion, but they're too prone to the weather. I definetly like the metal ones with strips of rubber instead. Were the laws before 2.5 mph?

What the heck happened to the gas tank!?!? One side looks burnt, and the other looks corroded.

Here's my advice for you: Don't worry about the looks right now, and don't bother to paint it. Fix the mechanicals, get it drivable, and get it out on the road. Then fix little things as you go along, but always keep it drivable. If you try to do too much at once, it will end up as a non-usable project sitting in the yard. Trust me on that one. The ratty look is in right now anyways, so nobody is going to give you crap about the looks anyways. Work on the interior and engine as your budget allows. Then, some years down the line, fix the rust and have it painted.....but make sure you have *everything* you need *before* you strip it down for paint. I've been around 510's a long time, and owned many. Feel free to pm me any questions.

Here's my advice for you: Don't worry about the looks right now, and don't bother to paint it. Fix the mechanicals, get it drivable, and get it out on the road

EXACTLY

I think I would leave the outside the way it is. Patina/dents and all just get the bumbers and trim pcs .Then save up for a rust free one thats better if this rust is too far underneath.

get it running before you even buy a windsheild

• Like 1

Here's my advice for you: Don't worry about the looks right now, and don't bother to paint it. Fix the mechanicals, get it drivable, and get it out on the road. Then fix little things as you go along, but always keep it drivable. If you try to do too much at once, it will end up as a non-usable project sitting in the yard. Trust me on that one. The ratty look is in right now anyways, so nobody is going to give you crap about the looks anyways. Work on the interior and engine as your budget allows. Then, some years down the line, fix the rust and have it painted.... Feel free to pm me any questions.

EXACTLYI think I would leave the outside the way it is. Patina/dents and all just get the bumbers and trim pcs .Then save up for a rust free one thats better if this rust is too far underneath.get it running before you even buy a windsheild

Thats exactly what me and my father are planning on doing. I really don't mind the paint that's chipping or the rust thats showing, I just want to get her running nicely, "mechanics before aesthetics" it would take too much money for small body work and paint anyway, I just want her on the road and purring! (:

*thank you all for your opinions and help (:

• Like 1

What the heck happened to the gas tank!?!? One side looks burnt, and the other looks corroded.

To tell you the truth, I have no clue at all to what may have happened to the gas tank. The original owner of the car owned about 3 other 510's on his property, and all of their latest dates on the license plates are very similar. We bought the car from the friend of the owner, in which the owner paid his friend to sell his cars, so I have no contact to the original owner.

Interior update!

(Original Interior)

IMG_20141115_151931248_zps8c581d5f.jpg

IMG_20141115_152006215_zpsc5397f2c.jpg

IMG_20141115_152002123_zpseb3dced1.jpg

IMG_20141115_151958928_zps7cf8003c.jpg

Fun little moss and plants growing  :rofl:

IMG_20141115_160456582_zpsa17576ec.jpg

IMG_20141115_160521418_zpsc8142646.jpg

Fun little surprise left behind from 20~ years ago. (A old newspaper read 1995  :thumbup: )

IMG_20141115_153258441_zps257acd51.jpg

Rust underneath so far is in pretty good shape, or as told by my dad  ;)

• Like 1

Well you do not have to worry about the original ness of her. Give her a good cleaning and get her running and stopping good. Then do the interior how you want it. Get an aftermarket fuel tank the one you have looks shot, make sure you have good clean fuel from the tank to the motor. Good luck and enjoy her. Your still young and have plenty of time, you'll get there.

If the carpet is all there remove carefully and save for later to use as a template to cut new carpet. I have good results using vinyl spray paint on carpeting. Otherwise clean the shit out of there and wash and clean the floor so you can see what's what.

Seats are a dime a dozen at wrecking yards and old Datsun 'bucket seats' were absolutely terrible to sit in. Today's seats in a Neon are 50 X better. There's not a lot of call for them, billions were made so get them cheap. Get black or gray so it matches any color you go with on the outside later.

I run 280zx steering wheels in my 710s. I like the look, they have easy to find horn push buttons on the two spokes and a fall back one in the middle for when turning so you don't have to hunt for it. The diameter is slightly smaller so response is a bit quicker and best of all the rim is thickly padded unlike the stock ones. Your fingers won't get so sore driving around town trying to grip the coat hanger wire stock ones.

The door panels can be removed and used to trace out new ones on thin paneling. Cover with thin foam and vinyl or naugahyde.

Seat belts that are fuzzy with wear can be 'fixed' by using a lighter to melt off the fuzz. Darken them with vinyl paint.

Most 3N71B shift knobs are interchangeable so find a nice black one. Armor all will clean and restore the console. Replace rusty screws, it's a small thing that's not noticed but the rusty ones will.

Update! Figured out the color code of my car, Color 125, Beige. With some good lighting, found it on the sticker.

My father used Dry Ice to get rid of the tar mats on the flooring,

IMG_20141123_161238122_HDR_zps6eb5a524.j

IMG_20141123_162420888_HDR_zps395ee6b8.j

Pretty rust free, its not too bad at all.

IMG_20141123_165832503_zpsac7faafd.jpg

Next, up we will start on removing the dash.

And would anyone have any clue as to what this is? Its hanging underneath the driver's side of the dash?

IMG_20141123_162426749_zps9e024c55.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Quick Christmas Update, spent some time focusing on school finals more than the car. Also kinda got lazy  :rofl:

Everything in the interior has been taken out, vinyl had to be ripped out since it had a ton of rat feces inside it  :sick: Sorry but i don't have any photos. 

Also began on cleaning up the dash. Took it apart and started piece by piece.

Before:

IMG_20141207_1700030051_zpse8ab83fe.jpg

IMG_20141207_170027810_HDR_zps1eab4cb3.j

IMG_20141207_170008773_zpsd68375b6.jpg

IMG_20141207_170017371_zpse9265774.jpg

After some cleaning and some scrubbin:

IMG_20141226_221538063_zps2ad9118b.jpg

IMG_20141226_221546630_zps2ca9a734.jpg

Pretty sure some of you 510 fans probably know this, but since i have a 73, the heater control panel actually lights up, which I think is pretty damn cool  :thumbup:

IMG_20141226_211450869_zps32b5ed05.jpg

Still got more cleaning to do...

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Update! Havent updated in a while, so i might as well.

Entire dash is cleaned up and (almost) put together, this photo is just a fitment check. The dash pad still needs a cover. We picked up some cans of some matte black plastic paint and used it to repaint everything, and this stuff is amazingly close to the factory black, its simply amazing.

IMG_20150119_182308864_HDR_zpsdjztnl6p.j

Heres the Gauge cluster nicely cleaned up

IMG_20150116_160757461_HDR_zpsdeciqxfl.j

The entire car has been power washed, and what a difference that did.

IMG_20150111_091424687_zps3buvrlms.jpg

IMG_20150111_091432973_HDR_zpswvv3frl8.j

Spent all day today cleaning up and grinding all the rust off the floors, sadly revealing the floor showed all of its rust spots = more patchwork...

IMG_20150125_153005923_zpshu2vqyzo.jpg

IMG_20150125_164425946_zpshg8l2lxf.jpg

IMG_20150125_164433620_zps6s7m0gym.jpg

IMG_20150125_164441194_zpsuchvhxit.jpg

We also did an electrical check on the Hitachi radio after it was cleaned up. Hooked it up to the speaker, ghetto rigged a antenna out of a piece of wire, and it works just fine, even if it didnt pick anything up from the ghetto antenna. The stuff on this car is damn tough!

IMG_20150125_135147245_zpsspejcumg.jpg

Also received the parts i ordered from TJ, also known as Yenpit here on Ratsun, got some of the necessary parts i needed from him for a reasonable price, thanks again TJ.

• Like 2