1984 Datsun Maxima Wagooooooon! HRH's new summer daily. (Wynona)

HRH

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!  I think those looked better with the short noses, except the station wagons.  However, the 81-84 has the right proportions for the long nose I think.  I'm very fond of her.  Especially since she's not making weird noises now!  I'm actually sort of liking the automatic.  But, if it ever craps out, it's getting a 5 speed.

• 1 year later...

Wow, long time since an update!  Still have not installed the center console I got, but no matter.  More important things.  During last week's trip to Oregon, I didn't like how bouncy the wagon's rear was.  Changed rear shocks just before I went and of course nothing but cheap available for an '84 Maxima wagon.  Fit 720, 620, etc.  But all those have stiff springs.  This has stiffer than stock, but either way, the bounce control sucks.

So I started digging through the pdf of shocks, which can't be sorted and is a giant egg hunt.  Anyway, ended up finding a suitable stronger replacement.  Off a Nissan Quest minivan.  37098 (NS) is the part number.  The factory replacement is 94008 (RR)  One problem, they do have 1.25" less droop.  However, she's lowered and I'm not that worried about it.  Tomorrow I'll drive it to work and see if I like the difference.  They also have an inch shorter compression height, which isn't an issue due to bump stops.

I also had to rethread the upper mount stud, it decided to strip the nut and kill the threads in the middle fortunately.  Chased it with a die and then used some washers to put the bolt farther out to the end where the threads were still good.

wagonshocks1_zps59imsvjn.jpg

wagonshocks2_zpsr8t9qzda.jpg

This is about a 1/4" off the ground.

wagonshocks3_zpswvtcc5af.jpg

I can still fit a hand in at full droop.  Less than before but I think she'll be fine for the road.

• Like 2

Yep!  Lol.  Update, the new shocks work WAAAY BETTER!!  Haven't noticed the lack of droop to be an issue.  Rear end stays planted over bumps now.

• Like 1