1984 Datsun Maxima Wagooooooon! HRH's new summer daily. (Wynona)

HRH

I just looked at the SSR reverse mesh, they look nice.  New, they're anywhere from 500-900 per wheel.  Ebay I see 400 per 2.   Fuck a double duck, homie can buy a lot of race tires for that coin.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  As long as the wheel is made halfway decently and can balance out on the machine, I'm good.  If I'm paying 500-900 for a wheel, I'll damn well make it myself and spend a lot of time doing so.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then find me cheap wheels made in Japan that look like the shakotans, I'll buy them, really, I will! ;)

I just looked at the SSR reverse mesh, they look nice.  New, they're anywhere from 500-900 per wheel.  Ebay I see 400 per 2.   Fuck a double duck, homie can buy a lot of race tires for that coin.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  As long as the wheel is made halfway decently and can balance out on the machine, I'm good.  If I'm paying 500-900 for a wheel, I'll damn well make it myself and spend a lot of time doing so.

I told you I would sell you a set for less than the Rotas, just let me get them in first!!, They should be coming this weekend.

Ah yes, but too wide.  Can't do 8" on the wagon.  Need 7".  Only going to run 195s.  I may just be using my 280zx snowflakes, just don't like them as much as the shakotans.  You have any pictures of the wheels of which you speak?

I will soon I believe, but their SSR reverse mesh type A, are you sure you cant use an 8.5/8 if they are in the right offset?

if you look at ebay user skate07, which is 4th up JDM imports, you will find tons of wheels cheaper than the south asian stuff, and its all Japanese goodness.

I just checked, none I like except 14" but I want 15".  The 15x8s on the race Maxima now barely clear the big swaybar with a 0 offset and we pulled out the fenders quite a ways.  I can pull out the fenders, but I'd like to not have to do that on the wagon.  If I go with a +25 or something, that's going to push the wheel farther in, probably going to hit swaybar or strut.  Thinking 7" wide is all the wider I want, plus I don't want to stretch the 195 on the wheel.

They should, maybe a wee bit of fender massaging.  We had to do a LOT to get them to clear.  Front was easy, rear took a bit of work and a big slide hammer.  By the way, just sent this email to Nissan corporate.  Hope they email me back!

Hi! As the proud owner of not one, but two 1984 Datsun/Nissan Maxima 810s, I was hoping someone at Nissan could provide me with production unit numbers, preferably numbers for wagons and sedans separately, total units produced in '84 alone, and '81-'83 production unit totals. Yes, I know, it's odd for someone to love an ugly rear wheel drive vehicle manufactured in the 80s. But I do, and there are more of us. And we plan on keeping our 810s (910 variants) alive. Sadly, most of the parts I try to get from Nissan have been discontinued, but that's a separate matter. We Datsun folk are blessed with ingenuity, thankfully. If you could find those numbers, it would be most appreciated by myself and the handful of other first generation Maxima owners. Thanks! -Matt Albertson NAPA Store Manager Cheney, WA

By the way, do you need headlight/grille clips for your Maxima?  My buddy just produced the first 4 from his 3D printer.  Haven't seen them in person, but they look pretty nice.  I bought the LAST one in existence from Jaremko this last week so he could get the correct dimensions for a cad file.  Don't know how much it's going to cost me for a silly clip, but if they aren't being made by Nissan anymore, I figured I might as well have them made.

• Like 1

Okay, since I have now brought wheel issues to the forefront, I figured I'd find out EXACTLY what the specs are on my snowflakes, for all to know. Reason being, the snowflakes fit PERFECTLY on 810 Maximas 81-84. They're still not my favorite, but they're starting to grow on me. Particularly if I paint the interior and leave the lip bare.

Anyway, total rim width is 181 mm lip to lip.

EDIT:  So apparently backspacing is wheel hub to actual outer edge.  Thus a 6" wide snowflake is actually 7.12" wide.  I was trying to figure out why the offset and backspacing didn't jive.

Wheel hub from front actual lip is 80 mm.
Wheel hub from rear actual lip (backspacing) is 101 mm.
The wheel lips are 15 mm thick, so subtract 30mm for 151 mm actual wheel width.

So that means the centerline of the wheel is 90.5 mm
Which means the offset is +10.5mm for a 6" wide wheel to fit perfectly on the Maxima. It's almost herrafrush. Had to edit that, forgot to subtract one 15 mm wheel lip.

However, I need to calculate a 7" wide wheel, which will change the offset I think? I'm heading to the parent's house for Christmas lights, I'll ponder it when I get back and do some more measuring, also vs. the 8" wide XXRs I have since they're about as close inside as they can be without hitting.

• Like 1

Ok, so with a 15x7" wheel, I need a 35.9 mm offset to keep the additional inch all on the inboard side of the wheel.  Splitting the difference, I could use a 23 mm offset and only go out a 1/2" on each side.  Pretty sure a half inch more would clear the fenders, have to check.

• Like 1

So I can't remember where I posted the email to Nissan I put forth the other day regarding number of 810 Maximas produced and specifically '84 models and specifically wagons, but anyway, got a nice email back from Nissan consumer affairs stating they would need an additional 5-7 days to scrounge up the information I seek.  Way cool!  Looks like I might actually get an answer!

• Like 2

Yeah, hope I get what I'm looking for.  On the other hand, I'm debating ordering the shakotans in a different offset now that I know what will work.  Main reason being I'm worried about keeping them clean.  I will be driving dirt roads and that big polished outer looks super sweet, but that may also attract rock dings, road grit, etc.  I'm thinking the snowflakes might weather rough roads better.  Not that I'm planning on rallying the wagon, but I may well take a trip or two and I'll probably hit up some back roads.  Plus, the snowflakes are cheaper because I already have them.  Really not wanting to spend another 600 on wheels.  I almost thought of calling American racing and asking if they could send me some AR23s but with the center not cut out and not drilled for a specific bolt pattern.  Then I could take them down to Joe's and have him put them in the mill and make them the bolt pattern I want.

Well sorry gamez, I bit the bullet.  Have four shakotans heading my way in a 15x7 in a +25 offset.  Should fit nearly perfect, might need slight fender pulling, which shouldn't be a problem.  You want to buy my snowflakes? ;)

Weird... guys will pay tons of money for an all-original car, and here you are knocking it for having all its original hoses and wires.  :P  :rofl:

On a serious note, though, looks like a fairly well-kept car other than that. Where I live all of these things returned to the earth years ago- I can't recall even seeing one in a salvage yard in recent memory.

Haha, yeah, I suppose I should be happier.  I'm over it now, that was a while ago.  I just believe in replacing things before they reach the end of their service life.  Rubber and wires should be replaced in intervals like oil.  3 months or 3000 miles.  Mileage or time period.  30 years is a little too long for original spark plug wires and hoses, regardless of 100k miles. ;)

Either way, still stoked and she's going to look sweet on the new wheels this summer.

Then tell American wheel manufacturers to start making cool J-spec stuff.  That's where it's at.  I know good quality wheels are just that, but realistically, those XXRs I got are excellent quality.  As good as any factory wheel I've seen.  Clean molds, clean casting, strong enough to be beaten the crap out of and not break.  I love America, but no American companies want to make styles of wheels I like in styles of bolt patterns and offsets that fit.  That's their problem.  By rights, I should shun Datsun and drive a 'murican car!  Then I'd have tons of choices!  And they'd all be over-priced.  I can't justify spending 400-800 per wheel unless its for a racing wheel that is so light it can be picked up by a baby.  That I would pay for the engineering.

Then, what about style?  Have you seen the gaudy crap American Racing puts out that people actually run on their rigs?  Grotesque.  Not clean designs, fake bolts everywhere, but chunky spokes with gold flake and shit.  If morons want to spend their hard-earned money on that, I'll spend mine on Phillipino wheels that are good quality and reasonably priced.

• Like 2